Fethullah Gülen Reiterates No Involvement In Turkey’s Controversial Coup Attempt


Date posted: July 12, 2017

US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has denied once more Turkish authorities’ accusations of masterminding a controversial coup bid in Turkey last year, in interviews with the Reuters and the US’s National Public Radio (NPR), saying he has always stood against all coups.

Speaking separately with NPR and Reuters in exclusive interviews, Gülen underlined that he is ready to return to Turkey if any concrete evidence is presented of his involvement in the bloody coup attempt that claimed lives of 249 people.

During the interview with Reuters on Tuesday, Gülen also said he is ready to leave the US for Turkey if Washington finds it appropriate to extradite him, as the Turkish government has requested. “If the United States sees it appropriate to extradite me, I would leave [for Turkey],” he said.

US officials have said privately that even though Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan has appealed directly to US President Donald Trump on the matter, Turkey has yet to provide enough evidence for the US Justice Department to act, the Reuters report said.

Speaking to NPR’s Robert Siegel in an interview on Tuesday, Gülen said he has always stood against coups and added: “My respect for the military aside, I have always been against interventions. … If any one among those soldiers had called me and told me of their plan, I would tell them, ‘You are committing murder’.”

Accusing Erdoğan of being responsible for the suffering and oppression of innocent people in Turkey and abroad, Gülen said: “If they ask me what my final wish is, I would say the person who caused all this suffering and oppressed thousands of innocents, I want to spit in his face.”

When asked if he was referring to Erdoğan, he replied: “It can’t be anyone else. He is the oppressor.”

Turkey survived a failed coup on July 15, 2016 in which 249 people died.

Turkey’s ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and President Erdoğan immediately put the blame on the Gülen movement and speeded up a witch-hunt against sympathizers of the movement, which was also accused by the government of launching a graft probe at the end of 2013 that implicated figures from the AKP and people close to Erdoğan.

Despite Gülen, whose views inspired the Gülen (a.k.a. Hizmet) movement, and the movement having denied the accusations, Erdoğan and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

According to a tally by TurkeyPurge.com, 138,148 people, including some 10,000 soldiers, had been dismissed from their jobs, 115,827 were detained and 55,425 jailed over alleged links to the movement as of July 10.

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , July 12, 2017


Related News

Turkey’s Global Anti-Gülen Crusade Puts Tbilisi in Diplomatic Bind

Mustafa Emre Çabuk is out of prison but not out of trouble. The Turkish national, who for the past 15 years ran a Gülen school in the Georgian capital, Tblisi, is the latest international educator caught up in Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s anti-Gülenist campaign.

Turks Fleeing Persecution Find Haven in South Africa

Gulenist businessman Nevi Gozur says he has been denounced as a terrorist for the charity work his family does with Hizmet in exile. “They say even my wife is a terrorist, for giving food to the poor, but we won’t renounce living according to our values,” he said.

Turkish authorities purge regulators, state TV employees in backlash against graft probe

Turkey has extended a purge of official organizations to the banking and telecommunications regulators and state television, firing dozens of executives in moves that appear to broaden Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan’s push back against a corruption investigation.

The anomaly of war

The anomaly of war, French essayist Emile Auguste Chartier wrote, is that the best men get themselves killed while crafty men find their chances to govern in a manner contrary to justice. How much of that applies to modern Turkey remains unknown – though predictable.

NPR interviews Stephen Kinzer on graft probe and Fethullah Gulen

A corruption scandal has forced Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan to reshuffle his cabinet, but he is rejecting calls for his resignation. Three of his ministers have resigned because of the scandal. The situation today is being called the biggest threat yet to Erdogan’s 11 years in office. Stephen Kinzer, visiting fellow at the Watson Institute at Brown University, joins Here & Now’s Robin Young to discuss the unfolding situation in Turkey.

Teacher tortured to death by Turkish police found innocent, reinstated to job

Teacher Gökhan Açıkkollu, who was tortured to death while in police custody in the wake of a coup attempt in Turkey on July 15, 2016 over alleged membership in the faith-based Gülen movement, was found innocent one-and-a-half years later and “reinstated” to his job.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Germany Declines Turkish Request to Freeze Gulen Assets

Pictures of friendship drawn on hearts: Philippines

The US Should Not Extradite Fethullah Gülen, To A Paranoid Turkish Government

Gulen’s “Messenger of God: Muhammad” sold out at Buenos Aires book fair

Kurdish Issue Discussed in New York

Return to Turkey or lose citizenship, gov’t tells Gülen followers

Outgoing chairman proudly admits Istanbul Bar Association refused to serve Gülen followers

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor