FM Davutoğlu orders ambassadors to avoid Turkish Olympiads


Date posted: March 11, 2014

ANKARA

With only a few months remaining before the 12th Turkish Language Olympiads, Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoğlu has sent a message to Turkish ambassadors and diplomats serving abroad ordering them not to attend the overseas selections phase of the Olympiads, according to diplomatic sources.

 

Avoiding sending a written memo, Davutoğlu sent a verbal message to diplomats serving in foreign countries via Foreign Ministry officers, saying, “It would be improper for our ambassadors to attend the Turkish Olympiads.”

“It was relayed to us that Davutoğlu doesn’t find it appropriate for us to attend the Turkish Olympiads. The message came from the ministry,” said two ambassadors, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Foreign Ministry sources who wanted to remain anonymous did not refute the alleged order. Osman Sert, press adviser to Davutoğlu, declined to respond to Today’s Zaman’s questions asking whether the alleged order indeed came from Davutoğlu. He also did not address questions about the stance of the ministry and Davutoğlu on ambassadors attending the overseas selections phase of the Turkish Olympiads.

Orders sent to ambassadors targeting the Hizmet movement and Turkish schools allegedly affiliated with the Hizmet movement first came to public attention when Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan called on Turkish diplomats to “tell the truth” about a corruption investigation which became public on Dec. 17 to their foreign interlocutors.

Speaking during the annual gathering of ambassadors in Ankara on Jan. 15, Prime Minister Erdoğan labeled the corruption investigation involving former government ministers as nothing but a “treacherous plot” to sabotage Turkey’s international standing.

“The process that began on Dec. 17 is a coup attempt disguised as an anti-corruption operation. It is an attempt to sabotage democracy, the nation’s will, the settlement process [of the Kurdish problem] and our foreign policy,” Erdoğan said in addressing the ambassadors. “I especially ask you to underline that this is not an anti-corruption operation but a coup attempt disguised as such,” Erdoğan stated.

Without openly naming it, Erdoğan accused the Hizmet movement led by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and its “foreign collaborators” of attempting to overthrow his government through a “judicial coup” ever since the corruption investigation that shook his government became public on Dec. 17.

Ambassadors who have attended and supported the Turkish Olympiads before told Today’s Zaman they are having difficulties abiding by the extraordinary orders coming from Ankara.

The Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government’s attempts to undermine the activities of schools allegedly affiliated with the Hizmet movement has intensified in recent days. Erdoğan has reportedly been exerting great efforts for the closure of Turkish schools abroad. Sources say Davutoğlu has also joined Erdoğan in his efforts to target the Hizmet movement and Turkish schools overseas.

Okan Müderrisoğlu, a columnist with the pro-government Sabah daily, wrote on Sunday that while on his way back to Turkey from Rome last week, Davutoğlu told him if the schools had not gone beyond their educational purposes, there wouldn’t be any form of discrimination against them.

“We support anyone and any institution that plays an efficient role in promoting Turkey, contributing to Turkey’s prestige. … Some problems occurred during the opening of those schools. These problems were stated by our president [Abdullah Gül] and prime minister [Erdoğan] and they also intervened in the issue [for the opening of schools]. If they [the schools] had remained within their boundaries, there wouldn’t be any discrimination,” he reportedly said.

Source: Todays Zaman , March 11, 2014


Related News

Despite pressure, Pak-Turk schools won’t be shut

Clearing the ambiguities surrounding the closure of Pak-Turk Schools in Pakistan, the principal of the institute’s Raiwand branch has said the educational institutions will not be closed down on the pressure of the Turkish government.

Turkey introduces new decree law to seize all Gulen-related companies

Thanks to a new decree law released as part of the state of emergency declared late on July 20 following a failed coup, Turkey’s government is now set to seize all the Turkish companies owned by businessmen somehow linked to the US-based Islamic Scholar Fethullah Gülen.

Calgarian held in Turkish prison granted a lawyer but confined to solitary

Calgary-based Imam Davud Hanci was arrested on allegations that he was the mastermind behind a failed coup attempt in July to remove Turkish President Recep Erdogan from power — allegations Hanci’s family called “ridiculous.”

Turkish PM Erdoğan lashes out at Gülen as the head of ‘neo-Ergenekon’

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has stepped up his fiery rhetoric against his ally-turned-nemesis, the Gülen movement, criticizing U.S.-based Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen as the leader of “neo-Ergenekon.”

Northern Iraqis cheer as Turkish schools donate meat

Underlining the importance of giving during the Festival of Sacrifice (Eid al-Adha), Turkish Schools in conjunction with the Fezalar Educational Services that operates in Northern Iraq, have distributed meat to 10 thousand families in need.

Kyrgyz court overturns extradition of suspected Gülenists to Turkey

A Kyrgyzstan court on Tuesday overturned a decision by the country’s Prosecutor General’s Office to extradite two people to Turkey to face charges of membership of the banned Gülen movement, The Diplomat reported.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish Cultural Center reaches out to Syracuse community to share its unique culture

Hizmet and countering violent extremism

Turkish minister: Gülen movement is worse than Nazis

PM Erdoğan: Internet bill protesters are defenders of immorality

Moderate Muslims Find Voice and Spotlight in Worldwide Gulen Movement

Kimse Yok Mu to stop beggary in Sakarya, Turkey

Gülen’s lawyer warns about possible doctored tapes

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor