TUSKON to sue dailies over disputed land reports

TUSKON President Rızanur Meral
TUSKON President Rızanur Meral


Date posted: October 30, 2014

Leading Turkish business group, the Turkish Confederation of Businessmen and Industrialists (TUSKON) said on Thursday it will soon file lawsuits against certain government dailies which published allegations of irregularities regarding disputed land in İstanbul.

Following a government decision earlier this week, a tender for a large parcel of land in İstanbul, which was previously won by TUSKON, was reopened despite a prior court decision barring such a move. Although it acquired the land in İstanbul’s Yenibosna district in a tender put out by the Finance Ministry back in 2011, TUSKON said, the same land was offered in a tender to other entrepreneurs on Monday this week. Following the tender, government dailies Sabah, Yeni Şafak and Yeni Akit published reports including false information and slander targeting TUSKON, the confederation said on Thursday, adding that it had commenced legal proceedings against the “smear campaign.”

TUSKON said in a written statement on Thursday that the confederation denies the information published in some of the pro-government dailies.

The confederation acquired the land in 2011 in a tender put out by the Finance Ministry, and agreed to rent it for 49 years at a price of TL 1.6 million per year. However, earlier this year, the Prime Ministry attempted to cancel the ongoing authorization process, which had already been extended on two occasions. A subsequent court decision resulted in a stay of execution which barred the cancellation of the process. However, according to TUSKON’s statement, a new tender was opened for the 36,000-square-meter piece of land on Monday by Emlak Konut GYO — a subsidiary of the Housing Development Administration of Turkey (TOKİ) — in defiance of the court decision. A total of 13 companies participated in the first session of the tender process on Monday.

Source: Today's Zaman , October 30, 2014


Related News

Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

Purge-victim mother of three dies of heart attack

Rana Ozturk, a mother of three children and the wife of Engin Ozturk who has been under arrest for 15 months over alleged ties to the Gulen group, died several days after a heart attack, media reported on Nov 21.

Erdoğan draws ire from all segments of society over bid to close Turkish schools

Members of opposition parties, prominent businessmen and figures in the education world have severely criticized President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan for campaigning for the closure of Turkish schools in African countries that are affiliated with the Gülen movement, also known as the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who is a former ally of the president.

State Department: US concerned by rhetoric from Turkey on Russian envoy killing

John Kirby, spokesman of the US State Department, said “Secretary [Kerry] has raised concerns about some of the rhetoric coming out of Turkey with respect to American involvement or support, tacit or otherwise, for this unspeakable assassination yesterday because of the presence of Mr. Gülen here in the United States.”

Turkey’s permanent state of crisis

However, Erdogan has a problem: Whereas Ataturk came to power as a military general, Erdogan has a democratic mandate to govern. Ataturk’s Turkey was rural and only 10 percent of the country was literate at the time, with most educated people supporting his agenda. Erdogan’s Turkey is 80 percent urban and nearly 100 percent literate, and many well-educated Turks oppose his agenda.

Did Turkey Really Save Democracy On July 15?

The government is yet to renovate that place, preserving the area for foreign delegations as a showcase for the savagery of putschist soldiers. Ankara makes sure that every visiting foreign official is making their pilgrimage to the site, through dust and scattered rocks, so that they see firsthand how the mutineering soldiers attacked the Turkish democracy.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Erdogan Changes Tactics On Attempt To Shut Turkish Schools

Erdoğan receives harsh criticism from civil society over bid to close Turkish schools

Jihad Turk on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Pro-gov’t daily sets up hotline for informing on Gülen followers in EU

Kimse Yok Mu continues to care for needy Pakistanis

Gülen Movement has been used to undermine Ergenekon trial

Deputy denies telling daily Star of Hizmet plot against him

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor