Wife of veteran who lost hand, eyes in bomb attack under custody over Gülen links


Date posted: June 19, 2017

Özlem Konakçı, the wife of former bomb disposal expert Bilal Konakçı, was detained over her alleged links to the Gülen movement, which the government accuses of masterminding the July 15 2016 coup attempt, on June 9.

Bilal was retired from his position at İzmir Police Department after he lost his right hand and both eyes while trying to dispose of a bomb in 2009.

Speaking to Yeniçağ columnist Ahmet Takan, Bilal said police and gendarmerie forces raided their homes at 8 in the morning on June 9 and detained Özlem after a search at the home.

When asked about the reason, police said they had received a complaint from two people that Özlem is linked to the movement, Bilal added.

Former bomb expert also also spent 35 days behind bars over similar accusations before being released on judicial control on Jan 25, 2017.

“When I asked him how he meets his needs, Bilal Konakci’s answer was heartbreaking: ‘I have two daughters; one of them is 12 and the other one is 2 years old. We depend on support from neighbors and what the elder daughter could afford. Also, my 70-year-old father and mother, who has one of his arms injured support us’,” Takan reported a recent phone call with Bilal.

Source: Turkey Purge , June 18, 2017


Related News

Police officer reassigned for attending dershane picnic

The Interior Ministry has reassigned police officer H.D., who worked at the National Police Department’s Anti-terrorism Unit in Ankara, on the grounds that he and his child attended a picnic organized by a dershane (private preparatory school) affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement.

NPR’s Interview with Gulen – He Denies Involvement In Coup Attempt

From his exile compound in the Poconos, the cleric accused by the Turkish government of leading a failed coup attempt last year, Fethullah Gulen, denies any involvement.

Exiled Turkish Leader Gulen Slams Erdogan for Coup Attempt in Report

A coup attempt in Turkey last July that killed more than 300 people was an “outrageous, heinous scenario constructed by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan and his accomplices,” Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gulen said this week.

Answers to slanderous accusations about Hizmet movement

The Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) has responded to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations made about the Hizmet movement which the foundation said are designed to pit the government against the movement and create tension between the two. Releasing a statement on Tuesday, the foundation felt an obligation to respond to the allegations as a sign of respect for the public’s right to be informed.

Is there anybody there for Kimse Yok Mu?

Pink Floyd says the following in their song Comfortably Numb: “There is no pain you are receding. A distant ship, smoke on the horizon. You are only coming through in waves.” I think these words reveal what is going on in the “new Turkey” under the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government.

Leaked photo shows 11 hijabi women, 2 babies in Bursa prison on terror, coup charges

The women are accused of having a membership in the Gülen movement, accused by the Turkish authorities to mastermind a coup attempt on July 15, 2016. The movement denies any involvement.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Panel on Middle East perspectives held at Ishik University

8.5-month pregnant woman under arrest though baby faces heart, kidney problems

Pakistan – Staff expelled from Turkish-backed schools on Erdogan’s demand

“There will be no Turkish Olympiad,” says Erdoğan

How Erdogan is covering up the corruption scandal

Alevi leader Kenanoğlu: Discrimination against Alevis increased in 2013

Erdoğan and Gülen: The Marriage of Convenience

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor