Gift From God: How Erdogan Turned July 15 Into Windfall


Date posted: December 6, 2016

MACIT FERHAN

Although almost five months have passed since an abortive coup that shattered and upset every aspect of political and social life in Turkey, the bloody event is still shrouded in mystery. Despite the fact that it played out live on TV on the night of July 15 and early hours of July 16 in front of the eyes of the millions of people, there is still scant evidence about its leadership, how it was planned and why it failed miserably.

The doomed putsch allowed Erdogan to launch his own coup to reshape the Turkish state by sweeping purges in all departments of the state bureaucracy. Numbers speak for itself. As of Dec. 1, more than 125,000 public officials have been dismissed.


According to an official narrative of the government, MIT learned the coup plans earlier in the day and its chief several times discussed it with army chief Akar. One fundamental contradiction was the fact that despite this early warning and intelligence, commanders of navy, ground forces and air forces attended a wedding ceremony that night.


“People flooded to streets to confront putschist elements and tanks. They successfully turned the coup to their own coup,” President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said while speaking at a ceremony to open a political history museum that carries the name of former President Abdullah Gul in central province of Kayseri. The president’s comments add additional suspicion that the attempted coup, executed in the most amateurish fashion possible, well might be staged by Erdogan himself.

As the coup was unfolding early July 16, Erdogan described the coup attempt as “a gift from God.” Since then, a series of actions taken by Erdogan, who is now ruling the country by decrees, shattered political foundations of the republic, left a deeply fractured army and ended rule of law by eradicating the basic tenets of judicial independence. The debilitating purge campaign included 3,500 judges and prosecutors.

While putschists were still making their push for the coup attempt, in his first reaction to the attempted takeover via FaceTime, Erdogan immediately placed the blame on U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gulen. Regardless of the scope of scapegoating that was evidently on display in recent years, Erdogan’s handling of the post-coup era and immediate purges in the judiciary provide a cautionary tale about the coup saga in Turkey.


While the entire nation watched the whole drama on streets live on TV, perpetrators behind the coup and how it took place have largely gone unanswered. And the government’s control of media and subsequent crackdown on critical media renders it almost impossible to learn the whole truth.


Whether it was a real coup or a staged one, Erdogan, in the eyes of many, successfully converted it into his own counter-coup by orchestrating the post-coup transformation of the state. A month before his arrest, pro-Kurdish People’s Democracy Party (HDP) leader Selahattin Demirtas bluntly accused Erdogan of not acting before the attempted coup to prevent it from taking place although there was strong intelligence about preparations of some army factions.

Speaking to fellow party members in Parliament back in September, he even went to say that many lawmakers, during their private conversations in the corridors of Parliament, acknowledged that the government had prior information about the coup and even it might be staged by themselves.

Officials note that the National Intelligence Agency (MIT) obtained information about coup plans on July 15, earlier in the day around 4:00 p.m. Erdogan later said he could not reach undersecretary Hakan Fidan as the coup started (He said he learned it from his brother-in-law). If Erdogan’s account is correct, it was not clear why Fidan did not inform the president about the plans, but instead went to headquarters of General Staff and met with the military chief Gen. Hulusi Akar to discuss counter-measures to stop it.

To the surprise of many, Fidan was able to keep his position despite the lack of communication and intelligence failure.

According to an official narrative of the government, MIT learned the coup plans earlier in the day and its chief several times discussed it with army chief Akar. One fundamental contradiction was the fact that despite this early warning and intelligence, commanders of navy, ground forces and air forces attended a wedding ceremony that night. When the putschists took action, tanks rolled into streets and fighter jets flew low over Istanbul and Ankara, many commanders, according to their testimony, learned the attempt via phone or television.

While the entire nation watched the whole drama on streets live on TV, perpetrators behind the coup and how it took place have largely gone unanswered. And the government’s control of media and subsequent crackdown on critical media renders it almost impossible to learn the whole truth.

Source: Turkey Times , December 5, 2016


Related News

Gülen asked government to be more careful on the language they use: Deputy PM Arınç

Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen asked the Turkish government to be more careful in regional and international issues during his visit, Deputy Prime Minister Bülent Arınç said May 22 in an interview with public broadcaster TRT. Arınç had meeting with Gülen, who lives in a self-imposed exiled in Pennsylvania, on the sidelines of Prime Minister Recep […]

HRW: 6 Turks taken from Kosovo to Turkey face risk of torture and abuse

Kenneth Roth, executive director of Human Rights Watch, on Saturday tweeted that six Turkish nationals who were arrested by Kosovar police on Thursday and apparently spirited out of the country by Turkish intelligence later in the day would face the risk of torture and abuse in Turkey.

Turkey’s Armenian Community: We are ready to be cultural bridge between people of Turkey, US

YONCA POYRAZ DOĞAN Archbishop Aram Ateşyan, deputy patriarch of the Armenian Patriarchate, based in İstanbul, told Sunday’s Zaman after returning from the Los Angeles Anatolian Cultures and Food Festival that Armenians are ready to be a bridge between the people of Turkey and the United States. “And having food at the festival makes it all […]

Former Turkish President Gül denies having any relationship with the Gülen movement or Fethullah Gülen but history tells…

In his answers, Gül denied having relations with neither the Gülen movement nor Fethullah Gülen. But, history tells the opposite: Gül attended many activities of the Gülen movement; he even hosted, in his official residence, students of Turkish schools from many countries during a Turkish Language and Culture Olympiad.

Turkey: Babies behind bars

Huseyin Sahnaz is seriously worried about his wife and infant child. After all, prisons are not exactly family-friendly institutions. Both have to share a cell with 30 other inmates. And temperatures during this time of year tend to reach 30 degrees Celsius (around 90 Fahrenheit) or higher.

Nigeria: Hizmet Movement not terrorists

The Concerned African Youth against Tyranny (CAYAT) has denied report that the Fethullah Gulen Movement and Hizmet Movement are terrorist groups. National Coordinator of the organisation, Mr. Musa Shaba said yesterday in Abuja that contrary to claims by the Turkish government the movement has become the face of Turkey in Nigeria and Africa.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish doctors perform 13,000 cataract operations in Sudan, Somalia

Norway reports 409 Turkish asylum seekers in past 18 months

No return from democracy, Zaman editor Dumanlı says under detention

US professor urges Washington not to extradite Gülen to Turkey

Scholars: Misconceptions of Islam still abound

Moldova Rights Activists Target Erdogan at Football Match

Fethullah Gülen’s initiatives for peace to be discussed in Rotterdam

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor