Ministry of Education denies authorizing raid on Gülen-inspired schools


Date posted: October 7, 2015

EBUBEKİR KORAN / ADANA

The Ministry of Education denied on Tuesday having authorized a raid on private schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement that was conducted nearly two months ago in an official written statement sent in response to an objection submitted to the ministry by a lawyer representing the school group.

After the raids on Burç Schools institutions in the southern province of Adana in August, the school sent a petition of objection to the Ministry of Education regarding unlawful acts committed by auditors that were present at the inspections. The ministry responded with an official written statement, saying that the August inspections were not authorized by the ministry but by the Adana Provincial Security Directorate, revealing that they are not “routine inspections” as was claimed by the police officers and the auditors at the time.

Speaking to Today’s Zaman on Tuesday, Serkan Ulufer, a lawyer representing Burç Schools said: “They [police officers and inspectors] were saying that raids were ‘routine inspections’ and not authorized by the provincial security directorate but by the governor’s office. However, the statement sent by the Ministry of Education confirms our claims [that the raids were authorized by the police]. We [Burç Schools’ authorities] were claiming that the aim of the [raids] wasn’t to inspect the schools, but to intimidate the people related to them. The statement of the ministry confirms those claims, too.”

An increasing number of schools and institutions sympathetic to the Gülen movement have been targeted by the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) following a major graft investigation implicating President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and other top Justice and Development Party (AK Party) figures that was made public on Dec. 17, 2013. Then-Prime Minister Erdoğan accused the Gülen movement of instigating the operation in efforts to overthrow his government.

In May 2014, Erdoğan publicly advised AK Party supporters not to send their children to schools affiliated with the movement, vowing, “We will not even give water [to the movement’s sympathizers].” He has also said he would carry out a “witch hunt” against anyone with links to the movement. Erdoğan has also ordered officials in AK Party-run municipalities to seize land and buildings belonging to the Gülen movement by any means necessary. The movement strongly rejects the allegations and no indictment has been brought against it.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 06, 2015


Related News

Abant Platform takes on sustainable growth, separation of powers

The separation of powers has been systematically contravened by the government through recent laws eradicating the judiciary’s power and subordinating it to the Justice Ministry.

‘Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons’

Erdoğan has believed that Mr. Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement are the only ones left that could challenge his power and prevent him from becoming president.

Erdogan’s Arch-Enemy Accuses Turkish President Of Staging Coup, Compares Him To Hitler

And as many expected, Erdogan once again accused Gulen of being responsible for the Friday coup, no matter how ridiculous such an allegation sounded. This time Turkey went so far as accusing the US of being “behind the coup” for harboring Gulen. As for Gulen’s position, he had denied as recently as yesterday.

Governor’s office closes 3 Gülen-inspired prep schools in Çorum

Despite a ruling from the Constitutional Court and the Council of State annulling a Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government-sponsored law that required privately owned exam preparation schools in Turkey to be closed down or converted, the Çorum Governor’s Office has ordered the closure of three prep schools as part of the government-led operation against institutions and businesses owned by the faith-based Gülen movement.

Dismissed police officer dies of heart attack in German refugee camp

Ali Ünlü, a 42-year-old former police officer who was earlier dismissed from his job as part of the government’s post-coup crackdown, died of heart attack in a refugee camp in Stuttgart, according to media and people with knowledge of the incident.

60-year old man covers 309 km in 17 days to protest son’s arrest on coup charges

A 60-year-old Turkish man whose son has been kept in İstanbul Silivri Prison for over 10 months on coup charges, has walked a total of 309 km in 17 days as part of a “March of Justice.” Veysel Kılıç’s son was Air Force Academy student and arrested after July 15 coup attempt. Kılıç had been holding vigil since August 2016 in front of İstanbul Çağlayan Courthouse to protest his son’s arrest.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

76 newborns stateless as Turkey denies passports over parents’ Gülen links

A Trip to Turkey: Religious Practice and the Secular State

Stay course in Gulen case

Turkey’s first intercultural dialogue center built on trust, offers quality services

The real wretch

Gülen’s lawyer rejects ‘letter of alliance’ to PKK

Archbishop Tutu receives Gülen peace award

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor