Turkish Authorities Deny Funeral Service for Drowned Gulen Supporters and babies


Date posted: July 31, 2018

Local municipality officials in western Turkey denied funeral service and funeral vehicle for six people, including three babies, who drowned while attempting to reach Greek island of Lesbos in a bid to flee persecution in their home country.

On early Sunday, six Turkish asylum seekers, who were believed to have ties to Gulen Movement, died when a boat carrying 16 people capsized off northwestern Turkey coast.

The bodies were taken to Ayvalik Hospital Morgue in Ayvalik, a coastal district of the northwestern province of Balikesir. Then they were transferred to Bursa State Hospital Forensic Institution for an autopsy report. Bursa mayor refused to provide a funeral vehicle for the slain bodies due to their perceived links to Gulen Movement.

Omer Faruk Gergerlioglu, former human rights activist and a lawmaker from pro-Kurdish People’s Democracy Party (HDP), wrote on Twitter that the municipality blocked public service to the victims. “No funeral vehicle to FETO,” Mayor Alinur Aktas instructed the officials, he said.

The Turkish government labeled Gulen Movement as a terrorist organization and remanded more than 50,000 people in jail over real or perceived ties to the group. Ankara placed the blame for the failed 2016 coup on the group.

After the lawmaker brought the claim in social media, Bursa Metropolitan Municipality Public Relations Department denied that.

Asked by journalists, Department Director Ahmet Bayhan noted that the municipality does not make politics through dead bodies of people and they provide service to citizens regardless of their political and social affiliation.

“We have no such an instruction. We don’t make politics over funerals; our job is to provide service,” he said.

In a statement by the municipality, it said families wanted to send bodies to far away provinces. According to the procedure, the municipality informed the families that corpses should be brought by plane. When the families preferred land route, they found vehicles with their own measures, without any service by the municipality.

During the state of emergency, which ended on July 18, more than 150,000 public workers have been either suspended or dismissed from civil service and security bureaucracy over charges of having links to Gulen Movement. The arbitrariness, the lack of fair trial and due process sparked international criticism during the post-coup purge.

The HDP lawmaker, a physician and an academic, was also dismissed from his job. He frequently brings the cases of victims to national attention and now in Parliament.

International human rights groups have called on Turkey to restore rights of the purge victims. But Ankara has so far refused the calls.

 

Source: The Globe Post , July 30, 2018


Related News

PM continues war he already lost

If a statement appearing in the Cumhuriyet daily, where the prime minister was quoted as saying that the “money used [in corruption] belongs to the state, not the people” reflects the truth, then this is a clear acknowledgement of wrongdoing.

Amnesty International: Malaysia’s extradition puts three Turkish men at risk of torture

“By sending these three men suspected of links to Fethullah Gülen back to Turkey, the Malaysian authorities have put their liberty and well-being at risk. They have already suffered a harrowing ordeal, being arbitrarily detained and held incommunicado. Now, they have been extradited to Turkey, where they could face arbitrary detention, unfair trial and a real risk of torture.”

Turkish deputy PM says Fethullah Gülen is supra-political, conscience of 75 million people in Turkey

In an interview with TRT Türk TV channel on Wednesday, Arınç described Gülen as “supra-politics,” and said he is the “conscience of 75 million people” in Turkey. He praised Gülen for only talking truth and recommending right things, even to the opposition. Bülent Arınç met with Gülen last week in his residence in Pennsylvania in a visit he described as “personal.”

Gulen-inspired school raided by Turkish diplomats, Turkish soldiers in Afghanistan

A group of Turkish diplomats led by Turkish Consul General Şevki Seçkin Alpay together with dozens of Turkish soldiers and Afghan military police officers raided an Afghan-Turk school in Mazar-e Sharif, northern Afghanistan, on Tuesday.

Panicky parents calmed over Feza Schools closure reports

The director assured the public that claims linking the institution to an alleged terror network were grossly untrue and a fabrication made with the intention of spoiling its image. “Our schools have no link with any terror group, we are a local registered charity organisation where every single sent obtained from schools fee is used for the redevelopment of the schools,” he added.

‘First, account for the shirt you are wearing’

Those who make fortunes, use politics as a shield for their unethical acts and commit bribery would not understand Gülen. And is there any logic in hurting or insulting those who have not married or borne children?

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools broke anti-black taboos in South Africa, says SA minister

Indialogue Internship Program 2017 has been a great success

Kenyan president hails Gülen-inspired schools in his country

Gülen urges Turkey to preserve, advance achievements in democratization

Zambia seeks flow of Turkish investments at TUSKON event

Abant Platform: perspectives on Turkey

South Korean NGO: It’s hard to make sense of what is being done to Kimse Yok Mu

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor