Refugee mother overjoyed after reuniting with daughters


Date posted: September 29, 2018

NICHOLAS KEUNG, Immigration Reporter

Refugee Duygu Baris was faced with an agonizing decision over the fate of her children, but in the end it was a choice she didn’t have to make.

The 42-year-old Toronto ophthalmologist was reunited with her two daughters this week after a months-long separation involving multiple countries. Baris had wrestled over whether she should turn the two girls over to authorities in Germany where they had been living temporarily or send them back to Turkey, where their father is in jail for a 2016 coup attempt.

But two weeks after the Star reported Baris’ dilemma, the girls arrived in Toronto with temporary residence permits issued by Canadian officials. They will eventually be given permanent residence status, but it’s just a matter of time.

Baris was granted asylum in Canada last September and has since been waiting for permanent residence status along with permits for the daughters she was forced to leave behind in Istanbul. Despite a travel ban, the girls managed to flee to Germany this summer, but they were required to leave by Sept. 25, or be turned over to German authorities.

“I was going to take Zeynep and Hatice into hiding,” said Baris, who flew to Germany with a special refugee travel document on Monday with the plan to take the girls to Senegal, where her friends could shelter them. But she was pleasantly surprised on arrival in Berlin that they had got their visas already.

“I am so grateful to the Star and to the Canadian government for reuniting us in Canada, so we can be together in a safe place,” she said.

According to Baris’ asylum claim in Canada, both she and her husband, an internal medicine doctor, are longtime followers of the teachings of the outlawed Fethullah Gulen or Hizmet Movement, which the Turkish government has blamed for the failed 2016 coup. The couple worked at a Hizmet-affiliated hospital and their children attended Hizmet schools.

Baris claimed that after the attempted coup, her husband was arrested and charged with participating in a terrorist group. He was sentenced to seven-and-a-half years in jail.

With only enough money to pay smugglers to take one person out of Turkey, she said she wasn’t about to let her daughters take the risk. Although the girls could seek asylum in Germany, they would have been placed in state care and Baris feared they could potentially be separated from their mother forever.

“There are many Turkish refugees in Canada in the same situation and separated from their families. I hope Canadian officials can use their discretion and do the same thing for them to be together,” said Baris. “I’m still missing my husband. My daughters are missing their father. Hopefully, he can join us soon.”

 

Source: The Star , September 28, 2018


Related News

Brazil’s top court denies extradition of [Gulen-linked] Erdogan opponent

Brazil’s chief prosecutor’s office argued before the court against the extradition of Sipahi, who has lived in Brazil for 12 years, saying it had no evidence of terrorist acts committed by Hizmet.

Esposito urges Muslims to integrate better to defeat Islamophobia

A world-renowned scholar who has written numerous books on Islamophobia has urged Muslims living in the West to integrate into mainstream society, which he says is the most effective way to defeat the Islamophobia that is taking hold in the West, particularly in Europe.

119 people in Turkey died due to crackdown on Gülen movement in 2019 (430 people died since 2016)

At least 119 people lost their lives in Turkey due to an ongoing government-led crackdown on the Gülen movement. Many people including children have drowned in the waters of the Aegean Sea or the Maritsa River while trying to flee the crackdown.

What Is Next In Turkey?

The generals were never the script writers of the coups but only players. The script writers of the coup on July 15 in Turkey aimed to simulate a coup as if it was staged by the Gulen movement. It was simply a false flag. While only a few hundred soldiers were involved in the coup, more than ten thousand officers were purged and arrested. While the police officers challenged the coup plotters, twelve thousand police officers were fired two months after the coup.

NJ Legislature recognized Turkish-American organizations for accomplishments, contributions

HizmetNews.COM, January 21, 2013 On Dec 3rd and 20th, New Jersey General Assembly and Senate in Trenton recognized Turkish-American organizations for their tireless efforts trying to make a difference in the state of NJ. Peace Islands Institute, Turkish Cultural Center, Turkish American Business Development and Improvement and the Pioneer Academy of Science were honored by […]

Fears grow Turks held in Malaysia may face unfair trial or torture at home

Two Turkish men have been arrested in Malaysia, raising fears they might by forcibly returned to Turkey, where a rights group warned they could face unfair trial and torture.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Today is another Human Rights Day, but atrocities persist | Opinion

Thousands congregate in New York to share iftar joy

Turkish Cultural Night in Philippines

Erdoğan’s allegations proven to be incorrect, contradictory over time

Hate towards Hizmet Movement as a political strategy

Hizmet movement and Kurdish question in Turkey

Gülen says he could be blamed for assassination of an MHP, CHP politician

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor