Ruling AKP officials downplay tension with Gülen movement


Date posted: November 22, 2013

Despite all the signals to the contrary, senior executives of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) said they will not allow for conflict between their party and the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement, while also warning that nobody should try to take advantage of such an imaginative clash.

Pre-existing tension between the government and Gülen’s movement (also known as the “Community,” “Cemaat” in Turkish, or “Service,” “Hizmet” in English) has escalated after Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan announced plans to abolish private examination prep schools, many of which were financed and run by Gülen’s followers. The tension has recently peaked, with Erdoğan describing the group’s objection to his government’s plans as “a smear campaign.”

In an interview with Anadolu Agency, AKP’s Central Decision and Executive Board (MKYK) member Bülent Gedikli first of all noted that their reform of prep schools was not a recently drafted plan and it should be regarded as a transformation of prep schools to private schools instead of a closure.

“There may be some objections to and criticisms of this, but this is the decision that has been made. Our Prime Minister has provided sufficient explanations on the matter,” Gedikli told Anadolu.

“This process will continue. Discussing this as a fight between the AKP and the Cemaat is already a mistake and it doesn’t go anywhere. This should be discussed on the basis of an education system, and in this manner a healthy conclusion can be reached.

An approach suggesting that the AKP and the Cemaat are fighting with each other may be desirable for some circles, but we never allow such a thing. Nobody should attempt to fish in troubled waters. No opportunity will be offered to them and they cannot find whatever they are looking for; they will only be left empty-handed,” Gedikli said.

AKP’s deputy parliamentary group chair Mustafa Elitaş, meanwhile, ruled out assumptions that the prep school move would adversely affect the AKP’s performance in upcoming local elections in March 2014.

In its practices, the AKP has so far never entertained election-related sentiment in policy formulation nor in what step to take next, Elitaş said in response to a question.

“I believe that it [the prep school move] will bring in votes to us,” Elitaş further said.

Gülen’s supporters say they number in millions while some AKP executives, speaking with Radikal daily newspaper on condition of anonymity, said they estimated that the percentage of Gülen supporters among voters of the AKP was only one percent.

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , November 22, 2013


Related News

Erdogan set up Maarif Foundation to seize Hizmet-inspired Turkish Schools

Despite tremendous efforts exerted by the government, only a few countries have given in to pressure from Ankara over the shutdown of Hizmet-linked schools, with a majority of them refusing to meet the demands of the Turkish government.

Turkish police detain another woman shortly after caesarean delivery

A Turkish women, Nazlı N. Mert, who has just given birth to a baby in Ankara, was detained by police teams and transferred to police station with her newly-born baby on Saturday as part of post-coup witch hunt campaign targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement.

ISIS ‘Infiltrates’ Erdogan’s Maarif Foundation

There are indications that the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS), may have infiltrated the ranks of the Turkish Cooperation and Coordination Agency (TIKA), promoters of the recently established Maarif Foundation.

To escape punishment, punish them all

The Turkish prime minister has decided that if he continues to be angry and vengeful, his power will be cemented. In his latest address in Parliament, he pushed his angry discourse to higher — or lower — levels, to make clear that he will not forgive and he will punish. Since he has chosen the Hizmet movement as the enemy, all he wants to do is inflict harm, regardless of on who or what.

Turkish schools are being closed down

Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu stated he had ordered the closure of Turkish schools in 160 countries, arguing that the officials of those schools had sent letters to the leaders of foreign countries in which they complained about the Turkish government. The closure of these schools is a serious step, but the reason for the closure is not based on real evidence.

Gezi anniversary reminder of Erdogan’s nine lives

Although Gulen was Erdogan’s principle ally in clipping the wings of the staunchly secularist Turkish military, he quickly became his nemesis and thousands of policemen, and prosecutors accused of being Gulen followers were dismissed or displaced in what amounted to a sweeping political pogrom.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

What ‘struggle for power’? [Between the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and the Fethullah Gülen movement ]

An American’s journey into a Hizmet school in Turkey

Turkish cleric calls for international body to examine coup charges

‘Mr. Gülen is to me simultaneously both incredibly modest and a visionary’

Jailed Zaman editor says we are journalists, not terrorists

Turks living in Britain see it as their duty to integrate

Opinion: Does the Turkish Intelligence Agency Plan to Abduct Turkish Dissidents from the US?

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor