CHP leader says Erdoğan’s UN speech only served to promote Gülen movement

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu
Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu


Date posted: September 26, 2016

Republican People’s Party (CHP) leader Kemal Kılıçdaroğlu has criticized a speech delivered by Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan at a UN meeting on Tuesday in which he called on world leaders to take measures against the faith-based Gülen movement, saying that Erdoğan’s speech only served to promote the Gülen movement.

Speaking at a meeting of his party on Thursday, Kılıçdaroğlu said as a citizen and leader of the main opposition party, he was ashamed of the speech Erdoğan delivered at the UN General Assembly.

“It was not clear whether he was speaking to world leaders or muhtars [neighborhood heads]. It became a meeting in which the [Gülen] community was the subject. He introduced the community to the world, he made it famous. If the community had worked 20 years, it would not have achieved what the president has done [for its reputation],” said the CHP leader.

Speaking during the UN General Assembly on Tuesday, Erdoğan said the movement had threatened Turkey’s national security by plotting a July 15 coup attempt that killed more than 270 people.

Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, who lives in self-imposed exile in the US and is the inspiration of the Gülen movement, a civil society initiative promoting worldwide interfaith dialogue, peace and tolerance, has repeatedly denied Erdoğan’s accusations and offered to return to Turkey if any concrete evidence that demonstrates his involvement in the coup attempt is brought before an international commission that would investigate the plotters of the coup.

The Justice and Development Party (AKP) government and President Erdoğan have also designated the Gülen movement a terrorist organization and have launched a widespread crackdown on suspected members since the failed coup.

Source: Turkish Minute , September 22, 2016


Related News

Gülen’s lawyer issues written warning to pro-gov’t media outlets

Nurullah Albayrak, the lawyer representing Turkish Islamic scholar Fethullah Gülen, on Thursday issued a written warning to pro-government media outlets on social media for their persistent use of the expressions “parallel structure” — a term invented by President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan to refer to followers of the Hizmet movement — and “Fethullah Gülen terrorist organization” — referred to in the dailies as FETÖ — on the grounds that they are making baseless claims regarding the faith-based movement.

Senegalese deputies say Turkish schools taught them fraternity

A delegation of Senegalese deputies who visited a Turkish schools in Dakar expressed their with Turkish schools in the country saying that they taught them fraternity and charity.

‘Portraying Hizmet against settlement process groundless’

In an interview with the Zaman daily last week, GYV vice president Cemal Uşak categorically denied the aspersions that have been cast on the Hizmet movement on social media for a couple of years and in conventional media for the last three months that claim that the Hizmet movement has been against the settlement process.

Kimse Yok Mu provides vocational training for Palestinian orphans

The schools will train 32 students in total in air-conditioning and Turkish language. Additionally, 50 new students including the ones at this school will be sent to Turkey for study. KYM’s official in Jerusalem, Harun Tokak, said “Every country has an orphan population but Palestinian has too many. We have to take care of these children. We’re here to embrace them and will hopefully achieve it.”

Gulen Accuses Erdogan of ‘Hijacking’ Kosovo Deportees

Fethullah Gulen, the Turkish preacher who has lived in voluntary exile in the US since 1999, on Tuesday criticized the deportation of six Turkish citizens from Kosovo to Turkey in an operation conducted by Turkish state intelligence, likening it to a hijacking.

Kyrgyz President Atambayev: Sebat Turkish schools won’t be shut down

We won’t be closing down the Sebat schools,” President Almazbek Atambayev reiterated on July 24 during his annual press conference.

Latest News

Fethullah Gulen – man of education, peace and dialogue – passes away

Fethullah Gülen’s Condolence Message for South African Human Rights Defender Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Hizmet Movement Declares Core Values with Unified Voice

Ankara systematically tortures supporters of Gülen movement, Kurds, Turkey Tribunal rapporteurs say

Erdogan possessed by Pharaoh, Herod, Hitler spirits?

Devious Use of International Organizations to Persecute Dissidents Abroad: The Erdogan Case

A “Controlled Coup”: Erdogan’s Contribution to the Autocrats’ Playbook

Why is Turkey’s Erdogan persecuting the Gulen movement?

Purge-victim man sent back to prison over Gulen links despite stage 4 cancer diagnosis

In Case You Missed It

Turkey’s latest bombing will help its president amass more power

Silencing Taraf daily

Would you buy me a pair of eyes on Valentine’s Day?

Gulen’s new book: “Muslims’ Responsibility in Countering Violence”

‘Nigeria Moving Towards Peaceful, Happy Future’

KYM volunteer doctors distribute Ramadan aid in Kenya

Fethullah Gulen Cited among Watkins’ 2019 the Most Spiritually Influential 100 Living People

Copyright 2025 Insightful Neighbor