Informant on Gülen movement members says he fabricated testimony to avoid jail time


Date posted: January 10, 2019

İbrahim Demirtaş, a major in the Turkish military who testified as an informant in investigations into sympathizers of the faith-based Gülen movement, has admitted that his statements were false and made in order to avoid prosecution and jail time.

The Kronos news site reported the story on Thursday, saying that after testifying as an informant during his detention in the wake of a failed coup attempt in July 2016, Demirtaş disappeared only to send a statement to the prosecutor’s offices in Ankara and Erzurum confessing that he had fabricated allegations against people who were the subjects of a crackdown against the Gülen movement.

The government holds the Gülen movement responsible for the failed coup, although the movement denies any involvement. Tens of thousands of real and perceived supporters of the movement are being prosecuted for the most elementary links to the movement on coup charges.

Following the confession, a criminal case against the major and his wife Fatma Demirtaş was launched in Erzurum for alleged membership in a terrorist organization demanding up to 15 years in prison.

The couple had previously been detained and released only after Maj. Demirtaş agreed to become an informant. In his fabricated testimony, Demirtaş said that as a member of the military, he kept in touch with the “imams” of the Gülen movement and provided them information about the unit in which he was serving. The government had been claiming even before the abortive putsch that the movement was acting as a “parallel structure” within the state by infiltrating state institutions.

The major’s code name as an informant was “Albatros,” and he provided information on people’s links to the Gülen movement.

Source: Turkish Minute , January 10, 2019


Related News

How the fallout from Turkey’s coup attempt has been felt in South Africa

In the late evening of Friday, July 15, word spread across the world that a coup was under way in Turkey. The president was missing, the military announced it had taken control of the country, and a few hours later, in the early hours Saturday morning, the coup was over.

In Erdogan regime western-oriented intellectuals, bureaucrats, liberals, Kurds, civil society activists in mortal danger

Those in prison—educated, Western-oriented intellectuals and bureaucrats, liberals, Kurds, civil society activists, and supporters of exiled cleric Fethullah Gülen—are in mortal danger. When blood flows from the prisons, it will be no accident nor should anyone believe Erdogan’s security forces were simply reacting to a crisis.

Turks mobilize to join solidarity campaign for Bank Asya

The government-led assault to sink Turkey’s largest Islamic lender, Bank Asya, due to its affiliations with the Hizmet movement, has stirred a public movement, with thousands of people rushing to deposit money with the bank to aid its struggle for survival.

Businessmen released following operation against Gülen movement

Based on the government’s much criticized “reasonable suspicion” law, a large number of businessmen in Uşak province were detained last week as part of an investigation into the so-called “parallel structure,” although most of them were released late on Friday night due to a lack of evidence to support a possible prosecution.

Cops vs. robbers [in Turkey]

The high-profile officials — whose involvement in bribery and corruption have been disclosed with much media coverage — and those who protect and abet them do not care about how they will be remembered by future generations. They do not feel ashamed about the positions they adopt, and they shamelessly proceed to give the impression of siding with “robbers” in the cops vs. robbers confrontation.

AFSV Statement on Media and Business Crackdown

The Alliance for Shared Values denounces the politically-motivated raids on Koza Ipek holding group, publisher of opposition Bugun daily, as well as the arrest of two British journalists and their translator. These disgraceful actions by President Erdogan and his oligarchy are aimed at silencing independent media in preparation for upcoming November elections, and at deflecting criticism resulting from massive government corruption, nepotism and failure to accept election defeat.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Yamanlar College student wins gold medal in int’l computer project competition

Deputy denies telling daily Star of Hizmet plot against him

When I met a Gandhian ‘Jihadi’ in America

Local Muslims share Ramadan meal with each other and the community

A Catholic Priest’s Letter to Fethullah Gülen

“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

CHP leader says Erdoğan’s UN speech only served to promote Gülen movement

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor