Turkish consulate in Rotterdam seized passports of Gulen-supporters


Date posted: February 17, 2017

Janene Pieters

The Turkish consulate in Rotterdam confiscated the Turkish passports of a number of Dutch-Turkish people believed to be affiliated with the Gulen movement, Trouw reported on Friday. The people involved were told that they are now classified as a fugitive and were given a one-day passport to fly to Turkey and prove their innocence in front of a judge, according to the newspaper.

Four people made contact with asylum lawyers after the consulate took their passports. But the lawyers believe that much larger numbers are involved.

According to the newspaper, the Dutch government knows about a number of cases in which Dutch-Turks’ passports were confiscated. A spokesperson told Trouw that each state has the authority to revoke a citizen’s passport. “The Netherlands has no influence on this”, he said. He could not say how many people had their passports confiscated by the Turkish consulate.


The Turkish consulate in Rotterdam confiscated the Turkish passports of a number of Dutch-Turkish people believed to be affiliated with the Gulen movement. The people involved were told that they are now classified as a fugitive and were given a one-day passport to fly to Turkey and prove their innocence in front of a judge.


Following an attempted military coup in Turkey on July 15th last year, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan started prosecuting everyone suspected of supporting the coup. According to Erdogan, Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen and his followers were behind the coup. Gulen denies all involvement.

In the aftermath of the attempted coup, about 120 thousand soldiers, police officers, judges, prosecutors, journalists, teachers and government officials were fired or suspended. Over 41 thousand people are still in custody awaiting trial. Earlier this week it was revealed that a number of Turkish soldiers, who were working for NATO at the time of the coup, sought asylum in the Netherlands. They feared being arrested if they returned to their home country.

Source: NL Times , February 17, 2017


Related News

Georgia: MEP Rebecca Harms on Asylum for Cabuk

Member of European Parliament Rebecca Harms, on a visit to Georgia to lobby for Mustafa Cabuk’s asylum in Georgia, visited Cabuk in prison. Prior to her visit, GEORGIA TODAY met her for an exclusive interview.

The Erdoğan mafia

Turkey is now run by a mafia. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is at the top of this organization. He has created parallel financial, social, religious and legal structures to maintain this mafia organization.

The Gülen Movement and Turkish Soft Power*

The Gülen approach to education aptly demonstrates the group’s global strategy—Gülen movement schools are open to both Turkish migrants and citizens of host countries, and they avoid advancing a religious agenda. These schools aim to help Turkish migrants succeed in their host societies without losing sight of their Turkish roots, and at the same time they promote social unity by serving the needs of migrants and local students alike. The success of Gülen movement schools stems both from the success of the students (and the satisfaction of the parents) and from the prestige and goodwill they enjoy among local and political authorities for promoting integration and acting as a social mediator.

Turkish PM: State of emergency will continue until Gülen movement completely wiped out

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said in Ankara on Thursday that the state of emergency which was declared following a failed coup attempt in July of last year will continue until the faith-based Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind the coup attempt, is completely wiped out from state institutions.

For first time, Fethullah Gülen curses purge of police officials in emotional speech

Fethullah Gülen has cursed those responsible for a purge of police officials involved in a corruption investigation. Turkish PM Tayyip Erdoğan has called the detention of scores of people seen as close to the government a “dirty operation” aimed at undermining his rule. Erdoğan has refrained from naming Gülen as the hand behind the investigation and he referred to an “illegal gang within the state” and systematically purged officials, including journalists in public broadcasters.

Old reflexes of media against faith will rise again

The author says his book offers documents and detailed data on smear campaigns against religious people, including publications such as “Haliç’te Yaşayan Simonlar” (Simons in the Golden Horn) by Hanefi Avcı, “İmamın Ordusu” (The Imam’s Army) by Ahmet Şık, news portal Odatv and other websites used as tools in such smear campaigns. 11 December 2011, […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Police raid prominent journalists’ foundation GYV in Turkey

Minister says ‘parallel state’ claims not realistic, cites lack of evidence

The Hizmet movement and participatory democracy

MHP asks gov’t how many state officials reassigned after graft scandal

Fethullah Gulen’s Video Message for International Women’s Day

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

Pro-gov’t media continues smear campaign against Hizmet movement

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor