Turkish daily Taraf accused of ‘spying’ and ‘terror acts’ for publishing state document

A document from a 2004 National Security Council meeting about a state action plan against the activities of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement was released by the daily Taraf on Nov. 28. CİHAN photo
A document from a 2004 National Security Council meeting about a state action plan against the activities of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement was released by the daily Taraf on Nov. 28. CİHAN photo


Date posted: December 6, 2013

Daily Taraf, which published a document from a 2004 National Security Council (MGK) meeting about a state action plan against the activities of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen’s movement, has been charged with “spying” and “terrorism,” in an investigation launched by the Istanbul Public Prosecutor.

“Obtaining documents regarding state security,” “political or military spying,” “exposing documents regarding the state’s security or political good,” and “revealing forbidden information,” are counted as the crimes that Taraf is accused of committing.

The document, released by the newspaper on Nov. 28, heated up the row between the government and the Gülen movement. Some government officials subsequently confirmed the document’s existence, but denied that any action had been taken after its signing.

Government officials accepted the authenticity of the document, which was signed by Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and other Cabinet members, but Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said the action plan was never actually implemented.

The Anatolia Public Prosecutor Press Crimes Bureau launched an initial investigation into Taraf’s report, but with a decision over lack of jurisdiction the file was sent today to the Istanbul Public Prosecutor, which is in charge of terror crimes.

In addition, the Prime Ministry, the National Intelligence Organization (MİT) and the National Security Council (MGK) on Dec. 4 filed criminal complaints against Taraf and its journalist Mehmet Baransu over the exposure of the 2004 MGK decisions.

Today’s edition of Taraf includes an editorial penned by its editor-in-chief, Neşe Düzel, stating “You cannot silence us.”

Source: Hurriyet Daily News , December 6, 2013


Related News

Pro-gov’t media continues smear campaign against Hizmet movement

In order to defame the Hizmet movement, A Haber — a member of the government-designed “pool media,” created through funds raised by various businessmen to protect the government’s interests — has described a Felicity Party (SP) election campaign conducted by women in the province of Hatay as “black propaganda” against the Justice and Development Party (AK Party).

Police detain student over fingerprints on Gülen books

According to a report, the police were informed that books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen were thrown in the garbage by unidentified people in the Belediyeevleri neighborhood of the Canik district of Samsun province. After the investigation, fingerprints on the books were matched to those of A.E.A, a 22-year-old university student.

Turkish family detained in Qatar as Erdogan steps up crackdown on Gulenists abroad

Qatari police detained five members of a Turkish family who are linked to the faith-based Gülen movement while the family was on their way to South Africa, the yenihamle.com news website reported on Monday.

Bank Asya shares surge after Turkish election results

The AK Party’s failure to secure enough votes to form the government reflects on the stock market, with the politically-seized Bank Asya’s shares observing a 10.75 percent increase at opening on Monday amidst an overall drop in Borsa Istanbul.

Media Imposes Official Ideology, Creating Negative non-Muslim Image

Intellectuals and journalists who gathered at a workshop for a debate on how the media treats non-Muslims in society have said that the media has had a crucial role in imposing official ideology on society. “It is not that all negative perceptions in the media regarding non-Muslims have been determined by media bosses or chief […]

Gulen`s Interview with the German Newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung

Gulen`s Interview with the German Newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung. Interview with German Newspaper Süddeutsche Zeitung ‘Charge of the Preacher’, dated 13th December 2014

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Mali Minister of Education visits ‘Kimse Yok Mu’

How did we step into the missionary threat trap?

Turkish authorities unlawfully arrest pregnant woman on alleged Gülen links

Peace Islands Institute Honors Remarkable Individuals

Fethullah Gülen’s message of condolence for veteran journalist Mehmet Ali Birand

Hizmet and Turkey’s relations with Nigeria

Kimse Yok Mu trains flood victim Pakistani women for a job

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor