Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen (L) poses with his son, STV anchorman Kemal Gülen (Photo: DHA)
Seyfullah Gülen (L) poses with his son, STV anchorman Kemal Gülen (Photo: DHA)


Date posted: November 28, 2014

ORHAN YILDIRIM / ERZURUM

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

Seyfullah Gülen, who was also the father of Samanyolu TV anchor Kemal Gülen, had been in the hospital due to heart and respiratory problems since suffering a heart attack four months ago. He was admitted to the intensive care unit a month ago after he was struck by partial paralysis. He had been on life support but failed to respond to treatment and passed away on Friday.

Known as Sibgatullah by his family, he was a retiree who had formerly worked at Atatürk University. He was married and a father of nine.

Şifa Hospital’s head physician, Dr. Sebahattin Dalga, told Toady’s Zaman that Gülen died at 7:30 a.m. on Friday. Following a funeral at Lala Paşa Mustafa Mosque in Erzurum on Sunday, Gülen will be buried in the village of Korucuk in Erzurum’s Pasinler district, where he was born.

Dr. Fesih Kara, who was Seyfullah Gülen’s consulting physician, said he had been in intensive care for a month. Expressing his condolences to the Gülen family, Kara said he was dependent on machines for his heart and lungs.

Seyfullah Gülen’s younger brother Mesih Gülen said they had spoken with Fethullah Gülen but that they did not expect him to attend his brother’s funeral. Unable to hold back tears, Mesih Gülen told Today’s Zaman that his children had been expecting him to recover.

Another brother of Fethullah Gülen, Hasbi Nida Gülen, died at the age of 66 in October 2012 at a hospital in Ankara, where he was receiving treatment for lung cancer.

The oldest of eight children, Fethullah Gülen has five brothers, the late Seyfullah (Sıbgatullah), Mesih, the late Hasbi (Nida), Salih and Kutbettin. He also has two sisters, Nurhayat and Fazilet.

Source: Today's Zaman , November 28, 2014


Related News

Fethullah Gülen’s Statement on the Shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada

Fethullah Gülen: “I am shocked and deeply saddened by the tragic mass shooting at a music festival in Las Vegas on Sunday night, that resulted in the deaths of more than 50 people and the wounding of more than 500.”

Fethullah Gulen is hopeful about future

Fethullah Gulen has always been hopeful about the future, even under extremely desperate conditions and he has always tried to instill hope into people’s hearts. Below is one of his messages full of hope. Fethullah Gulen’s Message to the “Establishing & Sustaining the Culture of Coexistence and Mutual Understanding” Forum in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia His […]

NY Times Editorial Board: Mr. Erdogan’s Reckless Revenge

At such a time, one would hope for a leader willing and eager to unify his people under the rule of law, to reaffirm democratic values and to address the grievances that motivated the plotters in the first place. So far, Mr. Erdogan seems determined to fail this test of leadership.

New York Times : Hundreds of Police Officers Reassigned in Turkey

Mr. Gulen’s followers vehemently deny claims that his adherents control state institutions. They argue that if his sympathizers are well represented within the police and judiciary, it is because they are well educated and highly qualified for their jobs.

Top judge, paralysed after cancer surgery, under arrest at hospital

A Supreme Court of Appeals member until he was dismissed, Mustafa Erdogan has been kept in a holding cell at a private hospital since Dec. 30, 2016. His daughter Buket Erdogan said the top judge was denied right to “trial without arrest” although he was paralysed after a surgery on his brain.

Turkish ambassador leads an unrealistic mission: bringing a reclusive Muslim cleric before Turkish courts

Although Turkey immediately blamed Gulen for the coup attempt, it took Ankara nearly six weeks to make a formal request for his extradition — and that was based on earlier alleged crimes, not for his supposed role in the coup.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Language Olympics – Iraq Qualifications

Millions of people have asked for interview with Gülen

Gülen’s message on ISIL in UK-based Guardian newspaper

Hizmet movement and perceptions

An iftar dinner by KYM for Thai Muslims

Erdogan’s Lust For Power Is Destroying Turkey’s Democracy

Conference on Hizmet Movement to be held in Taipei

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor