Gülen’s lawyers: PM’s only correct statement is that he visited Gülen


Date posted: May 4, 2015

Lawyers representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen dismissed on Friday remarks made by Prime Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu that Gülen rejected an invitation from Davutoğlu to return to Turkey on the grounds that “it was not time yet.”

“Unfortunately, the only correct statement by Davutoğlu is that he previously visited Gülen. During the visit, Davutoğlu and Mr. Gülen never had a conversation about domestic policy and the only matter of discussion between them was the events in Syria,” said the lawyers, who posted tweets on Gülen’s official Twitter account on May 1.

The Zaman daily’s Editor in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı stated in a live interview on April 28 that Davutoğlu paid a visit to Gülen along with his family members in 2013, saying that he does not understand why Davutoğlu now makes it sound as if visiting Gülen is committing a crime. After Dumanlı’s remarks, Davutoğlu admitted that he paid a visit, saying that he went to warn Gülen to “remain on a legitimate basis” and asked him to return to Turkey.

“I have intelligence reports in my hand. I invited him [Gülen] to return but he refused, saying that it was not time yet. I now understand that he was waiting until December to come back. He was going to return like [Iran’s former Supreme Leader Ruhollah] Khomeini,” Davutoğlu told the press in a clear reference to the graft scandal that erupted on Dec. 17 and 25 of 2013 and which implicated then-Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, some of his close associates and businesspeople affiliated with the government.

However, Erdoğan and the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government blame Hizmet — also known as the Gülen movement, because it is inspired by Gülen– for instigating the far-reaching corruption probes that came to public attention on Dec. 17 and 25.

Gülen’s lawyers stated in their tweets that during his visits, Davutoğlu only talked about how he was deceived by top Syrian officials even though he had paid open visits to Syria more than 50 times. “A conversation in which Gülen rejected Davutoğlu’s invitation to Turkey, saying that it was not time yet, has never taken place. This is not a true statement. After his visit, Davutoğlu said that Gülen was ‘a senior member of the family’ and that is why he visited him,” lawyers said.
Ex-President Gül refutes Davutoğlu’s claims on visit to Gülen

Meanwhile, former President Abdullah Gül was also asked about Davutoğlu’s comments on Friday as the prime minister claimed that he met with Gülen within the knowledge of then-President Gül. Responding to questions by reporters, Gül said the part of Davutoğlu’s comments concerning him is not true. “There is something wrong in the part concerning me. I had learnt about it [the visit] afterwards,” he said.

Source: Today's Zaman , May 01, 2015


Related News

London newspaper forced to shut as Erdogan allies seek vengeance

A Turkish opposition newspaper in Britain has been forced to close and its journalists have gone into hiding as supporters of President Erdogan unleash a campaign of intimidation against exiles.

Is PM looking for someone he can pass the blame to?

Gulen’s words were clearly a conditional curse or a committing of his affair to God in total submission in the face of horrendous lies. “If your accusations are true, may God destroy us. But if your accusations are wrong, then may God destroy you,” he had said. Amen.

Şimşek: Despite slander, Gülen remains silent to avoid provoking gov’t supporters

Osman Şimşek, editor of herkul.org — the website that usually publishes Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s speeches — has said that the Islamic cleric doesn’t respond to slander and insulting remarks so as not to provoke those who support the government.

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter published in Le Monde

Arrested journalist Hidayet Karaca’s letter detailing the threats that the media in Turkey face was published by Le Monde, one of the leading newspapers in France, on Monday.

Who is Behind the Pennsylvania Protests?

Fethullah Gulen had suggested that the protestors should be listened to and not be treated harshly. This was an expression to show that the people’s voice and requests at Gezi should not be rejected.

Bipartisan think-tank: The U.S. should not interfere politically in Gülen extradition case

If the executive branch were to interfere too forcefully in the Gülen extradition case now, it would only confirm Turkish leaders’ belief that the U.S. system operates on the same corrupt terms as Turkey’s. This would fundamentally affirm Erdoğan’s view that democracy as a value and a practice is a purely cynical discourse used by Western powers to harm Turkey.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Hizmet, forming a party and capturing the state!

Gülen Community and Gülen’s Reminder

Turkish Islam and Fethullah Gulen

Abuja hosts 2016 Int’l Festival of Language and Culture

Turkey’s Crackdown on Businesses Sparks Concern

The Preventive Role of Culture in Women’s Empowerment: Possibilities and Challenges

Erdogan Purge Against Gulenists Could Prove Lucrative

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor