Deputy PM says image of gov’t-Hizmet fight ugly

Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç
Turkish Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç


Date posted: August 28, 2013

Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç on Monday said the image of a fight between his Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and Hizmet movement is very ugly, adding that the government has never wanted to reach such a point.
Speaking on a program on Habertürk TV, he said: “If there are problems, we can discuss them within the criteria set by Mr. [Fethullah] Gülen.”

Currently, there is a lot of discussion on social media and among some media circles about an alleged and growing tension between the Hizmet movement, inspired by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, and the government.

Earlier this month, the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) responded to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations made about the Hizmet movement that the foundation said are designed to pit the government against the movement and create tension between the two.

The GYV listed a total of 11 widespread allegations against the movement and gave responses to each of them.

When asked about the GYV’s statement, Arınç said it is not right to discuss such issues on TV or via the press.

“Whenever there is a need to talk, we, our prime minister, ministers could welcome individuals representing the movement in our houses or offices and talk to one another. There have been such meetings recently. For me, the movement is very valuable and they do valuable service. It is not a political institution, but they do important service for the nation’s future in a wide array of fields from education to healthcare. They boost Turkey’s prestige in the international area,” he said.

Gülen is highly respected both in Turkey and in many countries around the world for educational activities he has pioneered, along with his efforts to promote intercultural and interfaith activities around the globe. He is in self-imposed exile in the US, though there is no legal hurdle that prevents him from returning to Turkey.

When asked about claims that individuals close to the Hizmet movement are eliminated from public offices by the government, Arınç said such claims are unacceptable.

Source: Today's Zaman , August 27, 2013


Related News

8,480 Turkish nationals sought asylum in Germany in 2017

The number of Turkish citizens who sought asylum in Germany in 2017 totals 8,480, according to Deutsche Welle.

Class-B shareholders join objection against Asya decision

The lawyer representing B-type shareholders of recently seized private lender Bank Asya has filed a case against the takeover decision, demanding an injunction along with compensation for losses at the stock market.

President Gul says debates over prep schools should not lead to ‘resentment’

Turkish President Abdullah Gül has said ongoing debates over a recent controversy over the government’s move to shut down prep schools should not lead to “resentment.” The government’s plan to ban private tutoring institutions that train students for high school and university entrance exams has divided society and led to fear among some segments of the public that socioeconomic differences may further affect students’ academic achievement after the closure.

Cagaptay: Turkey moves far beyond Europe

Recently, visiting Istanbul, I attended a conference on the Arab Spring organized by Abant Platform, a local NGO that gathers Turkish intellectuals of different stripes for policy debates. The conference – this time with attendees from Washington, Tel Aviv, London, St. Petersburg and Arab capitals in addition to Turks – debated Turkey’s leadership role in […]

Samanyolu permission to shoot Ramadan program in mosque

Requests submitted by the Samanyolu Group seeking permission for two of its stations to shoot programs in the gardens of two mosques in the Üsküdar district of Istanbul during the holy month of Ramadan have been turned down by the İstanbul Mufti’s Office.

Coup and Countercoup in Turkey

The coup was doomed to fail from the beginning. To say it was amateurish would be insulting to all amateurs. Assuming there were some sympathizers of Gülen within the armed forces, the sheer size of the post-coup dismissals make absolutely no sense.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

State Department: US concerned by rhetoric from Turkey on Russian envoy killing

Parents seek TL 40,000 in damages for violation of students’ educational rights

Turkey’s crackdown threatens German stability, Gulen followers fear

‘Nigeria Moving Towards Peaceful, Happy Future’

Ramadan meal iftar helps Muslims break religious, cultural barriers with guests

Bridge-building in ‘enemy country’ – Story of a Turkish asylum seeker in Greece

Turkey-Japan Media Forum kicks off in İstanbul

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor