ABA urges Obama to protest Turkey’s suppression of free speech


Date posted: October 18, 2016

On September 1, the American Booksellers Association joined American publishers, authors, and librarians in a letter urging President Obama to protest the widespread suppression of free speech in Turkey during his September 4 meeting with Turkish President Tayyip Erdoğan in China.

In the letter co-signed by the Association of American Publishers, the Authors Guild, PEN America, and the American Library Association, ABA said a government crackdown that began following a failed coup attempt on July 15 is threatening democracy in Turkey. So far, the government has shut down 29 publishers, 16 television stations, 23 radio stations, 45 newspapers, and 15 magazines. It has also issued arrest warrants for 40 journalists and 47 employees of a newspaper.

“The United States….cannot allow the Turkish government to use the coup as a pretext for the suppression of free speech and other essential liberties,” the letter to President Obama said. “We ask you to urge President Erdoğan to allow the closed media companies to reopen and to desist from further efforts to suppress free speech.”

On September 4, the New York Times reported that the President focused on trying to heal a rift in relations between Turkey and the U.S. and said nothing to Erdoğan about the crackdown following the coup.


September 1, 2016

Hon. Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20500

Dear Mr. President:

The American book community is deeply troubled by the government’s suppression of free speech in Turkey in the weeks following the unsuccessful July 15 coup. Government censorship is the single most egregious threat to a democratic society, and we write to urge you to express your concern about these events at your meeting with President Erdoğan on Sunday.

According to a July 29 statement issued by the Turkish Publishers Association, three news agencies, 16 television stations, 23 radio stations, 45 newspapers, and 15 magazines have been shut down by the Turkish government since July 15, and arrest warrants have been issued for more than 40 journalists as well as 47 newspaper employees.

The crackdown has hit book publishers hard. Twenty-nine publishing houses have been closed under a “State of Emergency Decree” that requires them to surrender to the government “all goods, assets, rights, documents and papers.” There is no appeal from the order.

The wholesale suppression of media outlets is having a devastating effect on public debate in Turkey, already weakened by government attacks on the media. The State of Emergency Decree makes it impossible for the closed publishing houses to request compensation for the debts they have incurred in the course of business, a situation that threatens the economic viability of the entire Turkish publishing community, further weakening the diversity of voices within Turkish society and deepening the chill on the expression of opinion in Turkey.

The United States opposed the July 15 coup attempt as a threat to a democratically elected government. We cannot allow the Turkish government to use that threat as a pretext for suppressing free speech and depriving Turkish citizens of other essential civil liberties.

We ask your help in pressing President Erdoğan to allow the closed media companies to reopen and to cease further attempts to suppress free speech.

Sincerely,

Oren J. Teicher
Chief Executive Officer
American Booksellers Association
333 Westchester Ave., Suite S202
White Plains, NY 10604
[email protected]

Suzanne Nossel
Executive Director
PEN America
588 Broadway, Suite 303
New York, NY 10012
[email protected]

Tom Allen
President and Chief Executive Officer
Association of American Publishers
455 Massachusetts Ave. NW, Suite 700
Washington, DC 20001
[email protected]

James LaRue
Director
Office for Intellectual Freedom
Freedom to Read Foundation
American Library Association
50 E. Huron St.
Chicago, IL 60611
[email protected]

Mary Rasenberger
Executive Director
The Authors Guild
31 E. 32nd St.
New York, NY 10016
[email protected]

Source: American Booksellers Association , September 6, 2016


Related News

Aid organization head blasts terror probe

Turkey was shocked by a terror investigation against Kimse Yok Mu (KYM). According to a statement by the Ankara Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office, the organization was being probed over its alleged involvement in terrorism during activities during Eid al-Adha.

Ramadan Tent Dinner brings a flavor of the East to Bethlehem

The 10th annual Intercultural Dialogue and FriendshipRamadan Dinner celebrated the ninth month of the lunar Islamic calendar on Wednesday and Thursday nights in Bethlehem. The event was free and open to the public. Other organizers and sponsors of the event were Peace Islands Institute, Turkish Cultural Center Pennsylvania and the City of Bethlehem.

Yamanlar and Fatih High Schools’ success at International Science Olympiads

Yamanlar and Fatih Science High Schools won medals at the international physics, chemistry, biology and computer this summer as well. Sebahattin Kasap, CEO of Yamanlar Education Institutions, said; “207 out of 391 medals won so far at the international Olympiads by Turkish student won by Yamanlar Science High School students. We are happy to represent Turkey successfully”.

Former intel chief calls for use of ASALA, MOSSAD tactics to kill Gülen followers

İsmail Hakkı Pekin, a former intelligence chief of the Turkish General Staff, has suggested that Turkey make use of tactics it used against Armenian militant group, the Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia (ASALA), and those employed by Israeli intelligence agency MOSSAD against Nazis in order to assassinate followers of the Gülen movement abroad.

Kaçmaz family deportation case: Lahore High Court seeks record of Civil Aviation Authority

The Lahore High Court (LHC) sought record of Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) of planes arrived and departed for Turkey from Allama Iqbal International Airport on 13-14 October, on Tuesday. The record is sought to investigate the forced deportation of Kacmaz family, despite them being under UN protection.

High court accepts indictment against Cihaner and Gen. Berk

The Supreme Court of Appeals on Friday accepted an indictment concerning a former third army commander and a prosecutor, who is currently a Republican People’s Party (CHP) deputy, accusing the two men of founding and running a terrorist group. 2 March 2012 / TODAY’S ZAMAN, İSTANBUL The action plan details a military plan to destroy […]

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkish schools in Romania celebrate 20th year

You couldn’t meet a nicer bunch of people: answer to defamation

Frontal assault on free enterprise in Turkey: The case of prep-schools

Erdoğan’s former speechwriter: Call for Gülen’s return was tactical move

Moldovan orphans demand Kimse Yok Mu assistance continue

Ramadan Dinner Downtown Brings Cultures Together in Celebration

[Part 5] Gülen says ballot box is not everything in a democracy

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor