Prep school debate [in Turkey] continues

TUĞBA AYDIN
TUĞBA AYDIN


Date posted: November 22, 2013

Tugba Aydin

The government plan to close down prep schools continues to remain a hot topic in the country.

In the latest development in the debate, Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) referred its Kütahya deputy İdris Bal — who opposes the government’s planned closure of the prep schools — to the party’s disciplinary board for expulsion on Thursday. A statement released by the AK Party said that Bal was referred to the disciplinary board on the grounds that he gave “speeches that conflict with party politics,” implying that it may have been due to tweets made by Bal last week.

According to Bugün columnist Adem Yavuz Arslan, some newspapers, such as Akit, use very harsh language against the Hizmet movement in the prep school debate. Arslan wrote that newspapers are free to criticize things, but the criticism cannot be made as a form of revenge. The right to open a prep school is a democratic right, Arslan said. He said he does not think that members of the Hizmet movement are rising up against the government, as some suggest, but that they are only trying to express that it is wrong to close the prep schools.

Kütahya deputy Bal last Thursday tweeted his opinion that prep schools serve an important purpose in leveling out disparities in the quality of education. In another tweet, he added: “A private company cannot be opened or shut down on orders. Because the market does not operate according to orders, this system will continue underground.” Columnists shared their views on the prep school debate.

Zaman’s Mustafa Ünal said that politicians cannot remain indifferent to what the public wants and he believes that the government will lend an ear to what people think on the prep school issue and make their final decision accordingly, even though the government has shown its resolution in closing the prep schools.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 22, 2013


Related News

8 detained in police raids on İzmir schools as Erdoğan’s witch hunt continues

Eight people were detained on charges of forging documents in police raids on 30 private schools established by volunteers from the faith-based Gülen movement early on Tuesday in İzmir, as part of a Justice and Development Party (AAK Party government-orchestrated operation targeting the movement.

Survey shows Turkish gov’t seized at least $11 billion of company assets over Gülen links

Turkish government has transferred about 49,4 billion liras ($11 billion) of assets of 1,124 companies seized from those who have alleged affiliation to the Gülen movement to a special fund under a crackdown that began following a controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Turkey’s looming prison massacre grows nearer

It appears Erdogan fears that if the judiciary begins trial for key political prisoners, the prisoners would have a venue at which to speak and raise questions Erdogan does not want addressed, especially with regard to the possibility that the events on the evening of July 15 were Turkey’s equivalent of the Reichstag fire.

Erdogan’s dirty deal: Afghanistan to hand over control of Gülenist schools to Turkey

Afghan authorities have drafted a deal giving the Turkish government control of more than a dozen schools in Afghanistan affiliated with the exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen. Western and Afghan officials believe the agreement is part of a bargain allowing Afghanistan’s vice-president, Abdul Rashid Dostum, who has been accused of abducting and torturing a political rival, to seek exile in Turkey.

How Christians conspired Christian murders in Turkey

Last Wednesday, my Twitter followers attracted my attention to a “news piece.” The “news” was in Aksam daily, one of the semi-official newspapers of the Justice and Development Party (AKP). When I looked at it, I immediately saw my name and other words, such as “Zirve murder,” “parallel structure” and so on in its headline at the top of the paper.

Gülen says talk of raid against Zaman aims to intimidate

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in self-exile in Pennsylvania, said on Thursday that the rumors of a crackdown against Hizmet movement-affiliated media is a “perception operation and aims to intimidate and oppress people.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Court accepts indictment against 9 officers in case seen as political witch hunt

Turkey’s Reichstag Fire

Turkish PM tightens grip on judiciary in parliament vote

Teacher detained just after giving birth, handcuffed to bed at hospital

Bosnian Court Lifts Movement Restrictions on Turkish Citizen

Russian envoy’s murderer attended sermons of controversial pro-Erdoğan cleric

Abant tackles contentious issue of drafting new constitution

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor