Kidnappers demand N100m for Turkish school victims


Date posted: January 17, 2017

Robert Egbe and Oluwatoyin Adeleye

The abductors of eight pupils and workers of Nigerian Tulip International College (NTIC) have made a ransom demand of N100 million to free them, The Nation learnt yesterday.

It was gathered that the kidnappers contacted the husband of one of the victims early yesterday to make the demand.

The plea that the families did not have that amount of money was rejected by the kidnappers, it was learnt.

“The kidnappers called early this morning and demanded N100m. That is what they are insisting on for now, but the family cannot raise that amount.

“We are worried. We hope God will touch their heart to free all the victims. The police are also assuring us that they are on top of the situation,” a source close to the family said.

But the Ogun State Police Command denied knowledge of any contact with or discussion on ransom from the kidnappers.

Spokesman Abimbola Oyeyemi said the police were still doing all they could to rescue the victims.

He said: “We are not aware of that. We are not aware. We are doing our own job trying to get the victims rescued, so we are not aware of any discussion about ransom.”

Also yesterday, students of the college were sent home and academic activities suspended.

Vice Principal (Academic), Mr. Olayinka Aderoju, told The Nation that the school had been closed for this week, after which a Parents’ Teachers Association (PTA) meeting will be held and the reopening will be discussed.

He was hopeful that the victims would be returned safely.

Aderoju said: “For security reasons, we cannot divulge any information about the development yet. But we are doing our part and the security operatives are doing theirs, but we cannot say anything that can jeopardize the efforts. But we are hopeful of their early release and freedom. For now the school is observing a break in order to identify with those abducted students and staff. We cannot continue as though things are normal. In any case, we are hopeful that very soon there will be good result for us. For now, we have not decided how long the break will be but on Saturday we will hold a PTA meeting where we will review the situation and after that we will determine what to do but before then, we are hopeful.”

Parents and authorities of the school were thrown into panic at the weekend, when kidnappers dressed in military camouflage uniforms, stormed the school and whisked away three students, three female supervisors, one female cook and a female Turkish teacher.

Two of the abducted students were preparing for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) exam.

The VP called for government’s intervention to end the spate of kidnappings across the country, noting that the lives of innocent children were at risk.

“This shows that government has a big responsibility on its hands. This situation is getting out of hand and government has so much left to be done. Are they trying to tell people that their children are not safe anymore, even in their schools? I think they can do better in the area of security,” he said.

Source: The Nation , January 16, 2017


Related News

Atyrau Kazakh-Turk High Schools celebrates its 20th anniversary

Ayhan Özcimbit It was exactly 20 years ago on August 25th in 1993 when Mr. Suleyman, Ali and I arrived in the city Atyrau -formerly known as Guryev- located off the Caspian Sea. The provincial education department official, Ms. Jayla greeted us with flowers and then we moved in an apartment in the neighborhood Avangart. […]

Police, gov’t inspectors raid Gülen-inspired private, prep schools in Gaziantep

In another instance of a government-orchestrated operation targeting the faith-based Gülen movement, the police along with inspectors from several ministries and institutions conducted raids at eight institutions owned by the Safa Education Institution, which was established by volunteers of the movement in Gaziantep, early on Monday.

Astana says Gulen-linked schools to remain

The Ministry of Education of Kazakhstan said in a statement on July 30 that the Turkish schools linked to Fetullah Gülen, who allegedly led failed coup attempt in Turkey according to the President Erdogan, will remain on the territory of the Central Asian nation. The statement followed the Friday warning of Turkey’s ambassador to Kazakhstan.

Pioneer Academy of Science to Move to a New Campus

The Turkish school Pioneer Academy of Science operating in Clifton, New Jersey for years is going to move into its new building in September, 2013. The school administration, in search for a new building for a long time, have announced the decision to move into a larger complex located in Wayne township of New Jersey.

Graduation ceremony of Turkish School in Kenya

(Ebru News/AP) While Turkish schools around the world are praised by many, 10th year graduates are enjoying their diplomas in Africa where Turkiye has launched a new diplomacy inniative. Isik College located in the capital of Kenya that started educating in 1998 and achieved the most important accomplishments in the country. At 2007 Kenya university […]

Nigerian Federal Government ignores Turkey’s request to close Turkish schools

The relations between Nigeria and Turkey have been traditionally cordial, and bilateral trade has grown over the years between them. The annual trade volume between Turkey and Nigeria was $1.2 billion by second quarter of 2016, and this consists of clothing, food, engines and automobile parts, as well as pharmaceuticals.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Columnist sees Gülen ‘conspiracy’ in ruling against Israel

Turkish school shelters locals in earthquake-hit Nepal

Will the AKP lose votes in disagreement with Gülen movement?

Suspicious deaths, suicides become common occurrence in post-coup Turkey

Turkish schools building peace in Africa

Pictures of friendship drawn on hearts: Philippines

Afghan, Pakistani leaders praise Turkish schools at Ankara summit

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor