Sacked policeman’s grim death sparks debate on COVID-19 data in Turkish prisons

Pictures from Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu’s prison cell in the northern province of Gümüşhane showed his dead body on a plastic chair in filthy surroundings, prompting deputies to question prison conditions.
Pictures from Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu’s prison cell in the northern province of Gümüşhane showed his dead body on a plastic chair in filthy surroundings, prompting deputies to question prison conditions.


Date posted: October 26, 2020

The pictures showing the grim death of Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu, a police officer sacked with an emergency decree in 2016, have sparked debate on the conditions in Turkish prisons amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. Media reports said that the police officer, who had been in jail for four years, repeatedly asked for treatment for his deteriorating health, but his transfer to a hospital was denied.

The pictures showing the grim death of a police officer sacked with an emergency decree have sparked debate on the conditions in Turkish prisons amid the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Pictures from Mustafa Kabakçıoğlu’s prison cell in the northern province of Gümüşhane showed his dead body on a plastic chair in filthy surroundings, prompting deputies to question prison conditions.

Media reports said that the police officer, who had been in jail for four years, repeatedly asked for treatment for his deteriorating health, but his transfer to a hospital was denied.

Mustafa Kabakcioglu

Kabakçıoğlu, who suffered from asthma and diabetes, was put in a quarantine cell on Aug. 20 on suspicion of COVID-19 after he started coughing and stayed in the cell alone for nine days until authorities discovered his dead body on Aug. 29.

Mustafa Kabakcioglu

The police officer was arrested on July 26, 2016 and was dismissed from his post as part of a state of emergency decree issued on Sept. 1, 2016.

Turkey declared a months-long state of emergency following the July 15, 2016 failed coup attempt that’s widely believed to have been masterminded by U.S.-based Islamic preacher Fethullah Gülen. *

Thousands were dismissed from their posts as part of the decrees issued during the emergency rule, which critics say was used by the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) to silence dissent.

The government says that those dismissed are linked to the Gülen movement.

Those sacked with state of emergency decrees are trying to be reinstated to their jobs amid Turkey’s slow functioning judicial system.

Main opposition Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy Gülizar Biçer Karaca has asked the Justice Ministry to reveal the data on COVID-19 in prisons and whether negligence lead to Kabakçıoğlu’s death.

Mustafa Kabakcioglu

“Why is the Justice Ministry silent on what is happening in prisons during the pandemic and why doesn’t it share data since July?” Karaca said in her parliamentary question on Oct. 15.

“Kabakçıoğlu’s death shows that the pandemic conditions in prisons are not in line with human dignity,” she added.

She also asked the ministry to explain the picture that shows Kabakçıoğlu’s dead body on a chair.

“Why was he found sitting on a chair?” Karaca asked.

Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) deputy Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu addressed Justice Minister Abdülhamit Gül on Twitter.

“His death is filled with negligence, have you heard?” asked Gergerlioğlu.

Following criticism, Gümüşhane Public Prosecutor’s Office released a statement on Kabakçıoğlu’s death on Oct. 14, saying that the deceased officer didn’t want to go to a hospital.

It also said that an investigation was launched into the publishing of pictures from inside prison.

The Justice Ministry on Oct. 15 said that two inspectors were assigned to look into whether there was any negligence in Kabakçıoğlu’s death.

* Fethullah Gulen strongly denies this grave accusation and calls the United Nations to form an international commission to investigate Turkey’s controversial coup attempt.


Related News

Turkish purges leave armed forces weak, dismissed officer warns

NATO’s supreme allied commander in Europe, General Curtis Scaparrotti, said in December that he never had any reason to suspect that Turkish officers in his teams would be involved in a coup attempt. In their absence, and without their expertise, the capacity of his staff had been “degraded,” he told the Financial Times and Deutsche Welle.

1-year-old baby with cancer held in Mardin prison with mother: former HDP deputy

Avşin Usanmaz, a one-year-old baby with brain cancer, has been held in a prison in Mardin province with his imprisoned mother.

Gülen worries fake news could associate new terror attacks, assassinations in Turkey with him

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen said on Tuesday that fabricated stories in the pro-government media about new terror attacks and political assassinations in Turkey could be associated with followers of the faith-based Gülen movement.

Turkey – Baby with Down syndrome suffers major health problems in absence of jailed parents

A 15-month-old baby with Down syndrome, Ayşe Sena Bunlu, has been suffering from serious health problems ever since her parents, both of whom are police officers, were purged from their posts and jailed in the aftermath of a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, according to a story in the Tr724 news portal on Friday.

‘I feel like I have been buried alive’: families live in fear and isolation as Erdoğan leads a witch-hunt

The crackdown on possible coup plotters has since been turned into an all-out witch-hunt not only against alleged Gülen sympathisers but also leftists, Kurds and anyone critical of the government.

Gülen says paying price for not supporting Erdoğan’s desire for presidential system

“Mr Erdoğan put pressure on me and Hizmet sympathizers to publicly support his idea of a presidential system. He increased the pressure by supporting government-funded alternatives to Hizmet institutions and then began threatening to close them down,” Gülen stated in a written interview with Nahal Toosi, which was published on Friday. According to Gülen, Hizmet sympathizers are paying a heavy price for their independence.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

TV station won’t cover AK Party events due to harassment of reporter

Iftar at Afghan-Turkish Schools

Minister Yazici Visits Kazakh-Turkish High School

“Here today, the Honorable Gulen’s vision is coming true”, says Malian Minister

Gov’t criticized for forcing scientific researcher to alter report

Samanyolu high school ranks first in Infomatrix Asia and Pacific Olympics

Nepalese surprised at Turkish teachers staying to help after earthquake

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor