Pro-Gov’t Columnist Suggests Setting Turkey’s Silivri Prison Ablaze To Kill Inmates From Gülen Movement


Date posted: June 10, 2017

Fatih Tezcan, a pro-government public speaker and columnist, said in a video message posted on social media on Friday that people should gather in front of Silivri Prison, which mainly hosts people jailed over links to the Gülen movement, and set it on fire, similar to the Madımak Hotel in Sivas when an angry mob in 1993 torched the hotel, killing 37 people, mostly members of the Alevi sect.

Tezcan, who is known for extreme and violent suggestions against followers of the Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a failed coup last summer, also threatened the lawyers of people held in Silivri Prison, saying he knows their citizenship numbers, bar registration numbers and addresses, implying he would give the information to pro-government people if they insist defending them.

Claiming that the child of a martyr was slapped by lawyers in front of Silivri Prison, Tezcan said at least 5 to 10 thousand people should gather there, adding “Do you need someone to text you to get organized? Do you need a provocation? Do you need an Aziz Nesin [an Alevi intellectual whose speech allegedly provoked the Madımak massacre] to say something in order to gather in front of a place?”

Earlier in March, Tezcan suggested that Turkey should “bomb Pennsylvania” to kill Turkish-Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, whose views inspired the Gülen movement, and the people in his close circle.

Tezcan said Pennsylvania, where Gülen lives in self-imposed exile, should be bombed like the Kandil Mountains of northern Iraq, where hideouts belonging to the terrorist Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) are located.

“He [Gülen] should be executed in the place he lives. Not only Fethullah Gülen [should be killed], if there is a need for a list [of the people in Gülen’s close circle], I can provide it, but the relevant authorities have that list. Around 20-30 people [should also be killed],” Tezcan says in the video message.

He says there are around 200 countries in the world and that none of these countries should be a safe haven for Gülen followers.

Despite Gülen’s consistent messages against violence, the Turkish government, led by the Justice and Development Party (AKP), has accused him of plotting a July 15 coup attempt and labeling the movement “terrorist” in the absence of any violent action by its followers.

Gülen has been living in self-imposed exile since 1999 in Pennsylvania. Over the years, a significant yet unknown number of people from Turkey have been inspired by his teachings promoting education and the peaceful coexistence of different faiths and have opened schools and dialogue centers around the world.

Turkey has been pursuing a relentless purge against real and perceived sympathizers of the Gülen movement that gained momentum after July 15.

Source: Turkish Minute , June 10, 2017


Related News

The Failed Military Coup In Turkey & The Mass Purges: A Civil Society Perspective

Both Turkish society and the world celebrated the fact that an anti-democratic intervention in the government was prevented. Turkish government has every right to pursue plotters within the law. The actions of President Erdogan’s government in the immediate aftermath of the coup, however, constitute a mass purge rather than a proper investigation.

European Parliament calls for fair trial of suspects arrested in anti-coup operations in Turkey

Members of the European Parliament (EP) discussed developments following the July 15 failed coup attempt in Turkey at a session on Tuesday and stressed the need for the fair trial of suspects who have been arrested on coup charges.

Closing down prep schools and calling it ‘transformation’

BÜŞRA ERDAL, İSTANBUL Describing the government’s plan to close down the prep schools as a “transformation” is nothing more than saying, “I’m not going to say ‘close down prep schools,’ but I’m going to close them down.” The draft law in question will affect millions of students and their parents, but the debate on prep […]

Prime Ministry approved Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of ‘terrorism’

The humanitarian aid group Kimse Yok Mu, now accused of being an armed terrorist organization, had been directed by the Prime Ministry’s Disaster and Emergency Management Authority (AFAD), casting doubt on such claims.

Paralyzed by ill-treatment in Sivas prison, Turkish police officer dies at 33

Kadir Eyce, a 33-year-old police officer who was jailed due to alleged links to the Gülen movement, has died several weeks after he was released from prison due to health problems. According to photos and tweets posted by family members on Twitter, Eyce had been denied food and water in jail, thereby losing 45 kilograms in three months.

Thousands of Turks Seek Asylum in Germany

Many, though not all, of the officials are suspected of having links to the Gulen movement accused of plotting the 15 July coup attempt last year. Given the lack of evidence, it seems unlikely that the Turks would be able to provide better evidence to the Germans that these lower-level figures committed any crimes.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Interview with Henri Barkey on the Hizmet Movement

Fethullah Gulen’s Message of Condemnation and Condolences for St. Petersburg Terrorist Attack

Afghan minister says proud his children studied at Turkish schools

Colors of world meeting at Turkish Language Olympics

Scholars: Hizmet efforts to build schools will not stop

Turkey’s accused – Tragic stories of the purged

Erdoğan gov’t supports Iranian contest while obstructing Turkish Olympiad

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor