Islamist daily published profiling story in 2010


Date posted: December 9, 2013

The Islamist Akit daily published a story on illegal profiling conducted by the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) that targeted religious groups back in 2010, long before the Taraf daily, which is currently under fire from the government for publishing similar documents, the authenticity of which have been confirmed by the government.

The news story that Akit, then named Anadolu’da Vakit, published on April 29, 2010, reports that while the Fethullah Gülen movement was among the religious groups to be closely monitored by MİT, the terrorist al-Qaeda had been removed from the list completely.

Although today Akit attempts to downplay the importance of similar profiling activity, it had run the story with the headline “MİT report astonishes.” Neither the Office of the Prime Minister nor MİT denied the existence of such a document.

According to the list of profiling victims published by Akit in 2010, the MİT Department of Destructive Religious Activities classified religious groups in Turkey according to the perceived level of threat they posed. The Süleymancıs (followers of Islamic scholar Süleyman Tunahan), Nakşibendis (members of a Sufi order), the Humanitarian Aid Foundation (İHH), the followers of Islamic Scholar Said Nursi and the Fethullah Gülen movement are all in the category of the highest level of threat. The National View (Milli Görüş), from which today’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party) sprang, and the Association of Human Rights and Solidarity for Oppressed Peoples (MAZLUM-DER) are included in the second-level category.

Although the Gülen movement was not included on the watch list in 2009, it was added to the list the following year, while the terrorist al-Qaeda group that committed lethal bombing attacks in 2003 was removed from the list in 2010.

Similarly, the Süleymancıs and Nakşibendis were also upgraded on the threat list from the second level to the top level in the space of one year.

Source: Today's Zaman , December 9, 2013


Related News

What Erdogan and Khomeini Have in Common

The Turkish secular elite who have long feared an Iranian-style theocracy in their own country may finally be seeing the worst of their fears come true. The widespread purges under President Recep Tayyip Erdogan following last month’s failed coup attempt against his government suggest the Turkish state is moving toward authoritarian Islamist rule of the sort that Iran introduced in 1979.

GYV Declaration: The AKP and Hizmet on democracy

The Hizmet movement’s Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) released a statement on its website on Thursday in which it said it is worried about the profiling of citizens, civic groups and public employees. It demanded that all the legislation that is reminiscent of the old, anti-democratic Turkey must be revised to ensure their full compliance with fundamental rights and freedoms.

Don’t be fooled by Hizmet conspiracy theories

The March 31 opinion article by London-based attorney Robert Amsterdam (“Why should Turkish cleric Fethullah Gülen operate charter schools on US Military bases?”) that appeared on The Hill’s Congress Blog was as flawed in content as it was in character. In his piece, Mr. Amsterdam, a henchman for the Turkish government who has made a […]

Accused Turkish Cleric Assails President on Anniversary of Coup Attempt in WSJ Interview

Fethullah Gulen repeated his declaration that he has never been involved in any coup-plotting. “I never thought that he could go so bad,” said Mr. Gulen, who said that the Turkish president was unleashing mass hysteria inside the country. “Some parts of Turkish society have lost their ability to think.”

Normalization of Abduction, Torture, and Death in Erdogan’s Turkey

Abductions, forceful disappearances, tortures, and political target killings have always been among the burning human rights violations in Turkey; however, they skyrocketed during Erdogan’s rule and especially after the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

40-day-old baby, mother under police custody for 4 days: opposition deputy

A Turkish woman who gave birth to her baby 40 days ago, has been kept under police custody along with her newborn over the past four days, according to main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Sezgin Tanrıkulu.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

International students celebrate Prophet Muhammad in Gaziantep

Turkish PM calls on Islamic scholar Gülen to return to Turkey

As Turks flee oppression, Ottawa urged to speak out on human rights issues

3,623 Aggravated Life Sentences Sought In Turkey For Scholar Fethullah Gülen

Government cuts off funds for disabled child over father’s Gülen links

The Global Imam

Students visiting Turkey bid one another a teary farewell

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor