Turkey’s Maarif schools to be funded by Saudi and IDB money


Date posted: October 16, 2016

The Maarif Foundation, established by the Turkish government in order to compete with Turkish schools abroad established by Gülen movement sympathizers, has received approval from Saudi authorities and the Islamic Development Bank (IDB) for financial support for Maarif schools abroad, a Turkish news portal reported on Friday.

According to the TR724.com website, the nod for the financial support came from Majid bin Abdullah Al Qasabi, the minister of commerce and investment of Saudi Arabia, and Dr. Ahmet Tıktık, vice president of the IDB, during Turkish Development Minister Lütfi Elvan’s visit to Saudi Arabia last week.

Maarif Foundation representatives in Elvan’s delegation provided derogatory information about the schools established by the Gülen movement, inspired by the views of US-based Turkish scholar Fethullah Gülen, who the Turkish government accuses of masterminding a failed coup attempt on July 15, and requested financial support from the IDB which has its headquarters in Saudi city of Jeddah and is mainly funded by the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.

According to TR724.com, the Maarif Foundation is seeking funding to establish the schools as it was unable to secure adequate support from Turkish businessmen.

On Sept. 14, Turkish Education Minister İsmet Yılmaz announced that the Maarif Foundation was planning to take over 65 schools linked to the Gülen movement in 15 unnamed countries. However, no countries had handed over any schools run by the Gülen movement to the Maarif Foundation as of Oct. 14.

Inspired by Gülen, the owners of thousands of small and medium-sized businesses in Turkey have established schools and universities in 170 countries.

The government puts the blame on Gülen for the July 15 coup attempt, an allegation strongly denied by the scholar. Since then, Turkish authorities have launched a massive crackdown on the movement, arresting 20,000 public servants and dismissing nearly 150,000 public officials over alleged ties to the movement. The government has also confiscated the properties of hundreds of companies and arrested leading businessmen over suspected links to the movement.

Despite tremendous efforts exerted by the government, only a few countries have given in to pressure from Ankara over the shutdown of Gülen-linked schools, with a majority of them refusing to meet the demands of the Turkish government.

Source: Turkish Minute , October 15, 2016


Related News

Liberia: Turkish School to Remain Open

The Government of Liberian says the Turkish Light International School System remains a private institution of learning in Liberia and enjoys all the privileges provided all educational institutions operating in the country until it concludes an investigation into allegations that operators of the school here were linked to a failed coup in Turkey.

Özfatura: Erdoğan does not want civil society that is not pro-AK Party

Dr. Burhan Özfatura was witnessed the meetings of former President Turgut Özal and former Prime Minister Tansu Çiller with Fethullah Gülen. He says: “Both asked what they can do for him. Gülen told them not to believe anybody who asks for a favor by referring to himself.”

What to know about the group Erdogan is blaming for Turkey’s coup

Gülen’s movement presses for a moderate version of Sunni Islam that emphasizes tolerance and interfaith dialogue. The organization lacks any official hierarchy or structure, but followers have built up a network of think tanks, schools and publications in locations around the world.

Parents seeking urgent Release of School Principle Fatih Keskin

“As parents, as we are concerned about the way the principal of this school is treated, and we expect information on the further development of the situation regarding the treatment of the principal,” parents stated, adding that they request to be informed on the reasons for the arrest as soon as possible.

Lawyers highlight attempt to pin unsolved murders on Gülen

The decision by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office to re-examine cases of unsolved murders that took place between 2000 and 2013 is an attempt to pin the murders on Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen and the Hizmet movement, a grassroots civil society organization inspired by Gülen, the scholar’s lawyers have said.

AK Party government removing critical voices from state bodies

Many bureaucrats who are just doing their jobs and have no affiliation with any political groups now face [the prospect of] being dismissed with a claim of having links to the Hizmet movement. However, it is widely known that many of the bureaucrats discharged from their posts do not have any links with the movement,” Arslan said.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

‘Gulen Movement is a civil society movement, rather than a religious one’

Pro-Erdoğan journalists call for assassination of Gülen followers abroad

Post-Kemalist but still illiberal Turkey

‘A very good representative of the best in Islam, Hizmet contributes to the non-Muslim world’s understanding of Islam’

Bilal Erdogan: Italy names Turkish president’s son in money laundering investigation allegedly connected to political corruption

Fethullah Gulen’s books draw booklovers at Riyadh book fair

Turkey: Erdogan’s macabre dance in Africa

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor