Gulen’s Outreach for Alevis

Hüseyin Gülerce
Hüseyin Gülerce


Date posted: January 1, 2011

Zaman newspaper’s journalist Huseyin Gulerce’s words ‘ The government has been putting the Alevis off for seven years. This is a shame’  received support from the Alevis.

Huseyin Gulerce, one of the leading figures of the Fethullah Gulen community (Gulen or Hizmet movement) and a journalist for the Zaman newspaper said that the AK Party has been putting the Alevis off for seven years.

While Gulerce’s words raised the question whether this might be an outreach of Fethullah Gulen community for the Alevis, Gulerce received support from the Alevis. Gülerce made the following assessment for the website t24.com.tr:

‘If somebody wishes to go to a “cem house” (a place of worship for Alevis) to worship, we do not have any right to say no and ask them to go to a mosque instead. There is no such democracy. If a citizen demands a cem house, it is the goverment’s responsibility to meet the request. I criticize the AK party in this respect mostly. They have been putting the Alevis off for seven years. This is a shame. About nine years ago Fethullah Gulen said: ‘ Our Alevi citizens are in desperate need of transferring their oral culture to written culture. The cem houses should serve as centers of attraction for the Alevi youth where they would like to go.’ Actually we need to get rid of a selfish comprehension of democracy and understanding of Islam that work only for us. We make nice statements but don’t wish democracy for others. It is not sincere to say “yes to democracy which works me”.

‘Serious steps taken’

Great support came also from the Alevi groups:

Fevzi Gumus, President, Pir Sultan Abdal Culture Association:

If these opinions belong to Fethullah Gulen and his community, then I am positive about them. So far we have witnessed that the Islamists were not very tolerant and liberal regarding the Alevis. If they are sincere about their assessments, this demonstrates a significant progress on the matter.

Ercan Gecmez, Chairman, Haji Bektashi Veli Anatolian Culture Foundations:

Whoever possesses conscience, and anyone who sees and hears will know what the Alevis are asking for. The government is in a strategy of install.

Hubyar Alevi Cultural Center President Ali Kenanoğlu:

No results came out of the workshops. Even this situation has strengthened the Alevi’s sense of being distracted by the government.

Source: Original news in Turkish, published by Radikal Newspaper on Oct. 15, 2010

 


Related News

Izzettin Dogan: ‘Turkish Olympiads achieved what UN couldn’t

Cem Foundation President Prof. Izzettin Dogan said, in his statements, that the Turkish Olympiads project initiated by volunteer NGOs is of great significance for global peace. “It’s not an easy task to lead children of diverse colors and cultures towards a common goal. Even UN couldn’t achieve that” Dogan said. The Turkish Olympiad students in […]

Countering Violent Extremism Symposium draws significant participation

Jointly organized by Intercultural Dialog Platform and Gulen Chair at Ku Leuven in Brussels, Belgium, Countering Violent Extremism: Mujahada and Muslims’ Responsibility Symposium was attended by some 400 including academics, opinion leaders and NGO representatives.

Understanding of Muslims in US is limited, says scholar

“Part of what we are doing involves interfaith work,” says Turk, and he brings up the role of the Pacifica Institute in California that does similar work in accordance with the teachings of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. “The same values are taught by Gülen,” Turk says, and adds that students from the Gülen-inspired Hizmet movement attend Bayan Claremont as well. “We are educating the next generation of Islamic scholars and community leaders,” Turk says.

Erdoğan’s ‘enemies’ find sanctuary in Greece

“Until May 9th, the police in my home country [Turkey] tortured me,” he said. “On May 10th, the Greek police brought my children breakfast.”

Peshawar High Court halts government order to deport Pak-Turk school staff

Petitioner counsel Qazi Muhammad Anwar argued that all the Turkish teachers are very peaceful people who have committed no crime in Turkey as well as here in Pakistan.” He prayed the bench to suspend the federal government’s notice and stop deportation of the Turkish teachers and their families. The bench accepted the request and restrained the deportation of Pak-Turk schools’ staff.

Woman looking after disabled children alone as prosecutor husband under arrest for 270 days

Hacer Çakmak is only one of the hundreds of thousands of people who found themselves facing tremendous difficulties after the government started a desperate crackdown on the Gülen movement in the aftermath of a July 15 coup attempt.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Ankara assassination: Why Erdogan blames the Gulenists and ignores the jihadists

The AKP, Gülen and Feb. 28 coup

Fethullah Gülen: Turkey is being dragged into a civil war

Terrorists not true Muslims, says scholar

Afghan-Turkish schools win six medals at int’l olympiad

Turks Should Question The Official Narrative That Gulen Was Behind The Coup

Zaman Stanizai on Fethullah Gulen and Hizmet Movement

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor