The Erdoğan-Did-It Conspiracy


Date posted: July 29, 2016

Michael Rubin

I asked people who firmly believe that the coup was not what it appeared to explain why they cannot take the notion that what occurred on Friday was a genuine military coup seeking to oust the president. Here is what they said:

  • The military would never start a coup at 10 pm on a Friday. In 1980, the coup began on a Sunday at five in the morning.
  • The military—if it had been a true coup—would have immediately shut down airspace, borders, the internet, and all media outlets.
  • The first move would have been to go after the leaders, not to block bridges in Istanbul when it was known that the president was in Marmaris.
  • The military would have informed allied commands and NATO as soon as the operation was underway.
  • To arrest hundreds if not thousands of officers and judges would have required putting together a list and, again given past precedent, that would have taken at least two days.
  • The notion that the president could get on CNN-Türk through FaceTime without prior coordination, and then have other channels on air soon after would have required pre-arrangement.

Another liberal wrote how:

  • “I just received a SMS calling on all citizens to join forces of the defense of iron will and occupy all streets and squares.” Such mobilizing emails and instructions usually take prior coordination. When Erdoğan had his supposedly spontaneous temper tantrum at Davos several years back, text messages went out in advance to supporters too rally at the airport, the metro hours had been extended in advance for that day only, and thousands of Palestinian flags suddenly materialized at 3 am.

Personally, I’m not sure I believe the conspiracy, a variant of which we sometimes hear with regard to Iran: “Iran couldn’t have been behind the plot to kill the Saudi ambassador in Washington because the Quds Force would never be that inept.” Sometimes, people are simply incompetent, or operations dod not go according to plan.

If there is any truth to the conspiracy, then not only is Erdoğan mad, but U.S. intelligence and Turkey-based diplomats are out of their depth.

Regardless, one thing is clear: the aftermath of this weekend’s events. As another Turk wrote:

This event gives Erdoğan reason to suppress all the opposition including civic leaders, journalists, officers, professors, government employees and all. Already, the government is calling on all the people to protest it in the streets. It is implicitly encouraging the jihadists, including Islamic State sympathizers to go out, raid the homes of secular people, beat them and kill them. Now that an atmosphere of terror has been created, I do not want to predict what will happen next.

And, as my first interlocutor quoted above observed:

It is 3 am now and all his [Erdoğan’s] people are on the streets intimidating the rest of the nation. These people are all men, with beards and strange hair—looking very un-Turkish. [They] have knives in their hands for intimidation purposes. (Yesterday, these people cut the head of a soldier on the Bosphorus bridge in Istanbul). Thus the target is clear: They are taking over the nation with all of its institutions.

Source: Commentary , July 29, 2016


Related News

Erdogan Gov’t aims to abolish global charity Kimse Yok Mu

Ismail Cingoz, the foundation’s chairman spoke on their future initiatives to the daily Bugün. Cingoz said they have been undergoing inspection for the past seven months. He further said as KYM they are ready for any inspection of transparency and credibility.

Erdoğan and AK Party deputies split over hate speech against Hizmet

Apparently, not every Justice and Development Party (AK Party) member and minister is on board with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s hateful and insulting rhetoric against the Hizmet movement and Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and his followers.

The gov’t in Turkey is committing genocide

Fundamental human rights and freedoms have been suspended in Turkey, people’s right to work, freedom of the press, the right to property ownership, the right to a defense in a court of law, the right to travel and the right to a fair trial have all been annulled while the principle of presumption of innocence has been totally disregarded. People have been subjected to collective punishment through the practice of “enemy law.”

European court rules Asya-like seizure of bank unfair

In a decision that could potentially set a precedent for similar cases in Turkey, the Strasbourg-based European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) on Tuesday ruled that the seizure of the country’s Demirbank in 2001 was unfair.

64-year-old bedridden woman in 17th month of her imprisonment on “terror” charges

Fatma Yurt, a 64-year-old Turkish woman who is confined to bed, is in the 17th month of her imprisonment over alleged links to the Gulen group, which the government of accused of masterminding a coup attempt in July 2016.

Pro-gov’t columnist still threatening fellow journalists

A columnist for the pro-government daily Yeni Şafak, Cem Küçük, continues to target journalists critical of the government for regular intimidation in his column.On Jan. 16, Küçük argued that an operation will be staged against newspapers with ties to the Hizmet movement and that the journalists who work in those newspapers would be brought to trial. He also said that the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) would be tried over its press releases.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish family, kidnapped in Pakistan, deported to Turkey Saturday morning

Pakistani Govt deports abducted Turkish teacher and family despite UN protections

Turkish schools broke anti-black taboos in South Africa, says SA minister

Gülen’s lawyer: Views other than state ideology considered a crime in Turkey

The Turkey I no longer know

Autistic children left unattended as teacher parents under arrest over alleged coup links

Serbian torture base now houses Turkish school

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor