Stop doing Erdogan’s dirty work, Freedom centre tells Malaysia


Date posted: May 16, 2017

Stockholm Centre of Freedom (SCF) has called on the Malaysian government to halt its dirty bidding on behalf of the growingly repressive Turkish government led by President Recep Erdogan, following the arrest and deportation of three Turkish nationals from Kuala Lumpur.

In its report titled Erdogan’s Long Arms: The Case of Malaysia, the centre noted that Turkey has adopted a thuggish tactic in persecuting its critics and opponents abroad by orchestrating abductions, enforced disappearance and extrajudicial renditions, in addition to profiling and harassment of Turkish expatriates by government institutions and clandestine groups.

Based on the case of the abduction and deportation of Ismet Ozcelik, Turgay Karaman and Ihsan Aslan from Malaysia last week, the Sweden-based centre described Malaysia as a country with poor record of the law and having corrupt politicians.

It claimed the case of the three had exposed how the current Turkish government, led by an authoritarian and oppressive leadership, is stretching the limits of a sovereign power by whisking away its citizens from a foreign territory.

The report states Malaysia appeared to have willingly aided and abetted in the unlawful actions of the Turkish state.

“The Malaysian example showed how Erdogan can drag other leaders in his crime syndicate that trumps international human rights law. Corrupt and authoritarian regimes appear to be aiding and abetting Erdogan’s posse in his illegal manhunt in exchange for political deals and economic incentives,” SCF president Abdullah Bozkurt said.

“Since these people, who were turned over to Turkey on false charges will be subjected to torture, abuse and inhuman treatment for simply belonging to a vulnerable social group, the Malaysian government will be held accountable for enabling Erdogan’s crimes against humanity in the future,” Bozkurt added.

The report further claimed that Turkish embassies and government agencies, including the intelligence service and non-governmental organisations affiliated with the Justice and Development Party (AKP) government, were all involved in profiling and harassment of the members of the Fethullah Gülen movement.

The Malaysian example, SCF added, represents an extreme case where law-abiding and peaceful people who participated in Gülen’s advocacy of interfaith dialogue efforts were unlawfully detained and abused before extradition to Turkey, where they would face further torture, long pre-trial detention and unfair trials.

It said the Turkish government under Erdogan had stigmatised members of a civic group called Hizmet (Gulen) movement, inspired by Gulen, where the movement focuses on science, education, volunteerism, community involvement, social work and interfaith and intercultural dialogue.

SCF further called on the Malaysian authorities to protect Turkish expats from reprisals, to respect the rule of law and to comply with its international obligations under the human rights conventions.

“After all, safety and security, including the right to life for Gülen movement participants in Malaysia, fall under the responsibility of the Malaysian government.

“Just as European governments have taken measures to ensure the safety of Turkish nationals, especially Gülen movement participants, against what SCF has called the “long arms of Erdogan, Malaysia too must take all reasonable measures to make sure Turkish nationals live free of the fear of Erdogan’s grasp,” SCF added.

Karaman and Aslan were picked up by the Malaysian police on May 3, while Ozcelik was arrested a few days later.

They were deported to Ankara on May 11, as announced by inspector-general of police Khalid Abu Bakar.


Related Video

 

Source: Malaysiakini , May 15, 2017


Related News

Kaçmaz family deportation case: Lahore High Court seeks record of Civil Aviation Authority

The Lahore High Court (LHC) sought record of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of planes arrived and departed for Turkey from Allama Iqbal International Airport on 13-14 October, on Tuesday. The record is sought to investigate the forced deportation of Kacmaz family, despite them being under UN protection.

Grondahl: Turkish community strong in wake of threats from back home

After a three-year hiatus, forced underground by fear of political retaliation from the repressive autocratic Erdogan regime in Turkey, members of the local Turkish community are re-emerging.

Turkey’s teachers, police officers join unskilled labor force after coup purge

Many public servants, including police officers and teachers, found themselves working at unskilled jobs in the labor market after being dismissed following decrees issued by the Turkish government in the aftermath of a coup attempt on July 15, 2016.

Defamation campaign against Hizmet condemned by CSOs from across country

A large-scale dark propaganda war is being conducted by some circles close to the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government against the Hizmet movement and Gülen, particularly since a corruption scandal erupted in December of 2013 in which three Cabinet ministers’ sons, many state bureaucrats and renowned businessmen accused of giving bribes in exchange for favors were implicated.

Gülen’s lawyer: Targeting overseas Turkish educators breaks law

Nurullah Albayrak, the legal representative of Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, in a written statement on Wednesday spoke out against a front-page story in the pro-government Star daily that published the photos of 160 educators at Turkish schools overseas that are affiliated with the faith-based Gülen movement, saying the daily is breaking the law and violating those individuals’ human rights by depicting innocent people as criminals.

Turkey: Effort to Force Closure of Gülen Schools Falling Flat in Eurasia

The situation in Georgia illustrates the challenge for Turkish diplomats. A few days after the July 15 coup attempt, a translation of a TV interview began circulating that featured Yasin Temizkan, Turkey’s consul in the city of Batumi. In the interview, Temizkan urged the Georgian government to close the local Refaiddin Şahin Friendship School, a private institution considered part of the Gülen network. The justification, Temizkan said, was that the school was “serving terrorist groups.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Feds don’t see extradition for Turkish cleric [Mr. Gulen]

World media covers possible anti-journalist ops; Turkish press silent

Turkish school students raises pocket moneys to buy stoves for refugees

Turkey: Erdogan’s macabre dance in Africa

Turkish Olympiad finals held all around the globe in prestigious venues in a variety of cities

Rubin says Gülen’s extradition would convince Erdoğan that blackmail works

From Islamophobia to ‘Hizmet-phobia’

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor