Turkish PM: State of emergency will continue until Gülen movement completely wiped out


Date posted: January 27, 2017

Turkish Prime Minister Binali Yıldırım said in Ankara on Thursday that the state of emergency which was declared following a failed coup attempt in July of last year will continue until the faith-based Gülen movement, which the government accuses of being behind the coup attempt, is completely wiped out from state institutions.

Speaking during a ceremony to launch the Justice Ministry’s judicial database project in Ankara, Yıldırım said his Justice and Development Party (AKP) has brought about effective changes in the judicial system and that the state of emergency will remain in force “to wipe ‘FETÖ’ out completely.”

FETÖ is a derogatory term for the Fetullahist Terrorist Organization, coined by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and the AKP to refer to the Gülen movement, a global civil society movement inspired by the views of US-based Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen.

“Not with mercy or with revenge, we are going to treat them [Gülen followers] with justice. … It has been six or seven months since the [failed] coup took place. Those who took up arms and killed people are known. Citizens are asking why these people still have not been tried. … Why do you think people keep screaming for the death penalty? They want to see results. This is the payoff for a 40-year-long case. If we speed up the process, people will calm down,” Yıldırım said.

He also admitted that a commission established by a recent government decree to investigate lawsuits filed during a state of emergency was actually established to prevent the victims of post-coup violations from taking their cases to the European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR).

Meanwhile, President Erdoğan told reporters on his way back to Turkey from a visit to Africa that holding a referendum on constitutional amendments under the state of emergency may create a “comfortable ground” for Turkey.

“Going [to referendum] with the state of emergency may prepare a comfortable ground. I am aware that the government also thinks this way since there is no such thing as ‘there cannot be elections while there is a state of emergency.’ Remember, before we came to power, there was a state of emergency in Turkey and the election was held under such circumstances. We lifted the state of emergency after we came to power,” he said.

Source: Turkish Minute , January 27, 2017


Related News

Calls to boycott Hizmet institutions denting market confidence

Calls that have been made over a period of several months by top government officials, including Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, to boycott schools and institutions run by the Hizmet movement will undermine confidence in Turkish markets, a recent report has said.

Turkey: ‘Exclusion for all’ state

No matter how many times I say, “Nothing worse or more unbelievable could happen,” Turkey never stops surprising me. Of course, as many agree, the unpredictable nature of things in Turkey makes this country a gold mine for journalists and researchers, but it’s exhausting at the same time. On Tuesday, the Journalists and Writers Foundation’s […]

Trustees decide to remove Gülen’s books from NT bookstores

In an explicit example of censorship, a panel of trustees who were appointed to Kaynak Holding last week in a government-backed move has decided to have copies of all books written by Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen removed from the shelves of hundreds of NT Mağazaları bookstores across the country, Today’s Zaman has learned.

Police officer reassigned for attending dershane picnic

The Interior Ministry has reassigned police officer H.D., who worked at the National Police Department’s Anti-terrorism Unit in Ankara, on the grounds that he and his child attended a picnic organized by a dershane (private preparatory school) affiliated with the faith-based Hizmet movement.

Turkish Islamic scholar Gülen loses 72-year-old brother

Seyfullah Gülen, the brother of leading Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, died at the age of 72 on Friday morning at the private Şifa Hospital in Erzurum, where he had been receiving treatment after a heart attack.

Somalian students condemn plot against Kimse Yok Mu

Kimse Yok Mu has presence in 113 nations directly providing aid to 300 thousands. The non-profit passed a controversially rigorous 2-month inspection with flying colors.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Kimse Yok Mu to build 4 schools in Sudan

Pentagon Allies Jailed in Turkey Amid Coup Backlash, General Says

Gülen-linked GYV brings message of peace, dialogue to polarized Turkey

Turkish prosecutor discredits Gülen movement to counterparts in 121 countries

Fethullah Gulen issued messages of condolence for victims of the ISIS attacks in Iraq and Bangladesh

Fethullah Gulen’s response to ‘coup’ accusations

Who is Fethullah Gulen, the man blamed for coup attempt in Turkey?

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor