Visually impaired journalist sent to prison over Gülen links


Date posted: July 10, 2017

Visually impaired Turkish journalist Cüneyt Arat was sent to prison late on Monday due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

According to several tweets posted by a friend of the disabled journalist, when Arat learned that a prison sentence that was handed down on Feb. 22, approved by an upper court on Sunday, he turned himself in to the police later the same day.

Arat was sentenced on Feb. 22 to 6 years 3 months in prison due to his alleged links to the Gülen movement. He was also given one year, 10 months and 15 days jail time for promoting a “terrorist” organization.

“I was given 6 years, 3 months over movement membership. I was also given 1 year, 10months and 15 days for [Gülen] propaganda. I am acquitted of coup involvement accusations.” Arat said in tweets he posted in February.

In a related case, Arat was also arrested on July 21, 2016, for social media posts that allegedly praise the Gülen movement. The disabled journalist has been under house arrest wearing an electronic ankle bracelet since then.

Source: Turkey Purge , July 10, 2017


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s Condemnation of the New Year’s Eve Terrorist Attack in Istanbul Nightclub

Fethullah Gulen issued a message of condolences and condemnation of the terrorist attack in an Istanbul nightclub on New Year’s Eve. Gulen said, “I pray that God grant mercy and forgiveness to those who lost their lives during a time normally reserved for celebration, hope and renewal.”

Amnesty: 500,000 Kurds displaced in Turkey’s Southeast due to curfews, crackdown

Tens of thousands of residents of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sur are among an estimated half million people forced from their homes as a result of a brutal crackdown by Turkish authorities over the past year which may amount to collective punishment, said Amnesty International in a new report.

Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has asked his followers to be resolute and not yield to despair in the face of a government attempt to shut down private educational institutions [in Turkey] that assist students to prepare for high school and university admission examinations, which was interpreted as a major blow to the right to an education and to free enterprise in the EU-candidate country.

Germany: Turkish Intel’s spy list may be deliberate provocation

Germany’s interior minister said Thursday that Turkey’s intelligence agency may have given its German counterpart a list of suspected supporters of a U.S.-based cleric to “provoke us in some way.”

12-year-old claims asylum with UN as father caught in Erdogan’s anti-Gülen dragnet in Saudi Arabia

The 12-year-old T.K. has claimed asylum with the United Nations (UN) office in Saudi Arabia alone after his/her father was detained by Saudi officials as part of what many say President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s ever-growing witch-hunt against the Gulen movement that has spread to overseas in the recent past.

Ankara-supplied clerics spy on Turkish-Australian communities

Turkish imams preaching in Melbourne and Sydney mosques have been instructed to spy on Australian supporters of Fethulah Gulen, an exiled cleric blamed by President Recep ­Erdogan for the failed July coup bid in Ankara.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Cops vs. robbers [in Turkey]

Unmasking Turkey’s most wanted man

Turkish businesswomen building orphanage in Burundi

Fethullah Gülen speaks at UN

Prof. Leo Lefebure on Fethullah Gulen and Gulen Movement

Former Turkish President Gül denies having any relationship with the Gülen movement or Fethullah Gülen but history tells…

Mali Minister pledges to maintain good relations with Kimse Yok Mu

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor