Gov’t lifts confidentiality of MGK docs for publishing in partisan press


Date posted: December 23, 2013

İSTANBUL

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s government, which accused the Taraf daily of being a “traitor” for publishing secret state documents last month that include a covert plot against Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the profiling of citizens, has lifted the confidentiality of some National Security Council (MGK) documents to be released by its partisan media outlets.

The Taraf daily published several MGK documents dated Aug. 25, 2004 on Nov. 28 and in early December which revealed a secret plot against the Gülen movement and indicated that the Prime Ministry and the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) had categorized, classified, profiled and blacklisted citizens, particularly those who have a connection to religious groups. Later, the Prime Ministry, the MGK and MİT filed a joint complaint against the Taraf daily and journalist Mehmet Baransu, who reported on those documents.

During a speech on Dec. 7, Erdoğan said, “Exposing state secrets is not a freedom but absolutely treasonous to the country and homeland.”

However, Baransu published several documents in his column on Monday which reveal that the government had lifted the confidentiality of other MGK documents to be published in dailies close to the ruling party. According to Baransu’s column, the Prime Ministry Security Affairs General Directorate sent seven MGK documents to Prime Ministry Deputy Secretary Özer Kontoğlu on Dec. 2, asking for the lifting of the confidentiality of those documents.

Kontoğlu presented those documents to Prime Minister Erdoğan, who approved the lifting of the confidentiality of the documents. The confidentiality of nine other MGK documents was also later lifted in the same manner. Pro-government dailies such as Yeni Şafak, Akit, Sabah and Star published those documents starting from Dec. 3. Baransu stated in his report: “Erdoğan saved his partisan media outlets from being ‘traitors’ only one day before the dailies started to publish those documents.”

Stating that he had asked jurists about the removal of the confidentiality of MGK documents by the prime minister, Baransu said in his report: “I spoke to various jurists. The consensus was that the removal of the confidentiality of the MGK documents by Erdoğan is against the procedures to be applied to confidential documents which were adopted by the Cabinet in 1964. According to the procedures, the confidentiality of MGK decisions or Cabinet resolutions based on MGK decisions should first be lifted. The confidentiality of specific documents cannot just be removed with Erdoğan’s approval.”

Addressing Erdoğan, Baransu said: “You stated: ‘Releasing secret documents is a crime. Arrest this traitor [Baransu].’ After you, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç used similar words against me. Respected prime minister, you are lifting the confidentiality of the documents which serve your purposes and allow these documents to be released in your dailies. Is this not a practice of a parallel state? Are you trying to cover up the crime you committed against the public by lifting the confidentiality of some documents as part of a psychological operation?”

Source: Today's Zaman , December 23, 2013


Related News

Defamation campaign against Gülen draws heavy criticism

Many prominent figures in the society have slammed an apparent defamation campaign targeting Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen through the inclusion of his name among the list of most dangerous terrorists, saying that Gülen is a figure who has devoted his entire life to peace building efforts.

Gulen blasts ‘despicable’ 2016 Turkey coup bid, subsequent ‘witch hunt’

US-based Muslim cleric Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed by Turkey for a failed coup attempt a year ago, on Friday again denied any involvement in what he called a “despicable putsch,” and called on Ankara to end its “witch hunt” of his followers.

Bias about Gulen Movement in light of The Economist column

The Kemalist viewpoint in Turkey perceives the Gulen movement as a menace that had served as an instrument of President Tayyip Erdogan’s quest for power. This outlook suggests that if it weren’t for Gulenists’ aid, Erdogan would have faded out a long time ago. Recently, The Economist published an article that exhibits the same bias.

Teacher detained while visiting relatives during Eid holiday

A teacher, identified with his/her initials M.P., was detained while on a visit to his/her relatives in Tatar village, Sivas on the very first day of the Muslim festival, Eid al-Fitr. It is a tradition that Muslims visit their elderly relatives at their homes as part of Eid celebrations in Turkey.

Turkey’s Economy Suffering Enormous Post-Coup Purges

Since the attempted military coup on July 15, the government, empowered by a state of emergency, has fired or suspended about 125,000 people, of whom nearly 40,000 have been arrested, and tens of thousands of others taken into custody. As a result, roughly 800,000 people have been completely cut off from any economic safety net.

TİB conspired to libel Hizmet, tampered with system logs

An anonymous whistleblower from the Telecommunications Directorate (TİB), the agency responsible for carrying out legal wiretaps, sent an email to newspapers and TV stations on Tuesday claiming that there is a conspiracy to bring the Hizmet movement under suspicion of infiltrating the TİB.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen Denies Coup Involvement

Kalashnikov-carrying police raid Gülen-inspired private and prep schools based on ‘reasonable suspicion’

West Hartford State Rep. Receives ‘Statesman of the Year Award’

Fethullah Gulen: Turkish Scholar, Cleric — And Conspirator?

Dozens of Dutch-Turkish businesses ‘threatened’ after failed coup

Romania Refuses to Extradite Journalist to Turkey

This man stood up to Trump. In Turkey he was branded a terrorist

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor