Dumanlı: Accusations directed at Hizmet Movement is a great disappointment


Date posted: January 19, 2014

ISTANBUL

Zaman Editor-in-Chief Ekrem Dumanlı commented on the accusations directed at the Hizmet Movement, inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, naming some labelings to the members of the movement as very disappointing.

Speaking during a TV program on Friday evening, Dumanlı mentioned Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s likening members of the Hizmet Movement to a shady group in the past.

On Tuesday, Erdoğan again accused the Hizmet movement of orchestrating a wide-reaching corruption and bribery investigation which has implicated some members of the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government. The Prime Minister likened the Hizmet movement to the Hashishin, or Hashashim, a religious sect of Shia Muslims originating from Persia, which was received great criticism by many intellectuals including politicians and historians. The group, thought to have been active between the 11th and 13th centuries, reportedly carried out politically motivated assassinations after consuming hashish.

“There is a great disappointment. It is hurtful for government to ascribe people, whom it praised and applaud until yesterday, some unpleasant accusations. We are totally disappointed I do not know if religious and sociological outcomes are taken into account while stirring controversy in the country,” said the writer.

Dumanlı also reminded that the government deems Hizmet Movement as an illegal group but until recently the government has had close relationships with the Hizmet. “Did not you want to meet with Gülen in May? And did not you send Bülent Arınç when the meeting did not take place? Slandering people so much hurts consciences of the people,” said Dumanlı referring to Erdoğan.

Dumanlı also commmented on the “parallel state” allegations against the Hizmet Movement after the far-reaching corruption scandal. “These [allegations] are all a black propaganda. It is very unpleasant to label people without any concrete evidence.

The writer stressed that election ballot is not everything saying that the AK Party put its all effect to the elections. Naming people as the tool of the external powers wıthout any concrete evidence violates rights of millions of people who can claim their right afterlife,” added Dumanlı.

Source: Cihan , January 18, 2014


Related News

Calgary man accused of helping plot Turkish coup

The photo that reportedly shows Hanci with Gulen is not actually Hanci. Hanci works as an imam for Corrections Canada and Alberta Government Correctional Services, according to Malik Muradov, executive director of the Intercultural Dialogue Institute of Calgary, who added that he also volunteers much of his time to the Turkish community.

600 complaints filed alleging slander, libel against Gülen

A total of 600 complaints have been filed against those who have slandered and libeled Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen since a major corruption and bribery investigation became public on Dec. 17 of last year.

D.C.-based law firm gathers intel on U.S. residents for Turkey – WSJ

The Turkish government has employed a Washington D.C.-based law firm to gather information on its critics, including U.S. residents, the Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday.

Another woman faces detention just after giving birth: opposition deputy

Turkish police are waiting at Balıkesir Sevgi Hospital to detain M.A., who just gave birth by cesarean section, over alleged links to Turkey’s Gülen group, an opposition deputy tweeted on Saturday.

Indonesia and Turkey: Similar but Different

On the other side, there is one very important thing that Indonesia must avoid. The Turkish government has been inching ever closer to becoming an Islamist nation, abandoning its secularity that has acted as the foundation of modern Turkey until now. The government’s power is also getting increasingly concentrated in the hands of the Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

27-Years-Old Mother With 11-Months-Old Son Found In Ankara’s Sincan Prison

Yağmur Balcı, a 27-years-old mother, who disappeared together with his 11-months-old son in a Trabzon Prison, has been found in Sincan Prison in Ankara on Monday morning. Turkey’s Republican People’s Party deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu has announced that Yağmur Balcı and his son was transferred to Sincan Women Prison in Ankara without giving any information to her lawyer and her family.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s Crackdown Extends to Taipei

US Congress members reaffirm unbreakable bonds with Turks

Gov’t to destroy 216K math, science textbooks published by Hizmet affiliated publishers

Albania Ignores Erdogan’s Tirade Against Gulen

Gülen lawyers file complaint against prosecutors over wrongful probe

Kimse Yok Mu provides eid meat for needy Thais

Gov’t cancels Kimse Yok Mu’s previously obtained permissions

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor