GYV’s Istanbul Summit and Peace Projects presented in New York


Date posted: October 12, 2013

A reception was held by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on September 30, 2013 in New York to promote its two international projects, Istanbul Summit and Peace Projects. Numerous representatives to the United Nations (UN) who came to New York to attend the 68th UN General Assembly meeting as well as journalists, academics and foreign diplomats were hosted at the GYV office on the 5th Avenue. Chief of Nongovernmental Organizations (NGO) Branch of the UN Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) Adrei Abramov, Permanent Observer to the UN Narinder Kakar, Press Counselor of the Permanent Representation of Spain to the UN Florentino Sotomayor Basabe and Adviser to the Permanent Representation of Saudi Arabia to the UN Maisah Sobaihi attended the reception.

Delivering an opening speech at the reception, GYV President Mustafa Yeşil explained the activities the Foundation is conducting to promote dialogue and coexistence. Yeşil noted that the GYV is the only NGO from Turkey that is in the consultative status with the ECOSOC and it has opened two branches –in New York and Geneva– since it obtained this status in 2012. Referring to the significance of the Foundation’s international projects, Istanbul Summit and Peace Projects, Yeşil indicated that the GYV will continue to closely monitor the agenda of the UN and develop projects for promoting this agenda. Then, presentations were made to introduce Istanbul Summit and Peace Projects.

Istanbul Summit is a project developed by the GYV to organize summit meetings among NGOs. The first meeting of this project is titled “UN Post-2105 Development Agenda from the Perspective of Women” and planned to be held in May 2014 in İstanbul with participation of women NGO representatives, parliamentarians and women leaders. The GYV is further planning to crown its 20-year experience in coexistence and dialogue with its Peace Projects Grant Program that will provide feasible peace projects with funds amounting up to $50,000.

Source: The Journalists and Writers Foundation , October 09, 2013


Related News

Despite blocking accounts, Kimse Yok Mu able to collect donations

Despite the latest step in a government crackdown on Turkey’s UN-affiliated aid organization, Kimse Yok Mu, in which two banks blocked the organization’s accounts, administrators for the charity have said they are still able to collect money through their other accounts.

Hizmet’s focus is on serving humanity, not only promoting Turkish

BÜLENT KENEŞ June 5, 2012 His life changed completely when a Turk moved to the apartment block where he was living in Moscow. His parents had divorced and his mother had become an alcoholic and a drug user. “I have turned into a street kid,” he had said. One day he met a member of […]

Foundation gives to poor students

Nigerian Turkish International Colleges Foundation (NTIC Foundation) has started distributing 13,000 learning aids to underprivileged students. The project is known as “I Support a Child’s Education”.

Canadian singer Loreena McKennitt praises Fethullah Gülen’s work

In her remarks, she recalled Gülen’s call for love, compassion, forgiveness and celebration of diversity for which she affirmed her full support. ‘I personally relate to Mr. Gülen’s ideas and his whole views very much. I think he has identified some very critical points up from which we must consider taking on our lives. I was very impressed about to hear his work and all the centers around the world that are supporting his work. I would love to support it by myself.’

Exit strategy for the AKP

Hizmet’s Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) reiterated last month, the AKP must, as soon as possible, start working towards EU reforms, the establishment of a fully democratic Turkey, the establishment of the rule of law, the most advanced fundamental rights and freedoms, equality of all before the law, a civilian constitution and a transparent state that can be held accountable.

U.S. would look weak, and be weak, if they sent Muslim cleric back to Turkey

For two years, Christians have prayed for the release of the Rev. Andrew Brunson, an American held in prison in Turkey. His recent release by a Turkish Court was a source of joy for America. But if it leads to the murder of the most anti-terrorist Muslim cleric who is living in America, as part of some sick “trade, …

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

28th Abant Meeting “Diverse Perspectives on Turkey” to be held in February 2013

African firms signal increased trade at TUSKON meeting

Grade 12 Pupil Receives A Bronze Medal At 61st International Maths Ambassador

Peacebuilders Conference – Call for Papers:

Acclaimed Russian academic praises Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen

Kurdish paper Rudaw’s interview with Fethullah Gulen

Islamic scholar Gülen offers condolences to ferry victims

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor