Bosnian court denies Turkish extradition request for alleged Gülen follower

Graduates of Turkish schools in Bosnia are now working as teachers at the schools they attended as students.
Graduates of Turkish schools in Bosnia are now working as teachers at the schools they attended as students.


Date posted: April 24, 2018

A Bosnian court has dismissed a request for extradition to Turkey of a Turkish national, one among several wanted for alleged links to the Gülen movement, which Ankara blames for a failed coup in Turkey in 2016, Reuters reported.

The court’s final ruling comes at a time of increased pressure by Turkey on its allies to deport people believed to be linked to schools financed by Fethullah Gülen, whose movement Ankara has declared a terrorist organization.

Last month, six Turkish nationals arrested in Kosovo over links to Gülen’s schools were secretly extradited to Turkey, prompting Kosovo Prime Minister Ramush Haradinaj to dismiss the interior minister and the state security chief.

Ankara accuses Gülen, a US-based Muslim cleric, of orchestrating the July 15, 2016 coup attempt. He denies any connection with the putsch.

The Appeals Chamber of Bosnia’s state court last month ruled against the extradition of Hümeyra Gökçen on the grounds that she had requested asylum in Bosnia before Turkey had asked for her extradition. The ruling was not made public.

In the decision obtained by Reuters, the court also said that allegations that Gökçen was a member of a terrorist organization could not be sustained because the F..O organization has not been verified as such by resolutions of the United Nations or the Council of Europe.

F..O is a pejorative term coined by the Turkish government to refer to the Gülen movement.

The court did not provide more details on the case nor did it comment on whether there were other such requests for deportation.

But a source close to the matter confirmed to Reuters on Monday that Turkey has requested the extradition of several more people who arrived in Bosnia after the coup attempt over links to the schools believed to be financed by the Gülen movement.

Even though Bosnia has taken no concrete steps against these schools, some Turkish teachers have left the country under political pressure since the failed coup.

Last month, during his visit to Sarajevo, Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said that more action should be taken against Gülen’s followers there, “especially in the sectors of education and business.”

At its peak, the Gülen movement operated schools in 160 countries, from Afghanistan to the United States. Since the coup attempt, Turkey has pressured allies to shut down Gülen-run establishments.

President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government pursued a crackdown on the Gülen movement following corruption operations in December 2013 in which the inner circle of the government and then-Prime Minister Erdoğan were implicated.

Erdoğan also accuses the Gülen movement of masterminding a failed coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016.

Despite the movement strongly denying involvement in the failed coup, Erdoğan launched a witch-hunt targeting the movement following the putsch.

Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu on April 18 said the total number of people who were arrested over their alleged ties to the Gülen movement between July 15, 2016 and April 11, 2018 is 77,081.

Soylu said on Dec. 12 that 234,419 passports have been revoked as part of investigations into the movement since the failed coup.

On Nov. 16 Soylu had said eight holdings and 1,020 companies were seized as part of operations against the movement.

The number of people who have been investigated for alleged ties to the faith-based Gülen movement reached 402,000 in March, the state-run Anadolu news agency reported on March 15.

Source: Turkish Minute , April 24, 2018


Related News

Somalia agrees Turkey’s anti-Gülen crackdown, Kenya, Germany and Indonesia resist

In Kenya, where Gulen’s Omeriye Foundation has grown from its first school in 1998 in the vast Nairobi slum of Kibera to a nationwide network of academies, the government has resisted pressure to close them down. Turkish officials have requested Kenya to shut down the Gulenist schools on a number of occasions before the attempted coup.

It is a great loss that Turkish Olympiads were not held in Turkey

The efforts of Justice and Development Party (AK Party) municipalities and districts to ensure that the Turkish Olympiads were not held in Turkey this year led to some strong reaction. Former Foreign Minister Yaşar Yakış, also one of the founders of the AK Party, expressed his sorrow about the obstacles that were deliberately manufactured to hinder the organization of the event.

Coup d’état attempt: Turkey’s Reichstag fire?

On the evening of July 15, 2016, a friend called around 10:30pm and said that both bridges connecting the Asian and European sides of Istanbul were closed by military barricades. Moreover, military jets were flying over Ankara skies. As someone living on the European side of Istanbul and commuting to the Asian side to my university on a daily basis and spending many hours in traffic in order to do that, I immediately knew that the closure of both bridges was a sign of something very extraordinary taking place.

European Muslims Want Participation, Not Integration: Role of the Gulen Movement

A conference hosted by the Catholic Academy in Stuttgart together with two associations of the Gülen movement (aka Hizmet movement) in Baden-Württemberg, “Süddialog” and “Begegnungen”, focused on Christian and Islamic initiatives in cooperative public welfare efforts. The story gives clues about Gulen movement’s role in Muslim’s integration and participation in Germany. While German politicians continue […]

Report exposes death from torture of Turkish teacher in police custody

A new report from the Stockholm Center for Freedom (SCF) titled “Tortured to Death” exposes the case of 42-year-old history teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu. The report details every day he was kept in custody, where he was repeatedly beaten. The government documents, medical reports, independent opinions and witness statements obtained by SCF show his death was not due to natural causes.

German ambassador: Berlin does not recognize Gülen movement as ‘terrorist’ group

German Ambassador to Turkey Martin Erdmann has said his country’s judiciary does not recognize the Gülen movement as a terrorist organization and that Turkey should present credible evidence of criminal activity to Germany for the extradition of Gülen-linked individuals.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Medialog Platform hosts digital media experts from Europe and Asia

Libyan minister would like to see Turkish teachers, schools in his country

Sultan of Zing: Erdogan’s power trip makes African pit stop

‘Gulen Movement is a civil society movement, rather than a religious one’

Hizmet movement charity reaches out to 75 countries during Feast of Sacrifice

Nubuwwat symposium starts with rejection of suicide bombing, terrorism

TUSKON’s Meral tells Turkish firms in Germany to open to world

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor