Turkish high-schooler commits suicide after father was dismissed under emergency rules


Date posted: October 30, 2016

B.N.M., a freshman high school student killed herself allegedly after being bullied by classmates and lecturers over her teacher father’s dismissal from the profession due to his ties to the Gülen movement, on Oct. 24.

Father S.M. was sacked from his job at Boyabat Şehit Ersoy Gürsu High School over his alleged links to the movement, in a government decree issued under post-coup emergency rules on Sept. 1.

The government accuses the movement of masterminding the July 15 coup attempt but the latter denies any involvement.

According to an article released by local Boyabat Gündemi newspaper on Oct. 25 and removed the same day, 16-year-old B.N.M., a first-year student at the same school as her father worked before the dismissal, threw herself off the Boyabat fortress after her classmates and teachers started calling her as pro-FETÖ.

FETÖ [short for Fethullahist terrorist organization] is a derogatory term coined by the government in order to refer the sympathizers of the movement as terrorist although there is no court decision to that effect.

The girl was already dead when she was brought to the Boyabat 75. Yıl State Hospital, according to the article.

Apart from relatives, at least 22 people have reportedly committed suicide either after they were imprisoned over ties to the movement or after being linked to the movement outside prison. Some of these suicides are found to be suspicious.

Turkey experienced a military coup attempt on July 15 that killed over 240 people and wounded more than a thousand others. Immediately after the putsch, the Justice and Development Party (AK Party) government along with President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan pinned the blame on the Gülen movement.

Fethullah Gülen, who inspired the movement, called for an international investigation into the coup attempt, but President Erdoğan — calling the coup attempt “a gift from God” — and the government initiated a widespread purge aimed at cleansing sympathizers of the movement from within state institutions, dehumanizing its popular figures and putting them in custody.

More than 105,000 people have been purged from state bodies and 35,000 arrested since the coup attempt. Arrestees include journalists, judges, prosecutors, police and military officers, academics, governors and even a comedian.

Source: Turkey Purge , October 29, 2016


Related News

When the masks have fallen

It seems that the judiciary will be forced to investigate the claims of a so-called illegal organization, and sham trials will be performed to intimidate the Hizmet movement and cover up the corruption claims that become public on Dec. 17, 2013, by taking tactics from the former Ergenekon supporters nested within the army, the bureaucracy, business circles, the media and the judiciary.

Bosnians Protest at Student’s Arrest in Turkish Crackdown

Masetovic, a 21-year-old student at the University of Usak, was arrested last month in the western Turkish city, accused of being part of a network led by exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen. “At the time of the coup in Turkey, my son was at home in Bosnia and Herzegovina and had nothing to do with the events there,” his father Husein Masetovic was quoted as saying.

Erdoğan’s requests to shut down Turkish schools abroad perceived as patronizing

On the latest stop of his world tour to disparage Turkish schools abroad, President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan asked Albanians to shut down schools that boast scores of Albanian alumni, accusing the institutions of being part of a terrorist organization.

Özfatura: Erdoğan does not want civil society that is not pro-AK Party

Dr. Burhan Özfatura was witnessed the meetings of former President Turgut Özal and former Prime Minister Tansu Çiller with Fethullah Gülen. He says: “Both asked what they can do for him. Gülen told them not to believe anybody who asks for a favor by referring to himself.”

‘All religious groups and communities face great danger’

Religious sociologist Muhammet Çakmak is of the view that the logic of, “You are either with us or you are nothing,” threatens all religious groups and communities in Turkey. He also holds that this approach has no scholarly value or validity.

5 children abandoned in front of prison as mother detained

A video shared on social media shows five children left alone in tears in front of a Prison in Ankara after their mother was detained while they were visiting their father in prison. In the video a child opens the door of a car in the prison parking lot, showing his brothers crying, and says in tears, “We are five brothers, left alone. We have a handicapped brother. I commend those people to God’s punishment.”

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Detained woman, newborn baby transferred to police station 240 km away from home

Attempting to discredit Gülen by linking him to Israel

Turkey’s post-coup brain drain

Cambodian education minister: I’m proud of Turkish school students

Turkish PM heads to Brussels for tough talks with EU

Abant Platform discusses terror at UN headquarters in Vienna

Prosecutor says he was blocked from investigating new graft probe

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor