Afghan Students, families baulk at Turkey taking over schools


Date posted: April 22, 2017

Mirabed Joyenda

A number of parents of students at Afghan-Turk Schools on Saturday said at a meeting in Kabul they support the continuation of the schools in the country and do not want control to be handed over to the Turkish government.

The Afghan-Turk Schools students also wrote a letter to Afghan and Turkish government leaders and said they do not want the schools to be handed over to the Turkish government.

“Recently we have been very sad because we have been accused of being terrorists. Our schools, for no reason, are being handed over to someone else,” said one student, Gulbahar.

The management of Afghan-Turk Schools also said the schools will continue to operate as usual.

Three months have passed since classes started at our schools. We launched the project that was planned last year for Khost province. We continue our services as regular and free of issues around a handover,” said Ahmad Fawad Haidari, the deputy director of Afghan-Turk Schools.


A number of parents of students at Afghan-Turk Schools on Saturday said at a meeting in Kabul they support the continuation of the schools in the country and do not want control to be handed over to the Turkish government.


Ahmad Neman, a student at an Afghan-Turk school, joined the school two years ago and is in grade eight.

Neman’s father said handing over the schools to the Turkish government will have a negative impact and the move would not be a positive change for students.

“Let’s simply ignore terrorism. We want schools and we are against terrorism. No one wants his children to become a terrorist,” Abdullah Dawi, Neman’s father said.

“99 percent of the students do not want the school to be handed over,” said Neman.

Currently between 7,000 and 8,000 students are studying at Afghan-Turk Schools in Kabul, Balkh, Kandahar, Nangarhar, Herat and Jawzjan provinces.


The Afghan-Turk Schools students also wrote a letter to Afghan and Turkish government leaders and said they do not want the schools to be handed over to the Turkish government. “Recently we have been very sad because we have been accused of being terrorists. Our schools, for no reason, are being handed over to someone else,” said one student, Gulbahar.


Thousands of students have graduated from these schools over the years.

In February, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani agreed to hand over the Afghan-Turk Schools, previously run by a pro-Gulen institution, to the Turkish Education Foundation [Maarif Foundation] which is a government institution.

This step was not welcomed by the affected schools.

Afghan-Turk Schools were supported by Fethullah Gulen, head of Gulen movement. After the failed military coup in Turkey last year, tensions between President Rajab Tayeb Erdogan and Gulen increased. Erdogan ordered all countries to handover the schools to the Turkish government.

Afghan-Turk Schools has been active in Afghanistan for 20 years.

 

Source: Tolo News , April 22, 2017


Related News

GYV praised for response to accusations about Hizmet movement

FATMA DİŞLİ ZIBAK, ALİ ASLAN KILIÇ, İSTANBUL/ANKARA An 11-article statement released by the Journalists and Writers Foundation (GYV) on Tuesday in response to a series of controversial claims and slanderous accusations made about the Hizmet movement has received appreciation and applause from many who said the statement is a good response to those who wish […]

Police detain student over fingerprints on Gülen books

According to a report, the police were informed that books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen were thrown in the garbage by unidentified people in the Belediyeevleri neighborhood of the Canik district of Samsun province. After the investigation, fingerprints on the books were matched to those of A.E.A, a 22-year-old university student.

Deviation, crisis and opportunities…

The recent crisis going on between the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government and the Hizmet movement is indeed not just a struggle between the two actors. It means much more than that. This fight represents a struggle between democracy and autocracy, freedom and oppression and a harmonious society and a polarized society.

Nigeria wants more Turkish schools to increase quality of education

Dr. Mac-John Nwaobiala, the permanent secretary of the Nigeria Federal Ministry of Education, said on Sunday more Turkish schools must be opened in Nigeria to increase the quality of education.

Erdogan plotted purge before coup, say Brussels spies

he European intelligence contradicts the Turkish government’s claim that Fethullah Gülen, an exiled cleric, was behind the plot to overthrow the Turkish government. Ankara is seeking Mr Gülen’s extradition from the US.

‘Mission impossible’ for Turkey’s ambassadors

Erdogan has placed an extremely heavy burden on Turkey’s ambassadors. The same ambassadors for many years have been under instructions to promote the schools and activities of the Gulen movement as Turkey’s “biggest and most effective lobbying operation” and to support them.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Nigeria: Post-2015 Agenda – Addressing the Inadequacies in Women’s Rights

Is Hizmet being subjected to genocide? (2)

Accused by Erdogan of plotting a coup, Hizmet movement fears for freedom in Turkey

Pakistan plans to expel Turkish teachers linked to opposition at home

Canada grants asylum to eight Gulenists under UN protection in Mongolia

Fethullah Gulen talking about Turkey’s failed coup: Responses to Philadelphia World Affairs Council

The Hizmet movement, social democracy, the religious left

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor