Five new mosque-cemevi projects on the way

A group of Alevis performing the ritual “semah” dance at a gathering in a cemevi, the traditional place of worship for Turkey’s Alevis. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mustafa Kirazlı)
A group of Alevis performing the ritual “semah” dance at a gathering in a cemevi, the traditional place of worship for Turkey’s Alevis. (Photo: Today's Zaman, Mustafa Kirazlı)


Date posted: September 11, 2013

There are plans to launch joint mosque-cemevi (Alevi house of worship) projects in five other Turkish provinces in addition to the recently launched project in the Turkish capital city of Ankara, the Radikal daily reported on Tuesday.
According to the daily, the locations of the new mosque-cemevi projects will be the Kartal district in İstanbul, the Çiğli district in İzmir, Çorum, Adana and Gaziantep.

The groundbreaking ceremony of the first ever joint mosque-cemevi culture center was held in Ankara on Sunday with the participation of a number of government figures as well as Alevi and Sunni community leaders and members of the public.

The project aims to strengthen the ties between the Alevi and Sunni communities in Turkey in the face of efforts to ignite sectarian tension in the Middle East.

The project in Ankara, which was suggested by Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, is being financed by businessmen both from the Alevi and Sunni communities and is being conducted by the CEM Foundation and the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture, Education, Health and Research Foundation.

The project has drawn criticisms from some marginal Alevi and Sunni circles and a group of nearly 500 people protested against the project, clashing with the police and throwing stones at them during the groundbreaking ceremony in Ankara on Sunday.

President of Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture Education Health and Research Foundation Kemal Kaya, in remarks to Radikal, has called on opponents of the project to establish dialogue with them.

“Whoever has a question regarding this project, they should come and ask us. We are ready for dialogue and to eliminate question marks,” he said.

There are 10 administrators at the Hacı Bektaş Veli Culture Education Health and Research Foundation, two of whom are Sunnis. Kaya, an Alevi, said he is having difficulty in understanding the criticisms coming from Alevi circles. He said the project in Ankara is a positive step toward the recognition of cemevis as places of worship by the state.

Regarding critics’ claims that the project aims to assimilate Alevis, Kaya said: “This is not a state-sponsored project. This is an effort by two private institutions to win hearts. This is not the first time that such a project has been implemented. This model exists in Hacı Bektaş [a town in Nevşehir]. We don’t say there should be a cemevi next to every mosque. They should exist where they are necessary.”

Seyit Derviş Tur, an Alevi opinion leader, also hailed the mosque-cemevi project, saying that it will strengthen brotherhood between Alevis and Sunnis.

“Those taking to the streets in protest of the project are former politicians. Most of them are at the head of our foundations and federations today. They do not want Alevis to be at peace with governments,” he said.

Aydos Foundations Federation President Nurikan Akdemir said he supports the mosque-cemevi project, which he said promotes respect for other’s beliefs.

“There were some prejudices among Sunnis about Alevis. This project will help them get rid of these prejudices,” he said.

On the other hand, Şah Kulu Sultan Dervish Lodge Executive Board member Hüseyin Taştekin said it would have been better if the joint mosque-cemevi project had been announced either by the prime minister or the president. He said the project would have served societal peace more that way.

He said the demand of Alevis is recognition of cemevis by the state and the state not interfering in places of worship in line with the principle of secularism.

Source: Today's Zaman , September 10, 2013


Related News

Media freedom in Turkey takes another blow

On Dec. 25, Mahir Zeynalov sent out two tweets. “The first tweet contained a link to a news report about the second wave of a massive graft operation and how police blocked a raid involving more than 40 suspects, including Saudi businessman Yasin al-Qadi — listed as a specially designated terrorist by the United States,” Today’s Zaman reported Jan. 31. Zeynalov’s tweets are no longer present on his Twitter account. “’Turkish prosecutors order police to arrest al-Qaeda affiliates, Erdogan’s appointed police chiefs refuse to comply,’ read the first tweet. In the second tweet, Zeynalov shared a news report detailing al-Qaeda suspects’ escape from the country after police chiefs blocked the raid on Dec. 25.”

Turkey sees unprecedented pressure on media since Dec. 14 operation

Monday marks the first anniversary of a government-backed operation against prominent media groups in the country that resulted in the detention of dozens of individuals, mostly high ranked media personnel, and ever since that day pressure on critical journalists and news outlets has skyrocketed in the country, leading to the take-over and even closure of many media outlets and the incarceration of many journalists.

“It was so cold, it felt like an arrow through my heart”

Τhis situation (Persecutions by the Turkish government) made us leave our homeland. Why would people throw their children in to the fire, throw their children into the water? I want people to think of the reason behind, why all this is happening.

UN asks Turkey to compensate businessman arrested in post-coup crackdown

The United Nations’ Working Group on Arbitrary Detention (WGAD) has called on Turkish government to compensate a businessman who spent some 3 months in prison over his alleged links to the Gulen movement.

Medialog calls for law against hate speech and crime [in Turkey]

In a two-day conference on hate speech and hate crime organized by Medialog (a platform under Journalist and Writers Foundation) in İstanbul, leading journalists and academics urged the government to draft a law against defamation, blasphemy and discrimination while protecting the freedom of expression.

Turkish schools and businessmen mobilized for Izmir’s EXPO candidacy

The Turkish schools around the globe have been making great effort for Izmir’s EXPO 2020 win. The schools and businessmen have taken action so that Bureau of International Expositions committee opts for Turkey in the voting to take place in Paris on November 27th. “What is lost with Olympics can be made up for in EXPO,” Fethullah Gulen had earlier said.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen Issues Strong Condemnation of ISIS

Separation politics and Islam makes Gülen AKP’s enemy

Gulen Followers Living in Europe Receive Death Threats, Feel Intimidated

Erdoğan’s harsh, xenophobic rhetoric damages fight against Islamophobia

Fethullah Gülen extends condolences over death of Turkish literary giant

Leaked document sheds light on Turkey’s controlled ‘coup’

Approval rate of Turkish schools abroad at 78 percent

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor