Columnist fired from pro-gov’t daily after critical comment over Soma


Date posted: May 23, 2014

ISTANBUL

The pro-government Vatan daily has fired a columnist who had submitted a critical column, which faced censorship and was not published, over a disaster that killed 301 miners in the mining town of Soma.

Mutlu Tonbekici, who has been with Vatan for the past 14 years, expressed her dismay in the column over the clumsy handling of the disaster, which set off fierce debates over poor safety conditions in the country’s mines.

The column, titled “TC: Türkiye Cehennemi” (Republic of Turkey: Hell of Turkey), was rejected by the daily’s editorial board for the hard-copy edition, though it did appear on the newspaper’s website. The online version, however, was also removed, under alleged instructions from Erdoğan Demirören, who owns the newspaper and who is known for his affiliation with Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

In a similar development, the Yenişafak daily, another pro-government newspaper fired columnist Süleyman Gündüz for his refusal to toe the newspaper’s line against Hizmet Movement (also known as Gülen movement) led and inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

The pro-government media has launched an enduring smearing campaign against the faith-based Hizmet Movement, which has adopted a critical standing against alleged involvement of some government ministers in corruption scandal that has rocked the country since it broke on Dec. 17.
This sacking was the latest in a series of journalists who were fired under pressure from the government, a worrisome sign for those practicing journalism in an increasingly difficult environment.

Dozens of journalists were fired from newspapers last year both before and after the Gezi Park protests, which marked last summer.

Source: Todays Zaman , May 22, 2014


Related News

Turkish PM heads to Brussels for tough talks with EU

Although the prime minister argues that an ongoing corruption and graft probe engulfing his own ministers is simply a plot hatched by an “illegal gang” that he describes as “parallel state” operated by Fethullah Gülen, a cleric in self-exile in the U.S., EU officials have made clear that such rhetoric has not been bought in Brussels.

Ergenekon opinion lists subversive plans for coup d’état

A lead prosecutor involved in the trial of the Ergenekon terrorist organization listed in his final opinion of the case several plots by the terrorist group to spark chaos in society so as to lay the groundwork for a military coup. One such plan was the Action Plan to Fight Reactionaryism, which detailed a military campaign to destroy the image of the ruling AK Party and the faith-based Gulen movement in the eyes of the public.

Torture appeared widespread after Turkey coup: UN expert

Measures taken in Turkey after the July 15 coup attempt created an “environment conducive to torture”, and ill treatment appears to have been widespread immediately after the failed putsch, UN special rapporteur on torture Nils Melzer said told reporters in Ankara. “Some recently passed legislation and statutory decrees created an environment conducive to torture,” he said.

GYV: PM’s discriminatory rhetoric undermines social peace

Arguments and discriminatory rhetoric used by the prime minister against the Hizmet movement spoil the emotional well-being of our people; undermine social peace and prepare the groundwork for violence by sowing the seeds of hatred in society, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) said in a forceful statement published on its website on Thursday.

The Battle For Turkey’s Soul

It is ironic and tragic that at a time when the world is in dire need of a liberal-moderate Islamic movement in its fight against Wahhabi-Salafi inspired global Islamic terrorism, the Erdogan regime is bent upon destroying the Gulen movement by labelling it as “terrorist”.

Turkish prosecutor demands detention of 21 women, leaving 10 infants unattended

Emrah Özge Yelken, the public prosecutor in Afyon’s Dinar district issued detention warrants for 21 women including mothers of newborn babies as well as elderly citizens, as part of an investigation into the Gülen movement on Friday.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Guests Rub Elbows With Senators, Mayors At 2012 Greenville Dialogue Dinner

Ethiopian President receives Ethio-Turkish schools delegation

Mother of 2 detained while visiting jailed husband during Eid holiday

Kamel Daoud: Open letter to Erdogan – You’re not welcome in Algeria

Turkey Should Protect All Prisoners from Pandemic

MİT to monitor all religious groups as potential parts of parallel state

Erdoğan, Gülen among 10 Turkish figures in Foreign Policy 500 List

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor