5,166 Turkish citizens sought asylum in Germany during January-November


Date posted: December 25, 2016

Germany received asylum applications from a total of 5,166 Turkish citizens during the January-November period of 2016, according to a story in Deutsche Welle on Sunday.

Responding to a question from the Funke Mediengruppe, the German government has announced that 5,166 Turkish citizens have sought asylum in Germany, noting that 80 percent of them are of Kurdish origin.

According to data from the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, there has been a rapid rise in the number of Turkish people seeking asylum in Germany since a failed coup attempt on July 15.

While the number of Turkish citizens who sought asylum in Germany in January 2016 was 109, this figure rose to 702 for the month of November alone.

Yet, the German government has declined to establish a link between the rise in asylum applications from Turkish citizens and the coup attempt.

A statement from the Funke Mediengruppe said the German government does not give any credit to the speculation about the possible reasons for the rise in the number of asylum applications.

Source: Turkish Minute , December 25, 2016


Related News

Erdoğanist Turks Target Inter-Cultural Dialogue Activities Of Gülen Followers In Germany

A group of pro-Erdoğan Turkish Islamists came together in the city of Duisburg, Germany, and protested the schools operated and inter-cultural dialogue activities which have been carried out by the Turkish people who are affiliated with the Gülen movement.

Gülen says arms, swords have no place in Hizmet’s philosophy

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen has stressed that the idea of pursuing an armed struggle has never had a place in the philosophy of the Hizmet movement

Why does Turkey’s President Erdogan want Knicks’ Enes Kanter in jail?

A Turkish prosecutor asked for NBA’s New York Knicks star Enes Kanter to be jailed for up to four years for insulting Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, the state-run news agency Anadolu reported on Wednesday. “I have said less than that honorless (man) deserves. Add another 4 years for me, master,” he told his 526,000 Twitter followers.

Gov’t tries to frame Hizmet with secret statements from shady sources

The alleged government-plot against members of the faith-based Hizmet movement, disclosed in June by former Interior Minister İdris Naim Şahin, was further instigated with questionable testimonies obtained from secret witnesses, informants and anonymous complainants leading to criminal prosecutions apparently orchestrated by political authorities.

Fethullah Gulen: Violence can not be a remedy for violence

BAHADIR BERK Interpreting the violent events in France for Aksiyon, Fethullah Gulen said: “Intelligence organizations should work in Turkey more sensitively. Violence should be suppressed even before it gets out of its slot. If you exhaust your power with delusions such as ‘It is possible that these will pose a threat in the future. Let […]

Cold Turkey: Erdogan’s withdrawal from democracy

The bizarre, phantom-like failed coup d’etat staged against Erdoğan’s increasingly brutal regime on July 15 last year saw him seize the opportunity to exterminate, imprison and purge tens of thousands of his enemies, real and imagined, within all strata of civil society, the military, government, media, education, health, the judiciary and other institutions.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

How It Feels to Be a Dissident in Turkey After the Failed Military Coup

Turkish women make a difference in Africa

Al-Azhar has examined and approved all the works of Mr. Gulen

Message of tolerance, peace expressed at GYV’s fast-breaking dinner

3,623 Aggravated Life Sentences Sought In Turkey For Scholar Fethullah Gülen

Minister says Pak-Turk schools won’t be closed down

Yamanlar Koleji crowns Turkey with second gold medal

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor