London-Based Turkish Academic To Run 10,000 Meters To Raise Fund For Purge Victims In Turkey


Date posted: June 29, 2017

İsmail Sezgin, a London-based Turkish academic has tweeted on Tuesday that he will run a total of 10,000 meters in support of the families hit by an ongoing purge by the Turkish government since a controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016. Releasing a statement on moneygiving.com, Sezgin said that he aims at raising a fund of 10 thousand pounds to help purge-victim families in Turkey.

Stating that Turkish people are living through a very difficult period Sezgin said that “A vicious coup attempt has victimized thousands of people so far; 249 people died on the night, many children became orphans; Thousands of civil servants have been purged. Teachers, judges, doctors, engineers and police officiers are the main victims. Their families are in dire situations; More than 50 thousand people are arrested, most have not been to court yet but their families are struggling to survive outside without any income. We are aiming to raise ten thousand pounds to help remedy some of the tragedies in Turkey. Please donate generously.”

Turkey survived a controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016 that killed over 240 people. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government along with Turkey’s autocratic President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, strongly denied having any role in the failed coup and called for an international investigation into it, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting participants of the Gülen movement in jails.

At least 161,751 people were detained or investigated and 50,334 people were arrested in Turkey in the framework of the Turkish government’s massive post-coup witch hunt campaign targeting alleged members of the Gülen movement since the controversial coup attempt on July 15, 2016, according to statistics reported by state-run Anadolu news agency by basing on information taken from the officials from Turkey’s Justice Minsitry on June 13.

Source: Stockholm Center for Freedom , June 28, 2017


Related News

They want my backing for the enrollment in Turkish schools

FIBA Holding chairman of the board Hüsnü Özyeğin says Turkish Olympiads are more important than international Olympiads, and that foreigners want his backing for enrolling their children in Turkish schools. A group of students currently in Istanbul for the 11th Turkish Olympiads, which was arranged by International Turkish Language Association (TÜRKÇEDER), visited FIBA Holding chairman […]

‘A bridge should not demolish other bridges,’ says scholar Gülen

Gülen said today via his website that naming the bridge “Yavuz Sultan Selim,” after an Ottoman Sultan historically known for slaughtering Alevis, should not demolish “others bridges.”

Jurist’s report highlighting illegality of Karaca’s arrest submitted to top court

Lawyers representing journalist Hidayet Karaca, who remains in prison despite a ruling for his release, have submitted a report drafted by a prominent jurist to the Constitutional Court in which the unlawfulness of Karaca’s arrest was highlighted.

Zaman daily launches news portal in Kurdish language

The Zaman daily has broken new ground by launching a news portal that will present reports in the Kurdish language.

A rift between the Hizmet movement and the AK Party?

BÜLENT KENEŞ June 14, 2012 For some time, Turkey has been obsessively talking about an alleged contention between the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) and the Hizmet movement (aka Gulen Movement). This matter is being discussed in dozens of newspaper columns and TV programs every day. The Hizmet movement’s demands are about principles. These […]

Pro-Erdogan columnist calls California ice-cream seller, “Dogs of Jews, terrorists!”

Vakkas Doğantekin, a pro-government columnist and the president of the California-based Turkish community organization, TURCA, has attacked a Turkish speaking ice-cream seller by calling him “terrorist” and “dogs of jews.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Conference on “Hunger in the world and searching for ways to solve it”

Mother detained over Gülen links while twins left in intensive care

Troubled Nigeria discusses Gülen’s ‘culture of coexistence’

Irrationality rules

‘I admire Fethullah Gulen’s vision of a world that’s different from the one we have’

Turkey coup attempt: Number of people detained passes 26,000 amid international concern over crackdown

Istanbul police display hundreds of books among evidence of ‘terror’

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor