Gülen lawyers file complaint against prosecutors over wrongful probe

Fikret Duran, a lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a complaint about two prosecutors for conducting an illegal investigation.(Photo: Cihan)
Fikret Duran, a lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, has filed a complaint about two prosecutors for conducting an illegal investigation.(Photo: Cihan)


Date posted: July 22, 2014

Lawyers representing Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen have filed a complaint against two İstanbul prosecutors who are conducting an investigation into their client, accusing them of violating procedural rules in the manner the probe is being conducted.

The prosecutors have also lied on many occasions in writing, according to Gülen’s lawyers, who say that the prosecutors who launched an inquiry into Gülen eight months ago have found that the inquiry has not been registered on Turkey’s online judicial system UYAP.

The lawyers have filed a petition against Fuzuli Aydoğlu, a prosecutor at the İstanbul Prosecutor’s Office Organized Crime Bureau, and Deputy Chief Prosecutor Faruk Erşen Yılmaz with the Supreme Board of Judges and Prosecutors (HSYK), for violating procedural conduct.

It also emerged as a result of the lawyers’ petition that an inquiry had been launched into Gülen on Dec. 13, four days before Dec. 17, when a massive corruption investigation into the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) became public. The AK Party has responded to the graft allegations by removing police officers and members of the judiciary from their current positions and reappointing them into less influential positions or expelling them completely where they can. Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan claims that a parallel structure affiliated with the Hİzmet movement, inspired by Pennsylvania-based scholar Gülen, is behind the corruption probe, although he has produced no proof to support this claim. Several businessmen close to the government as well as the sons of three ministers were detained in the investigation on Dec. 17. However, the probe has stalled after the government took the prosecutors conducting it off the case in response to the allegations leveled against it.

In addition to the two prosecutors who violated procedural rules when they launched an investigation into Gülen, the scholar’s lawyers also filed a complaint against Latif Erdoğan and Ahmet Keleş — two individuals who testified as witnesses against their client. The lawyers accuse them of perjury and slander.

The lawyers have also established that a separate investigation — based on false press reports — had been launched into Gülen. There have been earlier reports of a plot against the Hizmet movement, which the government has publicly vowed to “destroy.” The government has since been harassing all institutions it believes are sympathetic to the movement through methods such as shutting down dormitories or removing the signboards of educational institutions.

Fikret Duran, a lawyer for Gülen, said the irregularities in the investigation against his client are evident. In his petition, he demanded that the HSYK give the appropriate punishment to the prosecutors.

Duran said earlier that the Chief Prosecutor’s Office responded to an inquiry by Gülen’s lawyers as to whether or not there are any ongoing investigations about their client. Prosecutor Erşen Yılmaz in writing stated, “No investigation file has been found.” However, pro-government media reported shortly after this incident that an investigation was in fact in place, citing a case number. This time, the lawyers were able to acquire a copy of the documents pertaining to the investigation. They found that the correspondence they had with the prosecutor — including his response saying there were no formal inquiries into Gülen — also existed among these documents. “This indicates that the chief prosecutor has provided us with untruthful information, in spite of the fact that he was in the know about the investigation into our client.” Duran also said that the file had not been recorded in UYAP, another violation indicating a clear attempt to hide the fact that an investigation had been launched.

Source: Today's Zaman , July 21, 2014


Related News

Powerful but reclusive Turkish cleric (BBC Interviews Fethullah Gulen)

Speaking to the BBC’s Newshour, Fethullah Gulen said: “It is not possible for these judges and prosecutors to receive orders from me.” Fethullah Gulen has been called Turkey’s second most powerful man. He is also a recluse, who lives in self-imposed exile in the US.

Does the Gülen (Hizmet) Movement Deny the Armenian Genocide?

We have certainly been scapegoated, and enduring an ongoing collective trauma, with no end in sight. The fact that the Turkish state could label innocent people guilty, and punish them for their association (even tangential) with the Gülen Movement, opened the majority of our eyes. If they could do this to us, it must be true that they did it to other minority groups (Kurds, Alevis) and certainly to the Armenians.

Turks caught up in Gulenists crackdown seek justice

When she returned to her old school to pick up some papers after being suspended, the religious affairs teacher from the Turkish town of Adapazari was braced for some awkward glances. But she was not prepared to be treated as an outcast by colleagues of eight years’ standing. “They wouldn’t even look at me,” says the mother-of-three, dabbing her cheek with a tissue. “It was as if I was a terrorist.”

Ergenekon’s coup-lovers owe an apology to the Hizmet movement

Since the start of the Ergenekon trials, some of the suspects and their supporters constantly, steadfastly and fiercely argued that the Ergenekon cases were based on fabricated evidence prepared by the Hizmet movement, claiming that the defendants were actually innocent. They now owe an apology to the Hizmet movement.

Sacked Turkish professor applies to employment organization

As the government has launched a sweeping campaign to eliminate any employees, be they public servants or academics, that it suspects of having links with Hizmet from state institutions, Özsoy said the purge is not restricted to state universities. It now includes private universities, too.

Astonishing questions about the failed coup attempt in Turkey

Critics claim that this failed coup attempt was simply a pretext to legitimize arbitrary authoritarian practices, eliminate all the dissent while filling the state apparatus with staunch supporters, and start an ethnic cleansing against sympathizers of the Gulen movement and Alawites.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Sacred, Secular, Twin Tolerations and the Hizmet Movement

Long Arm of Erdogan – His campaign should not be allowed to infiltrate the streets of Britain

Gabon is very satisfied with Turkish school

Separation politics and Islam makes Gülen AKP’s enemy

Kimse Yok Mu continues relief efforts in Bosnia

As I researched the Gulen schools in Germany, I experienced beyond what I had expected

Paris attacks, New Turkey and oppressing Hizmet

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor