Former Daimler chairman: Turkey’s purge reminds of me beginning of Nazi era


Date posted: November 8, 2016

Edzard Reuter, the son of the first mayor of West Berlin Ernst Reuter and the former chairman of the German automaker Daimler-Benz, said Turkey’s post-coup purge recalls what happened during early years of Nazi regime at his home country.

Reuter was forced to flee Germany to Turkey along with his family when Nazis consolidated power in 1933.

What is currently happening in Turkey reminds me of the beginnings of the Nazi era in Germany,” Reuter said in an interview with Turkish journalist Can Dündar, who now works for Germany’s Zeit media platform.

Turkey survived a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement, inspired by Gülen. The movement strongly denies any involvement in the coup attempt.

Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government launched a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

About 105,000 people have been purged from state bodies, in excess of 75,000 detained and over 35,000 have been arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian. Critics argue that lists of Gülen sympathizers were drawn up prior to the coup attempt.

In the latest post-coup purge, Turkish government detained 14 columnists and executives at secular newspaper, Cumhuriyet. The move was followed by detentions of 11 deputies of the pro-Kurdish Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) on late Thursday.

Source: Turkey Purge , November 5, 2016


Related News

2014: Towards an “Empire of Fear”

The judiciary package paved the way for the detention of all dissidents and the appropriation of their assets. Turkey became an “Empire of Fear” with the arrangements concerning MİT, internal security, reasonable suspicion and the criminal courts of peace.

Lahore High Court orders protection for Turkish teachers in Lahore

The Lahore High Court on Tuesday sought records from the Civil Aviation Authority regarding the arrival of a special Turkish plane late on October 13 to take a Turkish teacher back to his home country. The court had stayed the deportation of Mesut Kacmaz of Pak-Turk Schools and Colleges, who was among dozens of Turkish school staffers that had been granted temporary refugee status.

Today’s Zaman celebrates 6th anniversary with columnists, editors

Today’s Zaman editors and columnists came together to celebrate the daily’s sixth anniversary at a dinner on Monday night. Some 30 Today’s Zaman columnists and the daily’s editorial staff came together at the Today’s Zaman headquarters in İstanbul for the dinner. “Today’s Zaman has been acknowledged as a reliable source of news and analysis during […]

PM Erdoğan has one tone for Brussels, another for Turkey

Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdoğan shifted his rhetoric on his official visit to Brussels, dropping talk of a “parallel state” that is trying to unseat him when addressing European Union officials and foreign journalists — although he continued his defamation campaign against the Hizmet movement in meetings where he addressed Turkish audiences.

“Like a Storm”: Deportations Stun Turks in Kosovo

The families of six Turkish nationals hastily deported from Kosovo to Turkey in a secretive intelligence operation speak of violence, fear and uncertainty.

Police raid schools in Diyarbakır where locals go on strike in protest of recent gov’t practices

Police officers and inspectors carried out raids on a number of schools inspired by the faith-based Gülen movement as part of a government-led operation against the movement in southeastern province of Diyarbakır, where people have gone on strike in protest of the government’s recent practices in the province.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Ankara assassination: Why Erdogan blames the Gulenists and ignores the jihadists

More Divisions, More Democracy

Claims about TİB plot to libel Hizmet spark massive reaction

My Meeting With Fethullah Gülen, the Man Accused of Plotting Turkey’s Coup

German ambassador: Berlin does not recognize Gülen movement as ‘terrorist’ group

Erdoğan: Our people will punish Gülenists in the streets if they ever get out of jail

Turkey’s post-coup crackdown moves overseas

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor