Secretary Tillerson: Evidence against Gulen provided by Turkey inadequate, while voluminous


Date posted: March 31, 2017

According to a story on Financial Times, the meeting between US Secretary of State Mr. Rex Tillerson and his counterpart Foreign Affairs Minister Mr. Mevlut Cavusoglu was tense as the US officials have privately said the evidence provided by Turkey has been inadequate, while voluminous. Below is related excerpts from the news.

Mehul Srivastava in Istanbul and Laura Pitel in Ankara

US secretary of state Rex Tillerson failed to soothe relations with Turkey after holding tense talks with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on issues ranging from the Syrian conflict to the extradition of a Turkish cleric.

Mr Tillerson showed little movement on the main issues pushing the Nato allies apart: US support for a Syrian Kurdish militia that Turkey considers a terrorist group; Ankara’s demand for the extradition of Fethullah Gulen, the cleric it blames for a failed coup; and the arrest of a senior executive of a Turkish state-owned bank in New York this week, the officials said.

The tension was evident at a press conference Mr Tillerson held with Mevlut Cavusoglu.

Mr Cavusoglu also asked the US to grant the extradition of Mr Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in Pennsylvania since 1999, while leading a network of Islamist sympathisers that penetrated the Turkish judiciary and military during a long alliance with Mr Erdogan.

Mr Gulen denies any role in the failed coup in July, and US officials have privately said the evidence provided by Turkey has been inadequate, while voluminous. Prime Minister Binali Yildirim recently described the delay as a joke on Turkey.

The arrest this week of Mehmet Hakan Atilla, the deputy chief executive of HalkBank, for allegedly conspiring with an Iranian-Turkish citizen to help Iran evade US sanctions has further strained relations.

Mr Cavusoglu condemned the arrest as a political decision, and suggested that Preet Bharara, the recently fired US attorney for the Southern District of New York, and the judge in the case, were influenced by Mr Gulen.

“The former prosecutor [Bharara] has close relations with Feto [the Turkish acronym for the Gulenist movement] including the judge,” Mr Cavusoglu said. “They came to Turkey before, and they have participated in some political meetings and he has made some statements against Turkey.”

Mr Bharara recently retweeted a criticism of the decision by Mr Tillerson to avoid any meetings with the Turkish opposition during his visit.

Source: Financial Times , March 30, 2017


Related News

Yet another woman detained due to Gülen links shortly after delivery

Sultan Çetintaş, who gave birth on Monday to her third child in the Turkish province of İzmir, was detained on Tuesday over alleged links to the faith-based Gülen movement. Çetintaş was taken to the courthouse with her one-day-old baby after undergoing a C-section.

Bittersweet joy for teachers amid prep schools conflict in Turkey

Zaman columnist Ali Ünal expresses how prep schools by the Hizmet movement were established under difficult circumstances under the leadership of Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen. Preps schools prevent students from falling into bad habits by giving them both life and schools lesson at the same time at reasonable prices, writes Ünal.

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

Indeed, just last week a columnist in a pro-government daily argued that officials in certain government institutions have been expelled over their alleged ties to the Hizmet movement. This is no different from a witch hunt. In a civilized society, expelling qualified professionals because of their sympathy for a religious and social movement can only be described as discrimination.

Turkey’s Curious Coup – positions of the Turkish Government, Gulen Movement and Turkey’s Western allies

Within days of the coup attempt, James Clapper, the then-Director of US National Intelligence, said that they had not seen any intelligence indicating Gülen’s involvement. Bruno Kahl, head of Germany’s BND foreign intelligence agency, said during an interview in March 2017 that he did not believe Gülen was behind the coup.

Somalia agrees Turkey’s anti-Gülen crackdown, Kenya, Germany and Indonesia resist

In Kenya, where Gulen’s Omeriye Foundation has grown from its first school in 1998 in the vast Nairobi slum of Kibera to a nationwide network of academies, the government has resisted pressure to close them down. Turkish officials have requested Kenya to shut down the Gulenist schools on a number of occasions before the attempted coup.

Trustees seize control of schools in government-led move

A judge in İstanbul has ordered that trustees be appointed to 12 companies, including the FEM and Anafen prep schools established by people sympathetic to the faith-based Gülen movement for allegedly being affiliated with Kaynak Holding.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen Condemns Turkish Crackdown on His Supporters

Izetbegovic praises Turkish schools and universities abroad

Fethullah Gülen: ‘I Call For An International Investigation Into The Failed Putsch In Turkey’

CSOs across Turkey slam campaign under way to discredit Hizmet movement

Italian professor: Fethullah Gulen is a true lover of the Prophet

Turkey’s Gulen crackdown hits Canada

‘Everybody reads about Prophet Muhammad’

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor