UK Clears Gulenists Of Turkey’s ‘Coup’ Accusations

Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Cihan)
Turkish Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen. (Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: March 28, 2017

Georgi Gotev

On Saturday the House of Commons Foreign Affairs Committee issued a report on the UK’s relations with Turkey, in which the Erdoğan government’s claim that Gülenists masterminded the 15 July coup attempt is refuted.

The 82-page report confirm previous statements, including by Bruno Kahl, the head of the German intelligence (BND), who recently said that there was no evidence that the Gülen movement was involved in the July plot.

A document by Intcen, the EU intelligence centre, unveiled by The Times last January, also concludes that the Gülenists are not to blame for the coup attempt, and that the perpetrators included a wide range of opponents of Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

The authors of the report, who describe the contacts they were able to have in Turkey, say that the evidence presented so far to argue in favour of the culpability of the Gülenists for the coup attempt has been overwhelmingly anecdotal or circumstantial.

“The attribution of blame solely to the Gülenists is especially important because it has justified and sustained an effort by the government to remove, root and branch, perceived Gülenists from positions of public influence in Turkey,” the report says.

According to the study, the Turkish government describes the Gülenists as a highly-organised terrorist conspiracy that hides behind a charitable face to conceal its true objective: forming a parallel state to infiltrate, undermine, and supplant the current Turkish government.

Turkey’s National Security Council called the Gülenists the “Fethullah Terrorist Organisation” (‘FETÖ’), in May 2016, six weeks before the coup attempt.

Conversely, the Gülenists, who use other terms to call themselves such as “Hizmet” (The Service), describe themselves as a philanthropic social organisation that is inspired by a moderate and democratic interpretation of Islam but that does not discriminate on the basis of faith, and which embraces secularism while focusing on charity, welfare, dialogue, and education.

Seized property worth billions

Gülenists told the authors of the report that “the total value of the land and properties seized [in Turkey] from Hizmet–affiliated schools, universities, hospitals and charities is estimated to have reached $15 billion.

“Given the brutality of the events of 15 July, the severity of the charges made against the Gülenists, and the scale of the purges of perceived Gülenists that has been justified on this basis, there is a relative lack of hard, publicly available evidence to prove that the Gülenists, as an organisation, were responsible for the coup attempt in Turkey,” the report says.

But it adds:

“But the explanations provided to us by the Gülenists did not resolve our uncertainties about the fundamental nature and motives of their movement. The belief that Gülenists were responsible for the coup attempt, as well as for numerous other manipulations of the state through abuse of public positions that they held in Turkey, is manifest across the political spectrum in Turkey. A lack of transparency pervades some of the core activities of the Gülenists, making it impossible for us to confirm that all of these activities are purely philanthropic.”

The report is critical of the work of the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, and personally of the Minister of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs, Sir Alan Duncan, with respect to the matter.

“The FCO seems willing to accept the Turkish government’s account of the coup attempt and the Gülenists broadly at face value,” the parliamentary report says.

Turkey says the West fails to understand the events which transpired on 15 July, and that it has double standards when fighting terrorists.

Source: Euroasia Review , March 28, 2017


Related News

Secretary Tillerson: Evidence against Gulen provided by Turkey inadequate, while voluminous

Mr Gulen denies any role in the failed coup in July, and US officials have privately said the evidence provided by Turkey has been inadequate, while voluminous. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim recently described the delay as a joke on Turkey.

Introducing the Gulen Movement: Prophet’s Path in the Twenty-first Century

Muzaffar K. Awan, M.D. The Prophet’s path being practiced and demonstrated by Hizmet global movement is certainly one of the best ways to minimize and eliminate ignorance through worldwide education, to narrowing the gap between the rich and poor again through education and charitable works. The wealth of the earth will have to be eventually […]

‘Don’t link Thai schools with terrorists’

Thailand’s foreign ministry has cautioned against any rush to link four Thailand-based schools to a terrorist organization just because they have a handful of foreign shareholders. “We have been in touch with the embassy to request legally recognised and reliable evidence. But we have not received any additional information to date,” Thai foreign ministry spokesman Sek Wannamethee, said yesterday.

A little fairness, please!

Please, take a deep breath and take a trip back to a short time ago. What do you remember of the “Justice and Development Party (AK Party)-Gülen movement disagreement”? Here’s a brief reminder, for a better understanding of the discussion: Fethullah Gülen was taken to the hospital in an ambulance because of an emergency. Because I visited him that day, I wrote as follows: “One of the persons who made [the] first phone call was Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Gülen interview received high praise from intellectuals, NGOs, politicians

The in-depth interview with Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who has inspired the popular civic and social movement called Hizmet, and was published this week in a five-part series by both Zaman and Today’s Zaman was received well by people from all walks of life including intellectuals, academics, politicians and human rights activists.

Don’t be fooled by Hizmet conspiracy theories

The March 31 opinion article by London-based attorney Robert Amsterdam (“Why should Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen operate charter schools on US Military bases?”) that appeared on The Hill’s Congress Blog was as flawed in content as it was in character. In his piece, Mr. Amsterdam, a henchman for the Turkish government who has made a […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fears grow Turks held in Malaysia may face unfair trial or torture at home

Investigation into journalist over MGK, MİT revelations blow to free press

The Hizmet movement, social democracy, the religious left

Mueller Probes Flynn’s Role in Alleged Plan to Deliver Gulen to Turkey

Imam Sytari praises Gulen as a global thinker

Book Review — Fethullah Gülen: A Life of Hizmet

The ‘other’ interview

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor