Erdogan advisor likens Turkey purge to Aborigine, Native American, Armenian cases


Date posted: January 20, 2018

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s chief advisor, Mehmet Uçum, has said the Turkish state can apologize to the victims of a post-coup era purge and witch-hunt targeting the faith-based Gülen movement years after the events take place, as Australia did for the Aborigines, the US did for the Native Americans and Turkey did for the Armenians.

Uçum’s remarks came during a recent program on CNN Türk.

The remarks created a debate on social media, with many people evaluating it as an admission of genocide against people linked to the Gülen movement in Turkey.

Upon a question of whether the Turkish government should apologize to people who were purged following a failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016, Uçum said: “Apology is a political attitude. The conditions for apology must come into existence. Don’t forget that both untimely and belated [apologies] are useless. This state, which has been struggling to strengthen itself and create a democratic mind, will do it [apologize] after reaching a certain phase in the struggle and a certain phase in the reform process for establishing law and order, and after it sees that all necessary conditions have come into existence.”

“Saying ‘Let’s do it [apologize] today’ is indeed a call for weakness in terms of the risky areas where the state has been struggling. We have to be careful. Of course it happens in democratic state systems. How many years later did Australia apologize to the Aborigines? After how many years did the US apologize to the Native Americans? How many years did it take Turkey to express condolences to the Armenians?” he said.

The Gülen movement is accused by the Turkish government of mounting a coup attempt on July 15, 2016, although the movement strongly denies any involvement.

Turkey has suspended or dismissed more than 150,000 judges, teachers, police and civil servants since July 15 through government decrees issued as part of an ongoing state of emergency.

A total of 62,895 people were detained in 2017 as part of a witch-hunt targeting the Gülen movement.

Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Dec. 12 that 55,665 people have been jailed and 234,419 passports have been revoked as part of investigations into the movement since the failed coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Minister Soylu on Nov. 16 had said eight holdings and 1,020 companies seized as part of operations against the movement.

The Justice Ministry announced on July 13 that 169,013 people have been the subject of legal proceedings on coup charges since the failed coup.

According to Ministry of Justice data, there are currently 384 prisons with a capacity of 207,279 in Turkey; however, the total number of inmates was 228,983 as of October 2017.

The Ministry of Justice plans to build 228 new prisons with a capacity of 137,687 in the next five years.

Human Rights Watch on Jan. 18 said in its World Report 2018 that Turkey had increased restrictions on the media, the political opposition and human rights defenders during 2017.

HRW also underlined that prosecutions of individuals charged with being members of the Gülen movement often lacked compelling evidence of criminal activity.

 

Source: Turkish Minute , January 20, 2018


Related News

70-year-old intending Hajj pilgrim detained on coup charges at airport

A 70-year-old prospective Hajj pilgrim was detained on coup charges at İstanbul’s Atatürk on Thursday night. Kıymet G., who is being held by police, was taken into custody while she was waiting to get on a Turkish Airlines flight for the Muslim holy city of Mecca in Saudi Arabia.

NPR’s Interview with Gulen – He Denies Involvement In Coup Attempt

From his exile compound in the Poconos, the cleric accused by the Turkish government of leading a failed coup attempt last year, Fethullah Gulen, denies any involvement.

Kyrgyz court overturns extradition of suspected Gülenists to Turkey

A Kyrgyzstan court on Tuesday overturned a decision by the country’s Prosecutor General’s Office to extradite two people to Turkey to face charges of membership of the banned Gülen movement, The Diplomat reported.

Today’s Zaman: six years of intense coverage

Yavuz Baydar Everybody should be thankful that Turkey proceeds the way it does. It has never disappointed us by keeping dull moments away from us and offering instead a constant stream of surprises. Often, a single day has meant a full year — 24 hours equaled to 365 days, in terms of events and developments. […]

PM made the wrong choice

Erdoğan put under the spotlight US Ambassador to Turkey Francis Ricciardone by stating: “Recently, very strangely, ambassadors have gotten involved in some provocative acts. I am calling on them from here to do your job. If you leave your area of duty, this could extend into our government’s area of jurisdiction. We do not have to keep you in our country.” These caustic sentences prove that the AK Party has decided to declare a war not only against the Hizmet movement but also to provoke tensions with the US. Since they have opted for a defensive attack strategy, this reaction does not surprise anyone.

One year after attempted coup, purges have left hundreds of Turkish academics imprisoned

After the attempted coup, college professors have been hit especially hard, thanks to Gülen’s popularity inside Turkish higher education. Turks were encouraged to report Gülen’s followers to the government. Universities have been ordered to establish 7-8 member committees looking into anti-government activities of the faculty and administration.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkey Regulator Demands Bank Asya Information Before Sukuks (1)

UN to Turkey: Free and Compensate Gulen-linked Detainees

Too Good to Be True

Pak-Turk schools replace Turkish principals with Pakistanis

History of politically motivated assault on Bank Asya

Hizmet and self-criticism

Kimse Yok Mu gives away Eid al-Adha meat in Mali

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor