Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz
Dr. Ihsan Yilmaz


Date posted: October 10, 2013

Ihsan Yilmaz

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent.

It seems that even some members of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) believed in this extravagant conspiracy theory. In a country where we have had a military coup every 10 years, it was surprising that these people could argue so firmly that the defendants would never attempt to stage a coup against a government they openly despised. Nonetheless, the 9th Criminal Chamber of the Supreme Court of Appeals on Wednesday announced its ruling in the appeal of the Sledgehammer coup plot trial, upholding the convictions of 237 defendants, including retired Gen. Çetin Doğan.

As Today’s Zaman reported on Wednesday, the court overturned the convictions of 63 defendants, while the prison sentences of 237 defendants, including retired Gen. Çetin Doğan, were upheld. Explaining its grounds for overturning the convictions of 63 defendants, the high court said they should have been charged with membership in a criminal organization instead of a failed coup attempt. Among the defendants for whom the high court upheld prison sentences were Generals Halil İbrahim Fırtına, Özden Örnek, Nejat Bek, Bilgin Balanlı, Şükrü Sarıışık, Dursun Çiçek and Süha Tanyeri. During the 17th hearing in August, which was reportedly the longest in the Supreme Court of Appeals’ history, 96 defense lawyers made statements for nearly 120 hours on behalf of 361 indicted individuals in which they claimed to have digital evidence that suggested the basis for the case had been faked.

Sledgehammer is an alleged coup plot created at a military gathering in 2003. According to the plan, the military was to systematically foment chaos in society through violent acts, among which were planned bomb attacks on the Fatih and Beyazıt mosques in İstanbul. The plot sought to undermine the government, laying the groundwork for a military takeover. Thus, the suspects were accused of a failed attempt to overthrow the government. The Sledgehammer documents formed the basis of a presentation given by Doğan during a military conference from March 5-7, 2003, held at the Selimiye barracks. According to the court, the conference, part of a series of regular “war seminars” in which military officers brainstormed case studies, was far from a “routine scenario” and in fact involved a plan for a coup d’état. Retired Gen. Doğan, speaking at the Selimiye seminar, reportedly said Article 35 of the Internal Service Code gives the military sufficient authority to perform a coup.

The Sledgehammer defendants have consistently argued that the police and lower courts were “infiltrated” by supporters of the Hizmet movement, and that this movement targeted them. They also claimed that all these “lies” and “fabrications” would be detected by the Supreme Court of Appeals, which has older judges who were appointed long before the AKP’s rise to power. As is well known, the supreme courts are the castles of the Kemalist oligarchy, and citizens from practicing Muslim backgrounds would never be appointed to positions at them. It is now clear that the defendants have always stuck to the maxim “never underestimate the power of denial.” Yet, the Supreme Court of Appeals looked at the concrete evidence, not their scenarios and conspiracy theories.

Many people now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement, and these people include some of our conservative-democrat or liberal-democrat friends, colleagues and columnists who implied that the movement was behind some conspiracy against these defendants. It is impossible to forget how some of them recited verses from the Quran, reminding the movement to be just.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 9, 2013


Related News

Dr. Esposito: The Gulen Movement Introduces Turkey To The World

AYTEN ÇİFTÇİ İSTANBUL – Oct.9, 2011 John L. Esposito, an American Professor of Islam, praised the Gulen Movement and the Turkish Schools operating around the world. He said: “ They have one goal. That is to enlighten the world with education. This is why we need the Gülen Movement in this age.” Dr. John L. […]

The turmoil in Turkey – The terror threat is real and is made worse by Erdogan’s paranoia

Mr. Erdogan’s own Islamist and autocratic tendencies have also compounded the country’s vulnerability. Since an attempted coup last summer, the President has purged thousands of police officers and soldiers, and the resulting talent and resources gap may have damaged Ankara’s counterterror capabilities.

Criminal complaint filed against media organizations publishing Gülen’s speeches

An organization called the Law and Democracy Foundation which was established by lawyer Mehmet Ali Canlı, a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) hopeful in the June 7 general election, on Wednesday filed a criminal complaint against media organizations that publish the speeches of Fethullah Gülen, a renowned Islamic scholar.

17,000 women, 515 babies in Turkish prisons: SCF report

Thousands of women in Turkey, many with small children, have been jailed in an unprecedented crackdown and subjected to torture and ill-treatment in detention centers and prisons as part of the government’s systematic campaign of intimidation and persecution of critics and opponents, a new report has revealed.

Erdoğan calls on people to show no mercy to Gülen movement

Amid an ongoing witch-hunt targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Saturday called on people to not show mercy to the movement, saying the pitiful will be pitied, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported.

Mother of four under detention for months on coup charges

A tweet posted by Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, an academic and a columnist for the t24 news website, revealed that a Turkish woman with four children has been kept in pre-trial detention for nine months on alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Sareshwala: Agitation and confrontation doesn’t get Muslims anywhere

Turks Fleeing a Crackdown Find Haven in Albania

Somalia’s brightest compete for education in Turkey

Prime Ministry approved Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of ‘terrorism’

TUSKON offers Brazilian investors cooperation in tourism

Today is another Human Rights Day, but atrocities persist | Opinion

Hizmet in Context: Societal Islam Versus Political Islam

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor