Turkish consulate in Rotterdam seized passports of Gulen-supporters


Date posted: February 17, 2017

Janene Pieters

The Turkish consulate in Rotterdam confiscated the Turkish passports of a number of Dutch-Turkish people believed to be affiliated with the Gulen movement, Trouw reported on Friday. The people involved were told that they are now classified as a fugitive and were given a one-day passport to fly to Turkey and prove their innocence in front of a judge, according to the newspaper.

Four people made contact with asylum lawyers after the consulate took their passports. But the lawyers believe that much larger numbers are involved.

According to the newspaper, the Dutch government knows about a number of cases in which Dutch-Turks’ passports were confiscated. A spokesperson told Trouw that each state has the authority to revoke a citizen’s passport. “The Netherlands has no influence on this”, he said. He could not say how many people had their passports confiscated by the Turkish consulate.


The Turkish consulate in Rotterdam confiscated the Turkish passports of a number of Dutch-Turkish people believed to be affiliated with the Gulen movement. The people involved were told that they are now classified as a fugitive and were given a one-day passport to fly to Turkey and prove their innocence in front of a judge.


Following an attempted military coup in Turkey on July 15th last year, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan started prosecuting everyone suspected of supporting the coup. According to Erdogan, Islamic cleric Fethullah Gulen and his followers were behind the coup. Gulen denies all involvement.

In the aftermath of the attempted coup, about 120 thousand soldiers, police officers, judges, prosecutors, journalists, teachers and government officials were fired or suspended. Over 41 thousand people are still in custody awaiting trial. Earlier this week it was revealed that a number of Turkish soldiers, who were working for NATO at the time of the coup, sought asylum in the Netherlands. They feared being arrested if they returned to their home country.

Source: NL Times , February 17, 2017


Related News

A battle for power in Turkey faces resistance in Senegal

The closure of Yavuz Selim schools isn’t just a blow for its students, but also for the state of education in Senegal, a country where about one-third of children remain out of school. The schools had a reputation for excellence, ranking for years among Senegal’s best. Students got top scores in national exams, and went on to study at international universities.

Turkish official says 252 companies seized over Gülen links

The companies are alleged to be connected to the Gülen movement, a civic initiative based in Turkey, with the government coining the term “FETÖ” to designate the movement a terrorist organization despite the lack of any court verdict to that effect. A court last week in fact ruled out the existence of such an organization named “FETÖ.”

Police report accuses Gülen based on fabricated ‘gov’t media’ stories

According to a story reported by the news portal Rota Haber, the National Police Department drafted a secret report in June 2014 mostly based on stories in pro-government media which claim that the Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen is the leader of a terrorist organization and is responsible for the wiretapping of a classified meeting at the Foreign Ministry.

Turkey’s targeted teachers find refuge in Vietnam

Vietnam feels like an odd refuge for those who put their faith in one of Turkey’s most controversial political figures—a man who preaches peace, but has been accused of fomenting war. For Yildirim and others like him, however, it may prove the safest place in the world.

Erdogan critic calls jailing of his mother and brother ‘perverse’ and ‘politically motivated’

A high-profile critic of the Turkish government has described the jailing of his 75-year-old mother and brother to a combined 91-year sentence as “ludicrous” and “perverse”. Akin Ipek said the ‘human rights abuses’ against his family were unacceptable in any civilised country.

Disabled woman loses health care due to son-in-law’s Gülen links

Ömer Faruk Gergerlioğlu, a member of parliament from Turkey’s left wing pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), said the health care benefits of a gravely disabled woman were cut off because her son-in-law was a public servant dismissed from his job by government decree.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Fethullah Gulen’s Statement on Mass Shooting at Pittsburgh Synagogue

Romanian Judge Blocks Extradition of Second Arrested ‘Gulenist’

Is [Erdogan’s] Maarif Foundation capable of delivering quality education?

Police raid building Fethullah Gülen resided in 55 years ago

Thousands of Turks Seek Asylum in Germany

People overwhelmingly support democracy as answer to Kurdish issue

AK Party takes action to expel deputy who opposed closure of prep schools

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor