AK Party gov’t spokesman confirms National Intelligence Organization profiling of faith-based movements


Date posted: December 4, 2013

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government spokesman confirmed that the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) profiled some movements and groups, but rejected allegations that the government had taken action against those groups upon MİT profiling.

AK Party government spokesperson Hüseyin Çelik raised the issue of government profiling of a large number of individuals who are believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups, a subject that has caused public outcry over the past three days, leading to mounting questions over the state of individual rights and freedom in Turkey.

Speaking at a press conference, Çelik addressed the delicate issue of profiling in what seems an attempt to assuage public concerns over state’s encroachment on  social and faith-based groups, and confirmed that the MİT indeed profiled some certain groups. He, however, denied any government wrongdoing and assigned the blame on the entrenched institutional habits of the MİT, the major intelligence organization of the country.

“Even Hakan Fidan becomes MİT Undersecretary or whoever comes to the top position, some old –fashioned habits of far-reaching monitoring and profiling hardly fade away,” said Çelik who asserted that profiling and collecting data are routine practices.

The Turkish government profiled a large number of individuals whom it believed to be followers of certain religious and faith-based groups and monitored their activities up until 2013, a Turkish daily reported on Monday.

According to the report, the profiling of individuals did not end in 2010 as previously claimed, but it continued between 2011 and 2013. Those mainly profiled are reportedly followers of Hizmet, a faith-based movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. The daily also claimed that other religious groups that voiced criticism or disapproval of the government’s activities were also profiled, mainly civil servants or those who planned or hoped to be employed in a state post.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 4, 2013


Related News

Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Gulen movement aimed at consolidating his own power and regime

Hermann says Erdoğan’s efforts to destroy the Hizmet movement are aimed at consolidating his own power and regime. “Erdoğan wants to wipe out everyone whom he sees as a rival. There are not many left to challenge him. That left the Hizmet movement as a corrective force. The movement is a danger to him.

Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent. They now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement.

Mother of four under detention for months on coup charges

A tweet posted by Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, an academic and a columnist for the t24 news website, revealed that a Turkish woman with four children has been kept in pre-trial detention for nine months on alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group.

Erdoğan now at odds with once-closest ally

Those who have an interest in Turkish politics may have been a little confused for the last few weeks, observing the row between Prime Minister Tayyip Erdoğan’s Justice and Development Party (AK Parti) government and the social movement of religious scholar Fethullah Gülen, or the “Hizmet” (Service) movement as they preferred to be called. The row is over the closure of private prep schools (“dershane” in Turkish).

Children from all over the world embarked on Turkish voyage

Around 22 years ago, Fethullah Gülen said, “The day will come when you will no longer fit into the stadiums.” In fact, it turned out to be true. The Turkish Olympiad, which began in 2003 with young people from 17 different countries, has grown to the point that this year we hosted 2,000 students from 140 countries. The Olympiad came to an end in Istanbul with a magnificent final ceremony.

Islamists’ xenophobic policies threaten Turkey

The assaults on Korean tourists and a Uighur chef, who were mistaken for Chinese people, in İstanbul last week have shown the extent of damage dealt to this moderate nation of Turks by the Islamist rulers, who provide political clout to hate crimes and xenophobia in order to sustain their waning power in the government.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Physicians heal Somali sufferers

African Initiative on Education for Peace and Development through Inter-religious and Intercultural Dialogue

Filipino-Turkish School of Tolerance Donates Beef in Feast of Sacrifice

Report reveals repercussions of AK Party fight against Gülen movement in Africa

First International Science Projects Olympiads of Indonesia organized by the Turkish schools

Turkey’s Erdogan Battles Country’s Most Powerful Religious Movement

Turkish school staff among 230 more evacuated from Yemen

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor