Minister: Turkish gov’t racks up $5 bln in confiscation of Gülen-linked properties


Date posted: October 8, 2016

The value of immovable properties including dormitories, real estates and schools that the government has confiscated as part of its clampdown against Gülen movement so far, totals around TL 15 billion or $4.9 billion, according to Environment and Urban Planning Minister Mehmet Özhaseki.

A total of 3,333 premises were taken over by the Finance Ministry and 2,086 others by the Prime Ministry’s Directorate General of Foundations as part of government decrees issued under emergency rules, Özhaseki said.

The government seized another 1,176 properties that were not covered by decrees, the minister said adding that authorities also blocked 155,000 transactions concerning sales and transfers of properties.

“All those immovable properties worth around TL 15 billion,” Özhaseki said.

Yet, figures given by the minister do not fit with those of Akın İpek, the CEO of Koza İpek Holding until the conglomerate’s confiscation, who said that 18 of the group’s confiscated companies alone were worth over $10 billion.

Government-run Savings Deposit Insurance Fund (TMSF) President Şakir Ercan Gül announced this week that the government has seized a total of 252 companies over their alleged links to the movement.

The government accuses the movement of masterminding a July 15 coup attempt even though the latter denies involvement, demanding credible evidence.

The government’s crackdown against the movement, however, is not limited to the period following the coup attempt since the managements of many institutions affiliated with the movement have already seized by the TMSF over the course of the past three years.

Among the large conglomerates that have recently been confiscated by the TMSF are Koza-İpek Holding, Boydak Holding, Dumankaya Holding, Kaynak Holding and Naksan Holding.

The government also seized Turkey’s then-largest Islamic lender, Bank Asya, over its ties to the movement.

Source: Turkey Purge , October 8, 2016


Related News

Washington Post on Erdoğan’s purge: Cruel frenzy in march towards authoritarianism

Mr. Erdogan, the Turkish president who was the target of a failed coup last July, has since carried out a wave of arbitrary punishments and imprisonments of thousands of journalists, academics, bureaucrats, lawyers and human rights defenders he suspects of affiliation with Mr. Gulen and his movement. This cruel frenzy is just the latest step in Mr. Erdogan’s march toward authoritarianism.

Rebecca Harms: Working in Gülen-linked educational institutions not a crime

Speaking during the general assembly of the European Parliament (EP) on Thursday, Harms said working in institutions such as schools or universities with links to the Gülen movement is not a crime and that, similarly, being critical of the government and being a critical journalist are not crimes.

Sultan of Zing: Erdogan’s power trip makes African pit stop

Erdogan came to Tanzania, Mozambique and Madagascar believing that if he waved around the prospect of massive investment, the governments would shut down the Gulen schools and give marching orders to the Turkish nationals running them. It turned out at the African states quite like having well-resourced schools catering for the local elites and did not oblige.

Horrific Torture Details Emerge In Turkey’s Capital, A Lawyer Reveals

“I feel totally ashamed as a jurist for gross human rights violations and heavy torture practices I have come to know while I was practicing my [lawyer] profession”. The lawyer asks not only his name be kept confidential but also his client for fear of their lives and negative repercussions for sharing details of torture.

GYV: Hard-won democratic gains sacrificed for short-term interests

The move to seek the extradition of Fethullah Gülen using irrational justifications, the pressures on those businesspeople who sympathize with the Hizmet movement and the boycotts and sufferings that came in the wake of Erdoğan’s threat, “Do not given them [the Hizmet movement] even a single drop of water,” are the sort of developments unseen even during coup eras.

Gülen, a man of peace, not behind attempted coup in Turkey

Despite Gülen’s repeated denials of any involvement and his open call for an investigation by an international commission, no concrete effort has been made to find out the true perpetrators of the heinous attempt. Instead, a state of emergency, which still continues today, was declared and is used to silence the opposition and all other critical voices.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

In rare interview: Fethullah Gulen rebukes Turkish regime

Muslim world in transition: Contributions of the Gülen Movement

Turkey cooperating with Israel to help Gaza

Ethio-Turkish businesswomen to strengthen business ties

Rumi Forum Hosts Dinner Celebrating Ramadan

‘Portraying Hizmet against settlement process groundless’

CSOs across Turkey slam campaign under way to discredit Hizmet movement

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor