Ayse Bohurler says International Herald Tribune misquoted remarks on Gülen movement

Ayşe Böhürler
Ayşe Böhürler


Date posted: April 22, 2012

22 April 2012 / TODAYSZAMAN.COM

Ayşe Böhürler, a founding member of the ruling Justice and Development Party (AK Party), has said her remarks on the faith-based Gülen movement were misquoted in an International Herald Tribune article last week, denying statements that were highly critical of the movement and attributed to her by the paper. “It would be impossible for me to say such things,” Böhürler told the Cihan news agency. “I will also send a disclaimer to the newspaper.”

An article published on April 18 and titled “Shadow force grows in Turkey” by Şebnem Arsu and Dan Bilefsky in the International Herald Tribune claimed that the movement inspired by well-respected Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has a hidden agenda.

“The movement’s stealthy expansion of power as well as its tactics and lack of transparency are now raising accusations that Gülen supporters are using their influence in Turkey’s courts, police and intelligence service to engage in witch hunts against opponents with the aim of creating a more conservative Islamic Turkey,” the report claimed.

The report also claimed that Böhürler “bemoaned that the lack of transparency and clear organizational structure that make it impossible to hold the group accountable.” “There is no reference point, they are kicking in the shadows. …They are everywhere and nowhere,” she was quoted by the paper as saying.

Böhürler said Arsu, who was translating her remarks, did not take any notes during the interview and made a translation “in her own way.” “The spots used in the article are irrelevant to what I said. I made very objective comments to prevent any misunderstanding during the interview. What I said was the movement may create a more transparent and correct perception if it is organized as a single NGO rather than multiple ones. But the remarks published in the report do not belong to me. They are based on perceptual selectivity of the translator as the interview was not recorded,” she said.

Gülen’s lawyer earlier dismissed the allegations which appeared in the article. Orhan Erdemli said in a statement on Friday that claims in the article, which accused Gülen supporters of infiltrating the police and judiciary, are unfounded and baseless.

Source: Today’s Zaman http://www.todayszaman.com/news-278204-founding-ak-party-member-says-iht-misquoted-remarks-on-gulen-movement.html


Related News

British law firm hired by AK Party gov’t launches defamation campaign against Gülen movement

A British law firm hired by the Turkish government has launched a defamation campaign in Washington against the Gülen movement, using the Turkish government’s narrative, part of the ruling Justice and Development Party’s (AK Party) unceasing witch hunt against the faith-based movement in Turkey and abroad.

Slandering Turkish schools is treason according to well-known politician

In an interview with the Cihan news agency, Durak showed reaction to Erdoğan’s order to the ambassadors and he visited some of the Turkish schools in foreign countries. “Children of prime ministers and presidents and high-level bureaucrats are sent to these schools opened in Africa and many parts of the world… Many significant people are given education in these schools. I am of the opinion denouncing these schools to the ambassadors instead of supporting them is equal to treason,” said Durak.

So you say Fethullah Gülen is a terrorist?

The Interior Ministry has prepared a list of “terrorists,” showing well-respected Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen among the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) members.

Today’s Zaman Editor-in-Chief Bülent Keneş released pending trial

The İstanbul 8th Penal Court of Peace ruled on Wednesday to release Today’s Zaman Editor-in-Chief Bülent Keneş pending trial after deliberating on a petition by the lawyers of Keneş, who was arrested on Saturday and detained at Silivri Prison.

Bad news for Erdoğan’s lawyers in the US

Several weeks ago, a lawyer based in England and Canada, Mr. Robert Amsterdam, announced in the US that he had been hired by the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government to sue Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement.

Businessmen voice frustration over smear campaign against Hizmet

The Akşehir Industrialists and Businessmen’s Association (AKSİAD) has condemned an ongoing defamation campaign being conducted against the Hizmet movement inspired by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, calling on government officials to refrain from the hate speech and polarizing rhetoric that are damaging the society.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Afghan-Turk Teachers Call Their Extradition Illegal

Dr. Reuven Firestone Interviewed by Muslim Turkish Movement “Hizmet”

The Einstein of the Islamic world

Nigerian federal gov’t on arrested students: Turkey on a vendetta mission

Why is Erdoğan hostile to Turkish schools?

GYV warns on provocative remarks, urges respect for peaceful protests

Reuters interview Gulen, he says he would not flee U.S. to avoid extradition to Turkey

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor