Amnesty: 500,000 Kurds displaced in Turkey’s Southeast due to curfews, crackdown


Date posted: December 6, 2016

Tens of thousands of residents of the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Sur are among an estimated half million people forced from their homes as a result of a brutal crackdown by Turkish authorities over the past year which may amount to collective punishment, said Amnesty International in a new report.

As the suppression of opposition Kurdish voices by the Turkish government intensifies, the report, “Displaced and Dispossessed: Sur residents’ right to return home,” reveals the desperate plight of families forced out of the historic center of Diyarbakır as a result of intensive security operations towards the end of last year and an ongoing round-the-clock curfew.

Homes in the once-bustling district have been destroyed by shelling, demolished and expropriated to pave the way for a redevelopment project that very few former residents are likely to benefit from.

“A year after a round-the-clock curfew was imposed in Sur, thousands of people remain displaced from their homes, struggling to make ends meet and facing an uncertain future in an increasingly repressive atmosphere,” said John Dalhuisen, Amnesty International’s Europe director.

“Whilst the crackdown on civil society in southeastern Turkey has been widely reported, there has been little coverage of the forced displacement which has devastated the lives of ordinary people under the pretext of security.”

Following the breakdown of a cease-fire in July 2015, clashes broke out between people affiliated with the outlawed Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) and Turkish security forces. In response to declarations of “self-governance,” the building of barricades and digging of trenches in Sur, the central district of Diyarbakır, and other towns across the Southeast, authorities began imposing 24-hour curfews and carrying out heavily militarized security operations.

Turkish soldiers patrol in Sur district, which is partially under curfew, in the Kurdish-dominated southeastern city of Diyarbakir, Turkey February 26, 2016. REUTERS/Sertac Kayar

Turkish soldiers patrol in Sur district, which is partially under curfew, in the Kurdish-dominated southeastern city of Diyarbakir, Turkey February 26, 2016. REUTERS/Sertac Kayar

On Dec. 11, 2015, an indefinite 24-hour curfew was declared in six of Sur’s 15 neighborhoods, preventing people from leaving their homes even to buy essential food or medical supplies. Police reportedly used loudspeakers to order people to leave. Water and electricity were cut for extended periods, while homes were rocked by army shells and peppered with bullets.

One woman who attempted to stay in her home told Amnesty International: “I was in the house with two children, we didn’t drink water for one week. One day a [tear] gas capsule was fired into the house. We didn’t have electricity for 20 days. I wanted to leave but I had nowhere to go.”

The clashes in Sur ended in March 2016, but the curfew has remained in large parts of the district. Following the forced evictions, almost all properties have been expropriated by Turkish authorities, with many buildings also demolished. Although return has been made almost impossible by the curfew and the destruction, some residents have ventured back only to find their homes ransacked and possessions looted or destroyed.

One man returned to his home eight months after being displaced to find all of its walls had collapsed. He told Amnesty International: “I can’t even cry any more. I have cried so much over losing my house.”

Police forced another man to leave his home, together with his father and brother, before detaining them. He told Amnesty International, “They forced us to leave with guns to our heads.” All three of them were initially charged with terrorism offenses, but the charges have subsequently been dropped. When he returned to his home he found that his possessions had been burnt.

A woman told Amnesty International that she was harassed by the police when she visited her home six months after being forced to leave, and is not planning to go back. “We found all our belongings broken and piled up in the courtyard,” she said. Her family were offered TL 3,000 (around 800 euros) compensation for the loss of their possessions, a fraction of what they were worth. Her daughter-in law said, “We were going to appeal but they said that this is all we would get, so we signed.”

In this combo of satellite imagery made available by DigitalGlobe through Amnesty International, shows the Sur district in the mainly Kurdish city of Diyarbakir, southeastern Turkey, top, on Nov. 8, 2015, before the major curfew put into effect on Dec. 11, 2015, and below on May 10, 2016, after the end of the armed clashes, showing a portion of buildings in the eastern half of the city have been damaged or demolished. In a report released Tuesday Dec. 6, 2016, human rights group Amnesty International says Turkish authorities have forcibly evicted tens of thousands of people during security operations in the pre-dominantly Kurdish district of Diyarbakir and prevented their return by expropriating and demolishing homes in a policy that may amount to collective punishment.(DigitalGlobe via AP)

In this combo of satellite imagery made available by DigitalGlobe through Amnesty International, shows the Sur district in the mainly Kurdish city of Diyarbakir, southeastern Turkey, top, on Nov. 8, 2015, before the major curfew put into effect on Dec. 11, 2015, and below on May 10, 2016, after the end of the armed clashes, showing a portion of buildings in the eastern half of the city have been damaged or demolished. In a report released Tuesday Dec. 6, 2016, human rights group Amnesty International says Turkish authorities have forcibly evicted tens of thousands of people during security operations in the pre-dominantly Kurdish district of Diyarbakir and prevented their return by expropriating and demolishing homes in a policy that may amount to collective punishment.(DigitalGlobe via AP)

Displaced residents have been unable to find adequate alternative housing that is affordable and have struggled to access essential services. Many lost their jobs when they were displaced and children have had their education severely disrupted or have dropped out of school altogether. Grossly inadequate compensation and a failure by authorities to provide sufficient –- or in some cases any -– rent assistance has pushed already impoverished families into greater hardship.

To compound the situation, the targeting of Kurdish opposition voices following the coup attempt has meant that NGOs providing vital support for poor and displaced people have now been shut down.

Residents reject government claims that the ongoing curfew and house demolitions are being done in the interest of security given that the clashes finished over eight months ago. Instead they see them as part of a calculated plan to redevelop their neighborhoods and resettle them elsewhere. An urban regeneration project first aired in 2012 has been resurrected, but details remain scant and residents have not been consulted. This follows a pattern of such projects in Turkey which have forcibly evicted residents who are never able to return home.

“On the bitter anniversary of the curfew in Sur, much of the population of this world heritage site have been forced to look on as their own heritage has been bulldozed,” said Dalhuisen.

“Shockingly, the desperate situation facing the displaced residents of Sur is mirrored in dozens of other districts across south-east Turkey. The government must act urgently to lift the curfew, ensure affected communities are fully compensated and either helped to return to what remains of their homes or, at the very least, to their neighborhoods.”

Sur is the central district of Diyarbakır, the largest city in the predominantly Kurdish Southeast of Turkey. Its ancient fortified walls and adjacent Hevsel Gardens were designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 2015.

Turkey is a party to a number of international and regional human rights treaties which require it to respect people’s rights to freedom of movement, adequate housing and other economic and social rights, as well as provide effective remedies for victims of human rights violations.

Source: Turkish Minute , December 6, 2016


Related News

Russian envoy’s murderer attended sermons of controversial pro-Erdoğan cleric

While the Turkish government insists on claiming that Mert Altıntaş, the police officer who assassinated the Russian ambassador to Ankara, is linked to the Gülen movement, it has been discovered that the gunman attended the sermons of Nurettin Yıldız, a staunch supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan.

Turkey: A climate of fear; losers in the aftermath of the coup attempt

Turkey at large will lose as Erdoğan chooses the retaliatory path and purges relentlessly, splitting the country into supporters and adversaries. A climate of fear and indignation will envelop not only the many institutions that were hit hard, but Turkey in general, and the Middle East will suffer even further than it is already suffering.

India must understand Erdogan’s ideological motives for seeking extradition of Gülenists

Since its inception in India, Hizmet is known for its peace activism, interfaith dialogue and counter-extremism. Operating in the country through interfaith dialogue centres, educational institutions and cultural associations, it is articulating an evolving narrative of peace, pluralism and non-violence based on the spiritual ideas and principles of Gülen’s progressive and dialogic narrative of Sufism, as this research paper also elaborates.

Int’l press organizations call for release of journalist Keneş, condemn arrest

New York-based press advocacy group the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) has called on Turkish authorities to immediately release Today’s Zaman Editor-in-Chief Bülent Keneş, condemning the arrest as a “relentless crackdown” on the press.

US high school students visit Turkey, give glowing reviews

A group of American students who came to İstanbul in a cultural exchange program have told Today’s Zaman that their warm reception in Turkey has caused them to view the country extremely positively.

Father says wife, 11-month-old son under arrest despite medical problems

Cengiz Zaza Akbaba, the husband of Gulistan Diken Akbaba said in a recent video that his wife and 11-month-old son have been under arrest despite the babies medical problems. “This child is only one of 560 children. Now, 560 children are not allowed to touch the soil, not allowed to see the sun,” Akbaba added.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Bishop Chane: Gülen one of the greatest scholars

Love is A Verb – forthcoming documentary on the Gülen Movement

Nigeria: Turkish international college constructs 90 hand pumps, boreholes in local communities

Main opposition CHP’s visit to Gülen organization a ‘unifying action’

Main opposition CHP says received no message from Fethullah Gülen

Hizmet: a social movement or political manipulation?

Gülen donates $15,000 to Japan victims

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor