Ex-Pentagon advisor says Turkey is heading towards civil conflict, if not civil war


Date posted: March 29, 2017

Michael Rubin, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute and a former Pentagon advisor, said on Wednesday that President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan’s plans to expand his power are dragging Turkey towards “a prolonged period of civil conflict if not civil war.”

In an interview with the Fırat News Agency (ANF) published on Wednesday, Rubin underlined that Turkey is already dangerously polarized prior to an April 16 referendum on a constitutional package that will grant sweeping powers to Erdoğan and switch the country to an executive presidency.

“We know from Turkish political history that such polarization often leads to violence. Dictatorial powers for Recep Tayyip Erdoğan will allow him to transform Turkey completely. The fact that so many people opposed to Erdoğan are in prison or fear that Erdoğan will use the mechanisms of the state to punish their families or ruin them financially means that they will never accept the outcome of a ‘yes’ victory in the referendum, causing tension to remain and worsen. In short, I fear that Turkey is headed to a prolonged period of civil conflict if not civil war,” Rubin said.

When asked about his perspective on the Kurdish question in light of the latest developments in the region, Rubin said, “Erdoğan’s policies will lead to the permanent division of Turkey.”

“Whether that’s a division of internal borders or a partition of the country remains to be seen,” he added.

Source: Turkish Minute , March 29, 2017


Related News

Sweden delays sending back Erdogan dissenters

Asylum seekers with ties to the opposition from last month’s failed coup attempt in Turkey will not be sent back to the nation by Sweden until further notice, the Swedish Migration Agency has decided. People who have taken part in “credible political opposition” are also part of the risk group, the Migration Agency writes on its website.

Abant Platform urges government, protesters to exercise common sense

Turkey’s leading social debate platform Abant has called on both government and protesters to exercise common sense, urging restraint for both sides to avoid violence in nationwide protests that gripped Turkey for more than a week. The Abant Platform expressed its concerns over possible chaos that could follow sometimes mutually violent actions of both sides […]

Gov’t discriminates against Hizmet-affiliated private schools

Some private schools affiliated with the Hizmet movement, a faith-based social movement inspired by Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, have been prevented from accessing government incentives. According to an official list published by the Education Ministry on Monday, many high-achieving private schools did not make the cut to be eligible for financial aid from the government.

India must understand Erdogan’s ideological motives for seeking extradition of Gülenists

Since its inception in India, Hizmet is known for its peace activism, interfaith dialogue and counter-extremism. Operating in the country through interfaith dialogue centres, educational institutions and cultural associations, it is articulating an evolving narrative of peace, pluralism and non-violence based on the spiritual ideas and principles of Gülen’s progressive and dialogic narrative of Sufism, as this research paper also elaborates.

Kimse Yok Mu and UN launch relief project for Syrian refugees

UN funded 3,5 million Turkish Liras (around 1,75 million USD) to the project while KYM will organize the delivery of the money to the bank accounts of 17000 Syrian refugees in amount of TL 100 throughout January and February.
Speaking about their commonly organized project with UNHCR, Head of KYM’s İstanbul office Celal Türkoğlu stated that they are frequently in touch with the UN while KYM is accredited to the UN’s Economic and Social Council.

Islamic lender raises capital after massive gov’t withdrawal

Turkish Islamic lender Bank Asya has made a cash capital increase on the back of claims that state-owned companies and institutional depositors have withdrawn millions of Turkish Liras of the bank’s total deposits. The lender said it had decided to make a cash capital increase of 33 percent to 1.2 billion liras ($515 million) and was selling an 18 percent stake in retailer Yeni Mağazacılık (A101) for 298 million liras.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

GYV announces the third international family policy conference

Extradition request for Gülen aims at manipulating public perception

Afghan Students, families baulk at Turkey taking over schools

Gülen appeals for steadfastness against gov’t ban on prep schools [in Turkey]

Erdoğan’s plan to contain corruption scandal

Doctors Worldwide Turkey, Kimse Yok Mu set to help Gazans

Samanyolu high school wins gold medal in TÜBİTAK contest

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor